2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

Tony Pauline has heard that Jawaan Taylor will be the first tackle taken in the draft, and many seem to be mimicking that sentiment. 

He’d be an interesting option if we trade down, which I fully expect to happen. I don’t see any LGs in FA that the Jets will be overly interested in, so I can see a situation unfold where the Jets sign a C, bring back Spencer Long (contingency at LG), and if they draft a guy like Taylor have an open competition and play the 5 best guys. Taylor can arguably play 4 positions on the line, but the goal would be to move him out to LT when Beachum’s run with the team ends.

Keep in mind that in 2015, Maccagnan was rumored to be interested in acquiring Andres Peat in a trade down scenario. The intention was to play him at RG/RT before moving him to LT when Brick retired, so it’s not out of the realm of possibility. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Tony Pauline has heard that Jawaan Taylor will be the first tackle taken in the draft, and many seem to be mimicking that sentiment. 

He’d be an interesting option if we trade down, which I fully expect to happen. I don’t see any LGs in FA that the Jets will be overly interested in, so I can see a situation unfold where the Jets sign a C, bring back Spencer Long (contingency at LG), and if they draft a guy like Taylor have an open competition and play the 5 best guys. Taylor can arguably play 4 positions on the line, but the goal would be to move him out to LT when Beachum’s run with the team ends.

Keep in mind that in 2015, Maccagnan was rumored to be interested in acquiring Andres Peat in a trade down scenario. The intention was to play him at RG/RT before moving him to LT when Brick retired, so it’s not out of the realm of possibility. 

I'd be pro this.

45 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Pauline had Taylor going to Bills at #9. In his mock draft, trading down beyond that isn't an option.  If the same thing going in reality, Jets would have to settle with Taylor at #3 or trading down for 2nd OT. 

I looked around last few days.  Dunno if it is a just forum bs or whether.  49ers may look at top pass rusher during the FA.  If they were successful then Quinnen Williams may be theirs at #2.

Cardinals may seek to upgrade LT during the FA.  Could be Jawaan Taylor at #1 if they failed.  Heck, they could end up with Trent Brown and Jawaan Taylor at the tandem.

Nick Bosa going to be a Jet is not out of question. See you in April.

2 hours ago, JetsandI said:

I looked around last few days.  Dunno if it is a just forum bs or whether.  49ers may look at top pass rusher during the FA.  If they were successful then Quinnen Williams may be theirs at #2.

Cardinals may seek to upgrade LT during the FA.  Could be Jawaan Taylor at #1 if they failed.  Heck, they could end up with Trent Brown and Jawaan Taylor at the tandem.

Nick Bosa going to be a Jet is not out of question. See you in April.

I thought SF taking Q at 2 was going to be your shocking take of this post.  Then you said Jawaan at #1.... and i fainted for a bit..... i am back now, but groggy.  I am not saying there is a 0% chance we get Bosa, but I'd be shocked if the cards didn't trade back or take Bosa/Q/Allen.  

22 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

I thought SF taking Q at 2 was going to be your shocking take of this post.  Then you said Jawaan at #1.... and i fainted for a bit..... i am back now, but groggy.  I am not saying there is a 0% chance we get Bosa, but I'd be shocked if the cards didn't trade back or take Bosa/Q/Allen.  

lol.   You never know.

I think there’s over a 75% chance that 1 of Allen or Bosa are there at 3. Couple reasons why. 1. A team trading up to 1 or 2 for a QB. 2. Q Williams goes 1 or 2. Both scenarios are not far fetched at all. My issue lies within us probably getting 2 edges in FA so the need for an edge will be lowered in my eyes. I wouldn’t be mad at the picks bc the talents are there for both. I’d just rather see another route. Now if we grab a good OL or 2, a WR and a RB in FA I could change my mind. For example... we sign Paradis, Saffold, Bell, Humphries... I’d be ok with defense at 3.

5 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Welp looks like we're cutting Spencer Long. Still think this scenario is possible, with us adding a stopgap LG in FA (possibly even Long himself) if we can't land a top-tier one

Edited by jetskid007

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I think there’s over a 75% chance that 1 of Allen or Bosa are there at 3. Couple reasons why. 1. A team trading up to 1 or 2 for a QB. 2. Q Williams goes 1 or 2. Both scenarios are not far fetched at all. My issue lies within us probably getting 2 edges in FA so the need for an edge will be lowered in my eyes. I wouldn’t be mad at the picks bc the talents are there for both. I’d just rather see another route. Now if we grab a good OL or 2, a WR and a RB in FA I could change my mind. For example... we sign Paradis, Saffold, Bell, Humphries... I’d be ok with defense at 3.

You can never have enough pass rushers, Philly and the Ravens for instance continually drafts edges early and often even if it’s not a need because they understand that it’s extremely hard for Teams to find talent like them at that spot.

I think the Jets will have to make a very hard decision in the draft. You are going to have Bosa there at 3 and other teams trying to trade up for a QB. I'm hoping they trade down 1 or 2 spots and still get Bosa. Remember price of draft picks always go up as the day gets closer. The longer we wait to trade the better picks we get. There is a lot of new coaches this year that want to draft THEIR QB. 

Is no one a fan of Clelin Ferrell at #3?  I know people have mentioned us trading down and grabbing him, but I like him a lot and think he fits great into the 4-3 scheme.  I know Q. Williams is the better prospect, but I don't think Ferrell is any slouch.  And I think a DE helps us a lot more than a DT would.  

19 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I'm almost certain we will be trading down regardless who is on the board at 3. MAYBE we would stay if Bosa was there, but even then, I think there's a slight edge towards us trading down. Given the parity and depth of this class, the Jets will agree to take less for the 3rd pick than one would traditionally expect. 

Ever since Maccagnan got here, he's tried accomplishing two things: (1) acquire a QB; and (2) trade down to acquire more draft picks. He met his first objective last year, and like I said, he'll meet his second this year while possibly acquiring another 1st round pick for next years draft.

Once they reshuffle the board (my guess is they'll be drafting 10th or 15th), they can still enter day 1 seeking to draft the best player available. That could be an EDGE, DL, LB, CB, OL, RB, or WR. Then, we'll enter day 2 with additional draft capital that will be used for short-and-long term needs - which is how this front office has always operated - and day 3 to draft developmental players. 

50 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I'm almost certain we will be trading down regardless who is on the board at 3. MAYBE we would stay if Bosa was there, but even then, I think there's a slight edge towards us trading down. Given the parity and depth of this class, the Jets will agree to take less for the 3rd pick than one would traditionally expect. 

Ever since Maccagnan got here, he's tried accomplishing two things: (1) acquire a QB; and (2) trade down to acquire more draft picks. He met his first objective last year, and like I said, he'll meet his second this year while possibly acquiring another 1st round pick for next years draft.

Once they reshuffle the board (my guess is they'll be drafting 10th or 15th), they can still enter day 1 seeking to draft the best player available. That could be an EDGE, DL, LB, CB, OL, RB, or WR. Then, we'll enter day 2 with additional draft capital that will be used for short-and-long term needs - which is how this front office has always operated - and day 3 to draft developmental players. 

I agree that we want to trade down. Only thing that I can see getting in the way of that is... we miss on a bunch of guys in Free Agency and Macc knows his job is bog time at stake. Thereof adding draft picks in future years and getting a less talent by moving back might not be enough to keep his job.

2 hours ago, Fort4242 said:

Is no one a fan of Clelin Ferrell at #3?  I know people have mentioned us trading down and grabbing him, but I like him a lot and think he fits great into the 4-3 scheme.  I know Q. Williams is the better prospect, but I don't think Ferrell is any slouch.  And I think a DE helps us a lot more than a DT would.  

For what it’s worth, Tony Pauline’s mock has us taking him and thinks he is a better fit for Williams than Allen. When it comes to edge rushers, i still use the “Waldo” low risk formula from the old site for twitch and explosiveness.  If we’re looking for a pass rusher and drafting 3rd, the player should be low risk, imo. 

http://www.draftanalyst.com/two-round-mock-draft-february-4

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=439601