2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

Defense has a few holes currently. 

EDGE x2

Cornerback x2

SAM? If we go 4-3

DT(unless Shep takes a step...a huge one)

Safety Depth- Maye is the Q of the defense. Need him to be healthy. 

Now some of these can be plugged from within. And I think you can find quality 4-3 Sam LBs in Free Agency and in the middle of the draft.

Offense has huge amounts of holes 

OL- All 5 spots really 

WR Depth- I never been big on having a true #1 as much I want multiple options to move around. It’s one of the few positions I feel like where it’s easy to build depth. 

RB- Need a dynamic guy who can make things happen in the run game and passing game. We have good depth with Crowell, Powell, McGuire and Cannon but I’d sacrifice two of them to bring in a more dynamic runner. Teams have consistently found these guys in the 2-4 rounds of the draft, especially recently.

20 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I trust him to identify the types of players. 

Macc isn’t going to just disregard the kind of player Gase wants. Like Johnson said it’s a collaborative effort. 

But the GM has the say so. Gase can love a guy but Macc doesn’t. At the end of the day Macc makes the draft pick. Regardless we need more than just some hopeful mid rounders on offense.

24 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

But the GM has the say so. Gase can love a guy but Macc doesn’t. At the end of the day Macc makes the draft pick. Regardless we need more than just some hopeful mid rounders on offense.

That is damn correct. However Maccagnan has been no luck with drafting WRs so I kind of hope he opens his ears to Gase's music.  That means Gase must have 30-35 receivers under the scouting review. That way Gase has plan ready for whoever is aboard.  After that, it will be entirely up to Darnold to identify his go to guy players.

Rushing up and drafting WR in 1st just because media, fans, scouts or analysts think he is it won't work. If Darnold can't connect with 1st round WR then it is a thousand percent waste of 1st round pick. That could explain why Jets keep drafting Defensive prospects. umm.

Edited by JetsandI

I won't rule Devin White out for Jets' top pick.  If Gregg Williams is Jets' DC then there will be a very good chance that he will remove Avery Williamson from the field for extra DB. While OLB tandem remains unclear at the moment White could offer more range in coverage than Williamson and be in charge of defensive communication. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Gase- I need a shifty, RAC wideout who can make plays from the outside and slot. 

Macc- Here’s a 6’5 4.7 speed red zone threat. 

Lol that’s not happening man. Coaches make picks all the time. Macc just puts his name on it. He let Morton pick Stewart according to reports. 

3 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Gase- I need a shifty, RAC wideout who can make plays from the outside and slot. 

Lol that’s not happening man. Coaches make picks all the time. Macc just puts his name on it. He let Morton pick Stewart according to reports. 

Somewhere in Texas, Bobby is crying uncontrollably.

• Like 1

A GM in Macc's situation will likely agree to a lot of decisions that Gase wants to go with to allow him to build his team fast, but Macc can and will say no if he doesn't agree. Rex Ryan spoke about how he wanted Odell and Tyrod Taylor, but our GM didn't make the moves. 

For the 34, I just want to see a #2 CB, Run stuffing NT, and an OLB. Looking at this FA/Draft class, OLB shouldn't be hard. Just finding the NT and #2 CB might be the challenge. 

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

Somewhere in Texas, Bobby is crying uncontrollably.

I never said a HC or an OC don’t have a say so in the draft. But like I said it’s the GM who makes the decision. Macc wouldn’t have drafted Stewart if he didn’t like him as well. His job is on the line. Yes it’s great when they all agree on a player and want them. But to think that happens with every pick is kidding yourself. My point is we need skill and we push off getting offensive skill every single year and field crap on offense. It needs to be addressed within quality picks, not mid late rounders bc clearly that hasn’t worked.

1 hour ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I could see Gase really liking AJ Brown in this case.

11 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Macc has heavily relied on the coaches when it comes to identifying what they look for/prioritize in prospects.

Gase will be significantly involved

Whatever we’ve been doing isn’t working so it’s time for a change. Whatever that is. 

14 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Whatever we’ve been doing isn’t working so it’s time for a change. Whatever that is. 

Correct. The hope is that Gase and his staff will be better at defining what qualities and skill set they prioritize for specific roles on the team. Macc's methodology has been to allow coaches to have a seat at the table, and considering that one of Gase's positive qualities is his eye for talent, I don't see that changing