2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

7 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Allowing Williams and Shep to use their athleticism to collapse the pocket is using them correctly.  Just sign two cheap run stuffers like McClendon and stick them at DE's if you are going to play a 3-4 and spend the money or top picks on rushers.  The way this team is being coached defensively is atrocious.  Mac is picking 4-3 players and Bowles is sticking to his 3-4 scheme.  Either get on the same page or get out!!!    

I have a deep dark feeling that Mac is picking up 4-3 players because Bowles feels like they fit whatever version of the 3-4 he's got concocted in his head.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

I have a deep dark feeling that Mac is picking up 4-3 players because Bowles feels like they fit whatever version of the 3-4 he's got concocted in his head.

Like Coples at OLB.  These coaches think they are smarter then they really are sometimes.  It's not Bowles scheme that is bad it's the players he is trying to fit into it.  Build you scheme to fit your players or make sure you draft the right players to fit said scheme like NE. 

Why can't we be like the Jags.  They run a 4-3 because they have electric LB's, an attacking DL and press CB's.  We have all that in place except for the pass rushing DE"s.  Once we get them we can have that type of defense and can focus the rest of our assets on offense line and weapons for our QB.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

We need 2 pass rushers anyway and I'm not going to lose sleep over an ok edge setter.  Pretty sure you can find some LB and DE rotational plays for him.  Lee is pretty useless in 3-4 as is Williams/Shepard who get double teamed 2-gapping as 34 DE's for some reason so why are you focused on Jenkins only?  Who else would be wasted assets?  We didn't draft anyone else at DT high after Shep/Williams.  Shepard would be the other DT and guys like Pennel and McClendon, Faustuki would be situational depth.  The idea is put high drafted players like Adams, Lee, Williams, Shepard, Maye in position to be successful.  Right now only Adams/Maye are the only two in the right spot and the shift to 43 does nothing to take them out of their spots.  

We go and draft a speedy LB in Lee and then play him in a 3-4 ILB.  You love Deion Jones but you know what ATL did they played him in a 43 OLB spot so he can use that speed.  We go and draft freakish DT's to get interior rush (Williams and Shepard) and go play them as 34 DE's to eat up space.  It's almost like we are trying to not use our players to their ability.  Not many teams can make the switch in one offseason we could.  

It's a joke how a defensive coach refuses to put his players in position to be successful.   

I don't disagree with this. But you have to score points to win. And that's my main point. Is we need offense. Not spend yet another 1st rounder on defense.

• Like 2

FSU vs Miami game...  I watched it briefly to check out Brian Burns and Joe Jackson.

Some analysis said Joe Jackson was weak.  I don't care about FSU's struggling OL but 255 lber that can push 295+ lber out of position suggests he has strength.  Not much of seeing his pass rushing moves due to delay action. Bad timing for me.

Brian Burns looks like Safety. Yuck!  He surely moves swiftly but you can beat him with only one hand. Oh well!

On 10/5/2018 at 5:04 PM, Bobby816 said:

I don't disagree with this. But you have to score points to win. And that's my main point. Is we need offense. Not spend yet another 1st rounder on defense.

Agree. Just get an edge guy in FA. That should be enough to be solid on defense. Spend the rest of our resources on offense. 

On 10/4/2018 at 6:30 PM, JetsandI said:

As of October 4, 2018 at 722pm.

If Jets ended up being a top 10 loser then

Edge Nick Bosa, Ohio State.

Edge Clelllin Ferrell, Clemson.

LT Jonah Williams, Alabama.

If Jets managed to finish the season better than bottom 10-15 and top 3 were gone then

--in absolutely no order.--

TE Noah Fant, Iowa.

RB David Montgomery, Iowa State.

WR N'Neal Harry, Arizona State.

WR Bryan Edwards, South Carolina.

WR Kelvin Harmon, North Carolina State.

CB Jamal Peters, Mississippi State.

C Elgton Jenkins, Mississippi State.

OLB Montez Sweat, Mississippi State.

Why no Greg Little? Or AJ Brown?

3 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Why no Greg Little? Or AJ Brown?

Little should be up there but AJ hasn’t lived up to his hype so far, playing a vast majority of his snaps out of the slot, struggling with press coverage, and hasn’t really shown the type of athleticism you’d hope for. DK Metcalf on the other hand should be up there. #WR1

Lets talk about the 2019 season, if we are able to pickup two top FA players in the off season, I really believe we could be a legitimate playoff contender. I am not  expecting to much help thru the draft, because we have only one pick in the first 75 picks in the draft. For the first time since the Decker & Marshall era we have plenty of weapons  on offensive. This year is a learning year for Darnold, the coaching staff has a tight leash on him. Darnold,  threw four long passes that were right on the money, three went for TD's and the fourth was to Enunwa, which should have of been a TD. but the D back for Denver was pulling his jersey and the refs never called it.

I guess I am in the minority but Shine has played very well this year, and has made many big plays. For the first time in a long time we are in the process of putting a complete team together both on offensive and defensive. Rob Anderson might be a one trick pony, BUT HE IS A BIG PIECE OF THE PUZZLE.

On 10/5/2018 at 6:04 PM, Bobby816 said:

Can't go into the draft thinking all offense when pass rusher is clearly the prime position this year.  Not ignoring a guy like Little or if a stud WR is there but I'm also not passing on an elite pass rusher for a lesser talent just because they play offense.  Got to stick to BPA when the answer is clear.  I'm all for an elite WR to grow with Darnold but if we let QB's stand in the pocket for 5-6 seconds either.

There is so much time to evaluate these guys but there are no top 15 WR's in this class and obviously no reason to draft a RB top 10 either.  That basically leaves LT as the only option if you want to go offense.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Can't go into the draft thinking all offense when pass rusher is clearly the prime position this year.  Not ignoring a guy like Little or if a stud WR is there but I'm also not passing on an elite pass rusher for a lesser talent just because they play offense.  Got to stick to BPA when the answer is clear.  I'm all for an elite WR to grow with Darnold but if we let QB's stand in the pocket for 5-6 seconds either.

There is so much time to evaluate these guys but there are no top 15 WR's in this class and obviously no reason to draft a RB top 10 either.  That basically leaves LT as the only option if you want to go offense.

Our defense would be top 5 with a real pass rusher. All our sacks are either on corner blitzes or coverage sacks. Stud WRs can be easily had outside the 1st round; Michael Thomas, AB, Diggs, Theilen, Kupp, JuJu, Tate, Tyreek, Golladay, etc are all league leaders picked outside the first. You usually don't get an elite pass rusher outside the 1st.

On 10/7/2018 at 9:06 AM, Dr.O said:

Little should be up there but AJ hasn’t lived up to his hype so far, playing a vast majority of his snaps out of the slot, struggling with press coverage, and hasn’t really shown the type of athleticism you’d hope for. DK Metcalf on the other hand should be up there. #WR1

I haven't seen his play this year. It's unfortunate he hasn't stepped up. I watched some of his cut ups from last year and thought he would really good. 

Edited by SDotNova

Going into the season, I thought we needed 2 edge guys, an offensive weapon, LT and LG to be serious contenders. 

Five games in I think our edge guys have played well. Jordan Jenkins is forming into a good number 2 edge guy. And we have decent backups. Still missing that number 1 guy though.

On the OL, Long is becoming a concern. Hopefully he turns it around and we don’t have fill his spot. Probably worth drafting his eventual replacement though with a mid round pick.

Edited by SDotNova
  • Like 1

Couple players I’ve always felt are playing out of position are Barr and Vic Beasley. PFF noted that Atl may be on course to trading Beasley in the article below. What do you think his trade value would be after this season? Assuming we stick to a 3-4 defense, I think he would excel at edge in our current scheme.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-trades-wed-like-to-see-after-the-first-quarter-of-the-season

22 hours ago, SDotNova said:

Going into the season, I thought we needed 2 edge guys, an offensive weapon, LT and LG to be serious contenders. 

Five games in I think our edge guys have played well. Jordan Jenkins is forming into a good number 2 edge guy. And we have decent backups. Still missing that number 1 guy though.

On the OL, Long is becoming a concern. Hopefully he turns it around and we don’t have fill his spot. Probably worth drafting his eventual replacement though with a mid round pick.

Good post.  

Order of Importance for me
Pass Rusher
C
LG
WR

Those 4 positions in that order are where I would focus this offseason.  Long has been awful and the pass rusher is still a huge concern against competent OL's.  Carp has been solid but we could use a future LG to groom.  @ekill08x will hate this but Winters has been stellar so far.  Beach and Shell has been decent enough but it's really been the play of Long that has been the big issue.  Need to use one of those 3rd rounders on a good young C.  Finally another WR to play opposite Anderson with Q in the slot is a need as well. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Couple players I’ve always felt are playing out of position are Barr and Vic Beasley. PFF noted that Atl may be on course to trading Beasley in the article below. What do you think his trade value would be after this season? Assuming we stick to a 3-4 defense, I think he would excel at edge in our current scheme.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-trades-wed-like-to-see-after-the-first-quarter-of-the-season

I would love me some Beasley or Barr on this team.