2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

5 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Marquise Brown is out for Combine and Pro Day because of foot surgery. Ouch!  Hopefully, he is there for measurements because I am curious about his body size.

This might all be a ploy so that he can weigh in with a cast on, would bring up his weight by like 15%

11 hours ago, rampantjet said:

This might all be a ploy so that he can weigh in with a cast on, would bring up his weight by like 15%

The guy is little. Which in todays NFL isn't that big of a deal. But it will hurt his stock. Bc how he was going to get drafted in Round 1 maybe was his speed and quickness... and now he cant show that to NFL teams. They have to rely on tape. And most teams don't want to risk a 1st rounder based on tape and not seeing it in person pre draft. If we can add a 2nd with a trade down, I like him, if we don't add Humphries. I don't think adding Humphries AND him makes much sense.

30 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The guy is little. Which in todays NFL isn't that big of a deal. But it will hurt his stock. Bc how he was going to get drafted in Round 1 maybe was his speed and quickness... and now he cant show that to NFL teams. They have to rely on tape. And most teams don't want to risk a 1st rounder based on tape and not seeing it in person pre draft. If we can add a 2nd with a trade down, I like him, if we don't add Humphries. I don't think adding Humphries AND him makes much sense.

I think they are pretty different players.  Hollywood can get open on the short stuff as he does have really good short area quickness, but his top end speed is what people look at.  Humphries doesn't really have that, he is really only a slot guy that can own the middle of the field.  I have a hard time imagining Hollywood being a star though.  He would die coming out of the slot and working the middle of the field in the NFL, and i see him having a really really hard time getting off of press when playing the outside.

45 minutes ago, mattmanz91 said:

I'd like to take a flier on Hunter Renfrow if he's there in the 5th round or later. Good route runner, reminds of Edelman a little bit.

The guy I love is Andy Isabella. He's not just a slot receiver, he can play outside and beat you deep, and he's a fantastic YAC receiver. I could see Gase loving this kid, I view him as a superior prospect to Marquise Brown and wouldn't be surprised if he went in R1.

• 3 weeks later...

The Jets made it fairly clear how they planned on utilizing Anthony Barr and his unique skill-set; he was going to be a movable chess piece, but his primary position label was going to be "pass rusher". 

Now that the position is re-vacated, I would expect many in the organization to push for Josh Allen.

Allen and Barr have fairly similar athletic profiles in terms of size/traits/ability. They're guys who played in a 3-4 defense, had remarkable sack numbers their final years, and primarily were stand-up guys who were capable of putting their hand in the dirt. If they had a specific role in mind for Barr, you would expect that no one would be better to fill it than Allen. There's no one available in free agency, and the draft has a number of talented players but none that are true pass rusher/linebacker hybrids that you'd build around other than Allen. 

It's still quite possible that the Jets would opt for the BPA (Williams) and I think it's important to point out that Macc has never drafted a senior in round 1, but he's been trying everything in attempts to find an edge rusher (tried trading for Mack, Fowler, and most recently tried signing Barr) so I can see him changing his perspective this time around... also, if the coaching staff was all in on Barr as a pass rusher you better believe they will be on Allen in the draft. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

How are we going to draft 2 edges, a C, WR and RB all with the 3rd pick?

Rome wasn't built in one day. We're going to have perceived "needs" even after the draft is over; happens every year. That said, chances increased significantly that we will take an EDGE at #3 today, with a C sometime in day 2-3. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Rome wasn't built in one day. We're going to have perceived "needs" even after the draft is over; happens every year. That said, chances increased significantly that we will take an EDGE at #3 today, with a C sometime in day 2-3. 

We’re not exactly Rome and it has taken half a decade thus far to still be at Step 2, man

In all seriousness, we have just as many needs today then we did on January 1st with top talent off the board

2 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

We’re not exactly Rome and it has taken half a decade thus far to still be at Step 2, man

In all seriousness, we have just as many needs today then we did on January 1st with top talent off the board

Point being you will not find any single team in the NFL who addresses every single need every year via FA and draft. We live in a reactionary society where everyone expects something to be "fulfilled" immediately. Just as much as signing a marquee free agent can go bust, a star can be found in the middle rounds (Chris Herndon). Hell Jets fans were freaking out because we let ASJ walk... imagine if we didn't and passed on Herndon instead?

Gotta be patient. Yes it sucks that free agents are passing us up. Yes we have a long way to go. But we are *likely* signing CJ Mosley, who was considered one of the best free agents available, we added a very solid slot receiver, free agency isn't over, and we have the #3 pick in a draft that has some of the best DL/EDGE talent in the past decade-plus. The sky isn't falling. Everything is fine. 

1 minute ago, jetskid007 said:

Point being you will not find any single team in the NFL who addresses every single need every year via FA and draft. We live in a reactionary society where everyone expects something to be "fulfilled" immediately. Just as much as signing a marquee free agent can go bust, a star can be found in the middle rounds (Chris Herndon). Hell Jets fans were freaking out because we let ASJ walk... imagine if we didn't and passed on Herndon instead?

Gotta be patient. Yes it sucks that free agents are passing us up. Yes we have a long way to go. But we are *likely* signing CJ Mosley, who was considered one of the best free agents available, we added a very solid slot receiver, free agency isn't over, and we have the #3 pick in a draft that has some of the best DL/EDGE talent in the past decade-plus. The sky isn't falling. Everything is fine. 

But that’s what I’m saying.

We have “every single need” and are in year 5+. 

When we’re still on the bus for this long, how can we not ask for immediacy? This Macc’s second, maybe third life. 

Finding steals in the middle rounds is great and something we should expect if we had any semblance of ever doing that under this regime.

🤷‍♂️

24 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I think you’re missing our piint. We say this every year. Rome wasn’t built over night but it’s been years. This isn’t year 1 or 2 or 3 or 4. You yourself always have said that you can’t grade drafts right away and FAs are meant to fill holes. It’s now almost 5 FA periods and 4 drafts and we don’t have much to call “Rome”

We have Olive Garden in West Virginia as our Rome after years of “building”

• Like 1