2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

11 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I’m in the minority. But I’d be all for Metcalf at 3. Trade back value wise is obviously the best.

I think he’ll be in the convo post-combine. He apparently runs in the mid 4.4’s. If he does that at his size, teams are going to gush over him. How does a 190 lb corner take a guy like that down?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

I think he’ll be in the convo post-combine. He apparently runs in the mid 4.4’s. If he does that at his size, teams are going to gush over him. How does a 190 lb corner take a guy like that down?

Julio Jones 2.0

The way he catches the ball... his hands have to be huge. Makes it look so easy. Gotta love when 50/50 balls are really 80/20 balls in your favor when he's the target.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

His production in school is his biggest knock and you could attribute that to his history of injuries which is also worrisome. 

Corey Davis (MAC div)  was the last top 5 WR and he had 3 double digit TD years in just as many years. Similar size but Metcalf (SEC) certainly has some extra beef to him. 

The WR class as a whole is really interesting.  The projections seem to be all over the place.  I don't think i've seen one WR who has not been projected in the 1st by some mocks and in the 2nd by others.  Walter Football literally has AJ as the only receiver in the 1st and I've seen others mock him in the 2nd, which is insane to me.  I like the upside of guys like Metcalf and Butler better, but to me, AJ's floor is a good #2.

I like Metcalf too but he looks like he’s on the gear right now and that’s also concerning. I also question how athletic he is going to play at that size as a WR. Does he want to be a TE? Or a DE? I do think he’s going to be the talk of the combine if he comes in that size and is a complete animal. That’s a dog Jamal is talking about. Him and Q would be the biggest fastest strongest WR combo in the game and then you have Robby, whose built like a high school girl.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

The WR class as a whole is really interesting.  The projections seem to be all over the place.  I don't think i've seen one WR who has not been projected in the 1st by some mocks and in the 2nd by others.  Walter Football literally has AJ as the only receiver in the 1st and I've seen others mock him in the 2nd, which is insane to me.  I like the upside of guys like Metcalf and Butler better, but to me, AJ's floor is a good #2.

Agreed. For me its still Metcalf and Harry as the 2 best WRs. But with several interesting option after that. Like you stated Butler, Harmon, Hollywood, Brown, Ridley, Campbell. Samuel are all guys I'd love in the 2nd and 3rd as well.

17 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Agreed. For me its still Metcalf and Harry as the 2 best WRs. But with several interesting option after that. Like you stated Butler, Harmon, Hollywood, Brown, Ridley, Campbell. Samuel are all guys I'd love in the 2nd and 3rd as well.

I like N'keal, I just question his ability to separate at the next level.  I think the combine's extremely important for him personally.  I'm not saying that a 40 is ever a good barometer, but I'd be curious to see how well he runs. 

• Like 2

I think 40 times are overrated.  I would much rather have a guy that is fast in and out of his cuts.  The short shuttle and agility tests are really what need to be looked at.  How many times a season is a guy going to be able to get a straight get off without being redirected at some point.  

You look at guys like Jerry Rice, Wes Welker even Wayne Chrebet.  Speed was not their game.  It was the ability to run routes, sell routes, set up routes.  This is what made them dangerous.  Robby Anderson has a ton of speed yet he can disappear in games because he has issues creating separation.  Why you ask because he is a lackadaisical route runner.  

Just curious if I am in the minority here.  Thoughts?

4 minutes ago, NYJETS52 said:

I think 40 times are overrated.  I would much rather have a guy that is fast in and out of his cuts.  The short shuttle and agility tests are really what need to be looked at.  How many times a season is a guy going to be able to get a straight get off without being redirected at some point.  

You look at guys like Jerry Rice, Wes Welker even Wayne Chrebet.  Speed was not their game.  It was the ability to run routes, sell routes, set up routes.  This is what made them dangerous.  Robby Anderson has a ton of speed yet he can disappear in games because he has issues creating separation.  Why you ask because he is a lackadaisical route runner.  

Just curious if I am in the minority here.  Thoughts?

I question his ability to separate downfield.  Not saying that agility test, shuttles, etc. aren't important, but it's easy to get position on guys at his size.  I question is he can become a vertical threat or not.  If he can't, there's better route runners in this class.

17 hours ago, jetjuice said:

Reach at 3? I can't see a scenario where we come out of this offseason with a better WR than Metcalf. At what point does reaching for need outweigh BPA when you consider how priority #1 needs to be giving Darnold weapons?

Yes massive reach at 3 over talent like Bosa/Allen.  You want to daft him in the 7-12 range that is more reasonable for our needs.  I just don't WR that high for us especially at 3 but in a trade down yeah I might pull the trigger.  Closest thing to Megatron to come out in a long time.  Have to see his combine numbers stack up but if he runs well and times well in the agility drills I'd be all for him in a trade down with say DEN or something.

Edited by Rockice_8

Just now, Rockice_8 said:

Yes massive reach at 3 over talent like Bosa/Allen.  You want to reach in the 7-12 range that is more reasonable for our needs.  I just don't WR that high for us especially at 3 but in a trade down yeah I might pull the trigger.  Closest thing to Megatron to come out in a long time.  Have to see his combine numbers stack up but if he runs well and times well in the agility drills I'd be all for him in a trade down with say DEN or something.

So we pass on our best opportunity to get Darnold a go-to guy for the next decade just for the sake of not reaching?

• Like 1

Just now, jetjuice said:

So we pass on our best opportunity to get Darnold a go-to guy for the next decade just for the sake of not reaching?

No we pass on the chance to get a freak pass rusher.  Darnold doesn't need a go to guy.  He just needs multiple high level weapons.  Having one go to guy isn't the way I prefer to build an offense.  Plus not all go to guys have to be taken top 3.