2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

As of October 4, 2018 at 722pm.

If Jets ended up being a top 10 loser then

Edge Nick Bosa, Ohio State.

Edge Clelllin Ferrell, Clemson.

LT Jonah Williams, Alabama.

If Jets managed to finish the season better than bottom 10-15 and top 3 were gone then

--in absolutely no order.--

TE Noah Fant, Iowa.

RB David Montgomery, Iowa State.

WR N'Neal Harry, Arizona State.

WR Bryan Edwards, South Carolina.

WR Kelvin Harmon, North Carolina State.

CB Jamal Peters, Mississippi State.

C Elgton Jenkins, Mississippi State.

OLB Montez Sweat, Mississippi State.

8 minutes ago, Squatch481 said:

How about Andre Dillard in the 3rd?

2 pt stance may cause the problem for his value but for 3rd round I like it.   He could be taken way before 3rd round if he showed he can play 3 pt stance during all star/pro coach evaluation.

I like him more at LG but go for it for LT gig.

Edited by JetsandI

We need pass rushers. I saw someone mention moving Adams to LB and move to a 4-3. No thank you. He’s a safety. We have the pieces on the line. Williamson and Lee aren’t a weakness at LB and the secondary isn’t bad at all (I think we should upgrade from Claiborne). For me it’s coaching for the secondary. There shouldn’t be a down we play not in press coverage. Edge is what we need for sure. FA class looks promising there though. But for now... how inept we are on offense outweighs the need of edge imo.

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

We need pass rushers. I saw someone mention moving Adams to LB and move to a 4-3. No thank you. He’s a safety. We have the pieces on the line. Williamson and Lee aren’t a weakness at LB and the secondary isn’t bad at all (I think we should upgrade from Claiborne). For me it’s coaching for the secondary. There shouldn’t be a down we play not in press coverage. Edge is what we need for sure. FA class looks promising there though. But for now... how inept we are on offense outweighs the need of edge imo.

Makes more sense to get another ILB and move Lee to WLB than to bring Adams down to ILB. But we'd still lack a real 4-3 DE.

2 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

Makes more sense to get another ILB and move Lee to WLB than to bring Adams down to ILB. But we'd still lack a real 4-3 DE.

I think its pretty irresponsible to be drafting guys in Round 1 (never mind top 10) and then change their position.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I think its pretty irresponsible to be drafting guys in Round 1 (never mind top 10) and then change their position.

Uh, I'm pretty sure everyone had WLB as his best fit. Not his fault Bowles was too busy squeezing that square peg through a round hole.

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Few things.  That was me suggesting we move him to WILL.  He's basically a LB already as he lines up close to the LOS on most plays already.  The WILL/SS in a nickel 4-3 is basically a good tackling SS which fits his skill set perfectly.  Changing positions is one thing, changing what a player does well is another.  Adams is a great run stuffing safety, attacks when given space, and is fast enough to cover TE's and play zone coverage.  The 4-3 WILL/SS position is ideal for him while continuing to allow him to play to his strengths.  Moving him to ILB in a 3-4 would be a bad idea because you would be asking him to take on lead blockers, see the difference?  Lee and Adams both fit in the 4-3 just perfectly. 

Why would we need to upgrade Mo, he's been our best CB this year.  I don't see CB as a major need.  Of course you can always look to improve but we have way bigger fish to fry then upgrading Mo.

We are equally inept at getting to the QB, pass rush is a major need as is OL.  No other position trumps those two.  OL helps the offense as a whole as well as Darnold just getting more comfortable and developing as does pass rush help the secondary.  WR/RB is a distant 3rd for me.  

Edited by Rockice_8

19 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Few things.  That was me suggesting we move him to WILL.  He's basically a LB already as he lines up close to the LOS on most plays already.  The WILL/SS in a nickel 4-3 is basically a good tackling SS which fits his skill set perfectly.  Changing positions is one thing, changing what a player does well is another.  Adams is a great run stuffing safety, attacks when given space, and is fast enough to cover TE's and play zone coverage.  The 4-3 WILL/SS position is ideal for him while continuing to allow him to play to his strengths.  Moving him to ILB in a 3-4 would be a bad idea because you would be asking him to take on lead blockers, see the difference?  Lee and Adams both fit in the 4-3 just perfectly. 

Why would we need to upgrade Mo, he's been our best CB this year.  I don't see CB as a major need.  Of course you can always look to improve but we have way bigger fish to fry then upgrading Mo.

We are equally inept at getting to the QB, pass rush is a major need as is OL.  No other position trumps those two.  OL helps the offense as a whole as well as Darnold just getting more comfortable and developing as does pass rush help the secondary.  WR/RB is a distant 3rd for me.  

And then we need 2 pass rushers. Bc Jenkins becomes rather useless in a 4-3. As an edge setter in a 3-4 he's at least useful. We also would have way too many DTs and would have wasted assets in that regard as well. I totally agree Edge is a need. But in todays NFL you have to score points. And we cant do that with UDFAs on offense. We have to start spending high picks on the side of the ball the NFL caters to. Not the side that if you look at a guy its a roughing call.

38 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

And then we need 2 pass rushers. Bc Jenkins becomes rather useless in a 4-3. As an edge setter in a 3-4 he's at least useful. We also would have way too many DTs and would have wasted assets in that regard as well. I totally agree Edge is a need. But in todays NFL you have to score points. And we cant do that with UDFAs on offense. We have to start spending high picks on the side of the ball the NFL caters to. Not the side that if you look at a guy its a roughing call.

We need 2 pass rushers anyway and I'm not going to lose sleep over an ok edge setter.  Pretty sure you can find some LB and DE rotational plays for him.  Lee is pretty useless in 3-4 as is Williams/Shepard who get double teamed 2-gapping as 34 DE's for some reason so why are you focused on Jenkins only?  Who else would be wasted assets?  We didn't draft anyone else at DT high after Shep/Williams.  Shepard would be the other DT and guys like Pennel and McClendon, Faustuki would be situational depth.  The idea is put high drafted players like Adams, Lee, Williams, Shepard, Maye in position to be successful.  Right now only Adams/Maye are the only two in the right spot and the shift to 43 does nothing to take them out of their spots.  

We go and draft a speedy LB in Lee and then play him in a 3-4 ILB.  You love Deion Jones but you know what ATL did they played him in a 43 OLB spot so he can use that speed.  We go and draft freakish DT's to get interior rush (Williams and Shepard) and go play them as 34 DE's to eat up space.  It's almost like we are trying to not use our players to their ability.  Not many teams can make the switch in one offseason we could.  

It's a joke how a defensive coach refuses to put his players in position to be successful.   

Edited by Rockice_8

4 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

We need 2 pass rushers anyway and I'm not going to lose sleep over an ok edge setter.  Pretty sure you can find some LB and DE rotational plays for him.  Lee is pretty useless in 3-4 as is Williams/Shepard who get double teamed 2-gapping as 34 DE's for some reason so why are you focused on Jenkins only?  Who else would be wasted assets?  We didn't draft anyone else at DT high after Shep/Williams.  Shepard would be the other DT and guys like Pennel and McClendon, Faustuki would be situational depth.  The idea is put high drafted players like Adams, Lee, Williams, Shepard, Maye in position to be successful.  Right now only Adams/Maye are the only two in the right spot and the shift to 43 does nothing to take them out of their spots.  

We go and draft a speedy LB in Lee and then play him in a 3-4 ILB.  You love Deion Jones but you know what ATL did they played him in a 43 OLB spot so he can use that speed.  We go and draft freakish DT's to get interior rush (Williams and Shepard) and go play them as 34 DE's to eat up space.  It's almost like we are trying to not use our players to their ability.  Not many teams can make the switch in one offseason we could.  

It's a joke how a defensive coach refuses to put his players in position to be successful.   

Thank you! Lee has already proven to be great as a situational blitzer and decent enough in coverage to really open up the 3rd and long defensive playbook. Leo is already getting worked over between the tackles, so putting him closer to the center won't kill us. Even if we put him at the end, at least he'd be in a better position to avoid a double team or have teams risk opening up holes in the middle of the pocket.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Thank you! Lee has already proven to be great as a situational blitzer and decent enough in coverage to really open up the 3rd and long defensive playbook. Leo is already getting worked over between the tackles, so putting him closer to the center won't kill us. Even if we put him at the end, at least he'd be in a better position to avoid a double team or have teams risk opening up holes in the middle of the pocket.

Allowing Williams and Shep to use their athleticism to collapse the pocket is using them correctly.  Just sign two cheap run stuffers like McClendon and stick them at DE's if you are going to play a 3-4 and spend the money or top picks on rushers.  The way this team is being coached defensively is atrocious.  Mac is picking 4-3 players and Bowles is sticking to his 3-4 scheme.  Either get on the same page or get out!!!    

Edited by Rockice_8