2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

9 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Who has it worked for recently? 

The 2 teams playing in the Super Bowl for starters. Elliott is a big reason Dak is even a franchise QB (a big reason I prioritize it, Bc we NEED Darnold to be a franchise QB) . Gordon is great and has the Chargers competing every year. The Panthers would be awful if not for McCaffrey. Barkley is incredible, but awful QB play and OL hold him back (it’s nit his fault they’re not good right now). Fournette is often injured as I said he was the biggest question mark of the bunch. But he was huge in the Jags almost going to the SB last season. I’ll if I have time today run down the list if 3rd Round RBs during these drafts. To show the miss factor. It’s not like we have this guy with a great track history drafting skill players at GM remember.

7 hours ago, SDotNova said:

There’s a few good examples of teams having success going running back high. Elliot, Gordon and Gurley were all selected high and are a big part of their teams’ success. You also have dynamic guys like McCaffrey and Barkley who have done well but their teams haven’t had the same level of success as those other guys.

Only bust I can think of in recent drafts is Fournette. Even the Pats have done well with Michel. Part of the reason they are in the Super Bowl is because they can run the ball. Without Michel the Pats wouldn’t have been able to control the clock against KC.

While you can’t discount the success playoff teams have had drafting RB’s early, you can find a whole lot not more who were not 1st rounders who would have a similar impact if they were on those teams. 

Edited by barnaby8787

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

The 2 teams playing in the Super Bowl for starters. Elliott is a big reason Dak is even a franchise QB (a big reason I prioritize it, Bc we NEED Darnold to be a franchise QB) . Gordon is great and has the Chargers competing every year. The Panthers would be awful if not for McCaffrey. Barkley is incredible, but awful QB play and OL hold him back (it’s nit his fault they’re not good right now). Fournette is often injured as I said he was the biggest question mark of the bunch. But he was huge in the Jags almost going to the SB last season. I’ll if I have time today run down the list if 3rd Round RBs during these drafts. To show the miss factor. It’s not like we have this guy with a great track history drafting skill players at GM remember.

So your plan is to prop up your QB into falsely believing he is a franchise QB by hiding him behind a good OL and run game.  Dak is the epitome of a journeyman QB.  When put in a great situation he can win you games, when asked to be a franchise QB he will let you down.

Having a run game for a young QB is great but that falls on the OL more so then the RB himself.  There may be 2-3 special RB's that can run behind a bad OL where as you can put a decent RB behind a good OL and not only do you have a good running game but can also protect your young QB.  A QB who is comfortable in the pocket and can go through his reads lends way more to their development then a great RB.  The ability to go through reads leads to future development of said skill being able to do that at a much faster rate leading to becoming a true franchise QB and not one predicated on having a great run game to have a successful offense.

If you had to choose between a great RB and a great OL you take the OL every single time no question.  

We are in no position to be drafting a 1st round RB.

• Like 2

Sure.   Steelers would be awful without Le'veon Bell the former 2nd round pick.  

I get it Josh Jacobs has tools that could help Jets' offense but once OL is fixed Crowell can run for 1000k as well as McGuire can crack 700/700 for Jets.  That is plenty for RB committee.  We don't have to have all star RB aboard for those kind of numbers.

Back to Draft strategy on WR.

Do you guys think Big Q should stay in Slot or on outside for as primary duty?  Personally, I rather to find someone that can change between slot and outside with Big Q but who knows what the hell Gase is going to do with him.

Keelan Doss could be a better Jarvis Landry for Gase. Don't you think?

12 hours ago, SDotNova said:

There’s a few good examples of teams having success going running back high. Elliot, Gordon and Gurley were all selected high and are a big part of their teams’ success. You also have dynamic guys like McCaffrey and Barkley who have done well but their teams haven’t had the same level of success as those other guys.

Only bust I can think of in recent drafts is Fournette. Even the Pats have done well with Michel. Part of the reason they are in the Super Bowl is because they can run the ball. Without Michel the Pats wouldn’t have been able to control the clock against KC.

Chargers took a step forward when their defense got good again

Rams weren’t going anywhere until they built up their Line and got McVay in there with Goff. 

Giants and Panthers both missed the POs and have larger issues that could have been addressed rather than grabbing a RB

Cowboys are the one team where it made sense but even then looking back they should have picked Ramsey. 

Saints, Chiefs, Steelers, Cardinals, Seahawks, Falcons, Packers, Bengals, etc... all got impactful RBs in the mid rounds while using premium picks on premium positions. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

So your plan is to prop up your QB into falsely believing he is a franchise QB by hiding him behind a good OL and run game.  Dak is the epitome of a journeyman QB.  When put in a great situation he can win you games, when asked to be a franchise QB he will let you down.

Having a run game for a young QB is great but that falls on the OL more so then the RB himself.  There may be 2-3 special RB's that can run behind a bad OL where as you can put a decent RB behind a good OL and not only do you have a good running game but can also protect your young QB.  A QB who is comfortable in the pocket and can go through his reads lends way more to their development then a great RB.  The ability to go through reads leads to future development of said skill being able to do that at a much faster rate leading to becoming a true franchise QB and not one predicated on having a great run game to have a successful offense.

If you had to choose between a great RB and a great OL you take the OL every single time no question.  

We are in no position to be drafting a 1st round RB.

Couple things. There’s a big difference in talent between Darnold and Dak. My point of saying that was to show a good OLine and run game can only help the chances of Darnold succeeding. I 100% agree that OL is the priority. I’ve never not said that in fact. But what I don’t agree with is that you can put Darnold behind a good OL with average RBs and average WRs and expect to win or maybe even make him a franchise QB. 

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Couple things. There’s a big difference in talent between Darnold and Dak. My point of saying that was to show a good OLine and run game can only help the chances of Darnold succeeding. I 100% agree that OL is the priority. I’ve never not said that in fact. But what I don’t agree with is that you can put Darnold behind a good OL with average RBs and average WRs and expect to win or maybe even make him a franchise QB. 

Patriots had done that for many years.