2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

Here is the point to make on the RB debate: if that player is the best player available, you take him. Sure thing is better than a maybe. 

While I tend to agree that drafting a RB in round 1 is a mistake, I think Jacobs is the exception. He is Alvin Kamara 2.0. Sure, someone will respond by saying "Kamara was drafted in the 3rd round"... if anyone knew what kind of impact he would have on offense, he would've been drafted top 5; teams simply didn't know how they would use him, and Sean Payton did- he's now provided a blueprint to the league, hence why Jacobs will go high this year. If you've ever watched Kamara play, it's not fair to just label him a RB. He's an offensive weapon and the lifeblood of the Saints offense. Jacobs can be that if used correctly. 

Sean Payton has been ahead of the curve on pass catching RB's for a while. He went with Reggie Bush for similar reasons back in 2006. And while Reggie Bush didn't work out as well as Kamara, it was a similar idea. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SDotNova said:

Sean Payton has been ahead of the curve on pass catching RB's for a while. He went with Reggie Bush for similar reasons back in 2006. And while Reggie Bush didn't work out as well as Kamara, it was a similar idea. 

We have an offensive mind HC/OC now, so using players should get better. Look how Gase made Drake when healthy look good. Given him a great talent, he can make thema  pro bowl player. Not at all saying Gase and Patyon are alike. But this is a differnet situation now for us at HC and OC.

3 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Chuma Edoga in 4th round?  Yeah I wish.  His hand activity looked fine to me. 

Rock Ya-Sin- I didn't like to learn that he could end up in 1st but in 2nd or 3rd round isn't out of question.  Natural ball skill? My foot. He always looked at receivers all the way in man coverage. If he turned his head around he would wind up having 2 ints easily.

Khalen Saunders- he is too heavy for Gregg Williams' scheme but oh boy he is fast. Not just quick. Real Fast.  Big, powerful and quick. Hard to ignore him really.

Garrett Bradbury- he looked like he could handle Zero technique DT just fine. With NFL conditioning, he will be much better in strength to go with above average ZBS. I like him.

The rest of prospects look much like I thought they would be.

Garrett Bradbury would be a good option for us with one of those 3 round picks or the 4th round pick. Not sure exactly where he is projected to go, but I wouldnt mind using our second 3rd on him. 

21 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

If Allen goes #1, who do you think the 49ers go with? I find it hard to see the 49ers going Q Williams over Bosa. Which would leave the Jets with a board Q Williams, J Williams, Ferrell and Gary. Tough decision if we stay put. 

Bosa would be the pick no doubt, they already have a bunch of LE/3-Tech hybrids in Buckner, Thomas, and Armstead. For us I think it would Quinenn, BPA by far.

• Like 1

Just my take on the RB situation, personally I wouldn’t touch RB Round 1 at all, believe the impact they have compared to the longevity of the position isn’t worth it at the end of the day. Now saying all this I believe Macc would definitely consider Jacobs, don’t know much about him currently as I haven’t really payed much attention to RB’s this year but I’ll take everyone’s word on him for now. If I remember correctly Gurley was under consideration in 2015, this past year I’m sure Barkley would have been up there if our QB position was more established and we tried to move up for Derrius Guice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

Garrett Bradbury would be a good option for us with one of those 3 round picks or the 4th round pick. Not sure exactly where he is projected to go, but I wouldnt mind using our second 3rd on him. 

There are too many prospects I would like to take for 3rd round picks.  I feel like Bradbury could end up in 2nd. Who knows.

1 hour ago, Dr.O said:

Just my take on the RB situation, personally I wouldn’t touch RB Round 1 at all, believe the impact they have compared to the longevity of the position isn’t worth it at the end of the day. Now saying all this I believe Macc would definitely consider Jacobs, don’t know much about him currently as I haven’t really payed much attention to RB’s this year but I’ll take everyone’s word on him for now. If I remember correctly Gurley was under consideration in 2015, this past year I’m sure Barkley would have been up there if our QB position was more established and we tried to move up for Derrius Guice.

On paper, Maccagnan considers every hot prospects/players but in his heart I don't hold my breath. Not even with his butt being warmed up.

2 hours ago, Dr.O said:

Bosa would be the pick no doubt, they already have a bunch of LE/3-Tech hybrids in Buckner, Thomas, and Armstead. For us I think it would Quinenn, BPA by far.

Ya if Allen goes number 1 then the guy who has to deliver the card for the 49ers runs the card up so fast he pulls a hammy.  

Also on the early RB thing...... Man i thought I was high on Jacobs... him in the early first is getting crazy.  I think he is a nice back, but how many bama backs make huge impacts?  Not a ton.  This is a deep RB class and there are plenty of good players.  Also the other RB's who went really early had amazing track records in college.  Jacobs ran for 640 yards..... and he goes in the top 10?  Nuts.

4 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Ya if Allen goes number 1 then the guy who has to deliver the card for the 49ers runs the card up so fast he pulls a hammy.  

Also on the early RB thing...... Man i thought I was high on Jacobs... him in the early first is getting crazy.  I think he is a nice back, but how many bama backs make huge impacts?  Not a ton.  This is a deep RB class and there are plenty of good players.  Also the other RB's who went really early had amazing track records in college.  Jacobs ran for 640 yards..... and he goes in the top 10?  Nuts.

He’s the most well rounded RB of all Bama RBs though. Can run tough, has quickness, a great receiver and actually loves to block. He’s a rare mix of talent. 

22 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Once again... you can say that about every position. Like I stated... don’t draft a QB high bc of Brady as the best ever? It’s about our roster. We have literally nothing on offense. And we need a playmaker in the worst way. So can you get talent at RB in Round 3 or 4? Sure. A difference maker? Probably not.

That's one QB, we can name a ton of RBs drafted outside of round 1 that have had great impacts in the league.

QB, O-Line, Pass Rush, Cornerback.

Those 4 things are most important.

45 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

That's one QB, we can name a ton of RBs drafted outside of round 1 that have had great impacts in the league.

QB, O-Line, Pass Rush, Cornerback.

Those 4 things are most important.

This is just a subject I’ll have to agree to disagree on. Bc it’s not even about a 1st around RB. It’s about us needing players that can make plays on offense. And like any poistionnyou get more talent the higher you draft them. So yes I heighten RB AND WR for us now then most years... bc we need players that make plays. We can keep bulking up the defense every year (like we have for forever) but it makes zero difference when they’re on the field the whole game how good they are and have to keep the other team under 10 points to win a game bc the offense is awful. I think some just don’t want a RB bc of 10 years ago that’s asnt how to build a team. But recently it has been. And it’s pretty much worked well for the teams drafting RBs high. 

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

He’s the most well rounded RB of all Bama RBs though. Can run tough, has quickness, a great receiver and actually loves to block. He’s a rare mix of talent. 

I mean ya, you don't have to sell me on Jacobs I've liked him for a while, but most of the time I liked him he was being thought of as a mid rounder.  Then he had a couple of fairly good games against Georgia and Oklahoma and a so so game against Clemson.... then out of nowhere his name is being mentioned in early round 1 which seems like a giant leap.  I do think he is good and well rounded, but no more so than Rodney Anderson who has produced more, and is coming off an injury and might therefore come at a really good value in the 3rd round or so.  

7 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

This is just a subject I’ll have to agree to disagree on. Bc it’s not even about a 1st around RB. It’s about us needing players that can make plays on offense. And like any poistionnyou get more talent the higher you draft them. So yes I heighten RB AND WR for us now then most years... bc we need players that make plays. We can keep bulking up the defense every year (like we have for forever) but it makes zero difference when they’re on the field the whole game how good they are and have to keep the other team under 10 points to win a game bc the offense is awful. I think some just don’t want a RB bc of 10 years ago that’s asnt how to build a team. But recently it has been. And it’s pretty much worked well for the teams drafting RBs high. 

We had this debate 2 years ago. The Safety position is equivalent to the RB position in the sense that you can find good safeties deep into the draft, but Jamal Adams is not a safety... he's a defensive weapon. That's how I view Jacobs on the offensive side of the ball. Traditionally I wouldn't go for a RB in round 1, but players of his ilk are different. He's the type of player that can completely open up our offense. Le'Veon Bell would too, but I worry about his commitment to the game and whether he'll give 110% once he does sign his deal. Hence why in a perfect world I would prefer getting a guy like Jacobs after trading down. He, Crowell, and McGuire would be an excellent tandem. 

Edited by jetskid007
  • Like 1