2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

44 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Just a difference of opinion. Bc I think talent wise on offense we are very far off. We have 0 playmakers on that side of the ball. In a league where most teams have at least 2.

I think Robbie can be a playmaker if he just got a little stronger . Most games l listened to the Jets on radio. The broadcasters made the point that Robbie can’t win contested balls because he lacks the strenght to take the ball away from the defender. If Wischusen and Lyons can see that why can’t the coaching staff? Robbie needs to be in the gym building his hand and arm strenght. Q has the size and speed to play outside in the Z position but the coaches seem to like playing him in the slot. Is it because he can’t run the routes or just because the coaches think he’s better in the slot?

34 minutes ago, Rich51 said:

I think Robbie can be a playmaker if he just got a little stronger . Most games l listened to the Jets on radio. The broadcasters made the point that Robbie can’t win contested balls because he lacks the strenght to take the ball away from the defender. If Wischusen and Lyons can see that why can’t the coaching staff? Robbie needs to be in the gym building his hand and arm strenght. Q has the size and speed to play outside in the Z position but the coaches seem to like playing him in the slot. Is it because he can’t run the routes or just because the coaches think he’s better in the slot?

Agreed about Robby. I'm not sure if he just cant gain weight or that he doesn't care to. This is something that should be addressed. I'm not saying he needs to be Julio Jones, but he should be capable of adding AJ Green type strength to not get bullied by defenders. Regarding Q I think we like him in the slot bc he's a mismatch there. He's too big for slot CBs and to fast and quick for safeties. I like him in the slot, he just cant stay healthy.

11 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Q isn’t reliable and Robby is a 1 trick pony. That’s hardly a good WR core. We homer our own. These guys aren’t that good. We need 2 WRs.

In a perfect world sure but look at the best offenses in the NFL how many of them are 4 deep with high end talent?  None really.  ATL has a great core and their 4th WR is Justin Hardy.  Rams (Josh Reynolds), KC (Chris Conley).  None of these guys are world beaters.

We likely bring in 2 WR's but we just need 1 impact WR is my point to add to our core and the other is more depth maybe a late third early 4th or just sign a guy like Adam Humphries or Jordan Mathews.  Hell Conley and Hardy are both FA's if you want to bring them in as the 4th WR for cheap.

Sam was the #1 rated QB weeks 14-17 with Robby finally healthy and Herndon stepping up.  Sam can be plenty successful with a core of Robby, Q, Herndon and maybe a guy like Funchess/Williams if we brought either of them in or if we can get our hands on a WR in the draft.  The 4th WR is not going to be highly drafted or expensive most likely just a vet like Kearse who you can trust even though he really disappointed this year.  

We have way bigger issues then using a high draft pick or signing an expensive FA to be the 4th WR.  We really need one impact guy and one 4th/5th round type to push Burnett.

We nearly had two 1,000 yard WR's just a few years ago with a good OC and a low end vet QB if McCown didn't get hurt.  If the scheme is good and Sam progresses suddenly guys like Q, Anderson, Kearse, Herndon, whoever else look better.  We need 1 impact WR and OL first before spending value on a 4th WR.   

9 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

In a perfect world sure but look at the best offenses in the NFL how many of them are 4 deep with high end talent?  None really.  ATL has a great core and their 4th WR is Justin Hardy.  Rams (Josh Reynolds), KC (Chris Conley).  None of these guys are world beaters.

We likely bring in 2 WR's but we just need 1 impact WR is my point to add to our core and the other is more depth maybe a late third early 4th or just sign a guy like Adam Humphries or Jordan Mathews.  Hell Conley and Hardy are both FA's if you want to bring them in as the 4th WR for cheap.

Sam was the #1 rated QB weeks 14-17 with Robby finally healthy and Herndon stepping up.  Sam can be plenty successful with a core of Robby, Q, Herndon and maybe a guy like Funchess/Williams if we brought either of them in or if we can get our hands on a WR in the draft.  The 4th WR is not going to be highly drafted or expensive most likely just a vet like Kearse who you can trust even though he really disappointed this year.  

We have way bigger issues then using a high draft pick or signing an expensive FA to be the 4th WR.  We really need one impact guy and one 4th/5th round type to push Burnett.

We nearly had two 1,000 yard WR's just a few years ago with a good OC and a low end vet QB if McCown didn't get hurt.  If the scheme is good and Sam progresses suddenly guys like Q, Anderson, Kearse, Herndon, whoever else look better.  We need 1 impact WR and OL first before spending value on a 4th WR.   

For starters when you factor in a great QB... yes they don’t need as much talent. Darnold isn’t that. So he needs the talent to groom into that guy that can make talent better. But that’s likely years away. So my point still stands that most teams have atleast 2 difference makers. We have 0

Just now, Bobby816 said:

For starters when you factor in a great QB... yes they don’t need as much talent. Darnold isn’t that. So he needs the talent to groom into that guy that can make talent better. But that’s likely years away. So my point still stands that most teams have atleast 2 difference makers. We have 0

I disagree but obviously won't change your mind.  I think Anderson is certainly a difference maker when he was healthy as one of the premier deep threats in this league.  Call him a one trick pony all you like he is a game changer.  Herndon is trending on his way as well.

Adding Bell will be huge for us if we can do it.  Q can be a difference maker if he can just stay healthy.

You don't need a AJ Green or a Julio Jones to have a good offense and develop a QB.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rockice_8 said:

I disagree but obviously won't change your mind.  I think Anderson is certainly a difference maker when he was healthy as one of the premier deep threats in this league.  Call him a one trick pony all you like he is a game changer.  Herndon is trending on his way as well.

Adding Bell will be huge for us if we can do it.  Q can be a difference maker if he can just stay healthy.

You don't need a AJ Green or a Julio Jones to have a good offense and develop a QB.

I think we're not far off in our opinions. I've never said we don't need Q or Robby. I like both of them. What I don't like is either of them being  a 1st option. They're #3 WRs that at times play like #2s. I don't think we 100% need to have a Julio Jones on this team (although I'd love that). But my point is we need more options, especially with both those players pasts (injured and off the field issues). We need 2 WRs IMO and I'm not talking about grabbing 5th Round WRs. I'm talking using valuable picks or spending money or doing a big trade to get these guys. Our QBs future rely on this. We groom him into a franchise QB with talent then we can sacrifice talent wise.

I think a big thing with the WR’s we’re going to target in FA/Draft is the ability to play in and out of the slot. Hollywood Brown and AJ Brown both fit that bill pretty well. Would obviously only consider them if we move down or try and move up into the Early/Mid 2nd round

The thing is we're really not in a good spot to take a WR in round 1, we don't have our early 2nd, and there's really nothing out there in free agency either. So what do we do? Trade back in the draft is the logical idea but it's far from a guarantee that we can actually find a trade partner on draft day. I would love to know if AJ Green might be made available because he won't cost as much as AB, but I think the trade market is gonna be Mac's route this year. He's done it before and now he's on the hot seat, so I expect him to get aggressive.

57 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

The thing is we're really not in a good spot to take a WR in round 1, we don't have our early 2nd, and there's really nothing out there in free agency either. So what do we do? Trade back in the draft is the logical idea but it's far from a guarantee that we can actually find a trade partner on draft day. I would love to know if AJ Green might be made available because he won't cost as much as AB, but I think the trade market is gonna be Mac's route this year. He's done it before and now he's on the hot seat, so I expect him to get aggressive.

I agree with you... but if we don’t address WR in FA or trade then it’s a HUGE need for us. I feel a WR or 2 might impress enough to take top 10 maybe top 5. We will see Harry if he runs a fast 40, should be in the mix for a top draft pick.

1 hour ago, jetjuice said:

We have an early 3rd which I think is really good position for a dropping receiver in the draft.