2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

1 minute ago, jetskid007 said:

He has 7 sacks but has kind of fell into them. I think they need a starter and a rotational rusher. 

He's 24. Feels weird to hype up these other players to start over him when most of them aren't putting up his numbers and are older than he is. His stats are close to the players we are talking about starting over him. I don't hate the idea of double dipping, but if we're going to put someone over him, we need to have a Josh Allen/Clowney type of combo. 

4 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

He's 24. Feels weird to hype up these other players to start over him when most of them aren't putting up his numbers and are older than he is. His stats are close to the players we are talking about starting over him. I don't hate the idea of double dipping, but if we're going to put someone over him, we need to have a Josh Allen/Clowney type of combo. 

I totally agree, but what I'm saying is we have deployed a rotation of he, Copeland, and Luvu this year. Total snaps: 

• Jenkins: 632 (321 pass rush) 
  • Copeland: 572 (341 pass rush) 
  • Luvu: 413 (238 pass rush) 

We should be using Jenkins more in a Whitney Mercilus role. Problem is we need to find our versions of Watt and Clowney. 

Just now, jetskid007 said:

I totally agree, but what I'm saying is we have deployed a rotation of he, Copeland, and Luvu this year. Total snaps: 

• Jenkins: 632 (321 pass rush) 
  • Copeland: 572 (341 pass rush) 
  • Luvu: 413 (238 pass rush) 

We should be using Jenkins more in a Whitney Mercilus role. Problem is we need to find our versions of Watt and Clowney. 

Got ya. With this Dline talent, we may not have to double dip at OLB. We can pull a threat on the line that can potentially be our Watt, and a OLB, and still keep Jenkins in his starting role. If we can find a tough NT or another DE, that's just going to free up Anderson, jenkins, and others. It's not sexy, but we have to stop the run and Lawrence falling in the draft could create a perfect situation for us later in the draft. 

5 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Got ya. With this Dline talent, we may not have to double dip at OLB. We can pull a threat on the line that can potentially be our Watt, and a OLB, and still keep Jenkins in his starting role. If we can find a tough NT or another DE, that's just going to free up Anderson, jenkins, and others. It's not sexy, but we have to stop the run and Lawrence falling in the draft could create a perfect situation for us later in the draft. 

I think what people fail to understand is that Watt is an EDGE rusher in a DL body. He plays "3-4 DE" on a handful of snaps per game. It's one of the reasons why I think drafting Rashan Gary wouldn't be a bad idea. 

Let Gary play primarily along the edges, but they can mix things up as they choose with guys like Leo and Anderson (if resigned). Then have add a "true" OLB/EDGE somewhere (Preston Smith? Za'Darius Smith? Fowler?) and Jenkins. Your primary pass rushing DL would look something like Leo, Anderson (again if resigned), the EDGE, and Gary. 

26 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Really hoping we can address edge in FA.  If so, there should be a ton of trade suitors.  If we stay at 3 or move up to 2, we can likely trade down between the 8-12 range and pick up a 2nd and a future first, if not more.

This years draft class is loaded with pass rush talent and thin at offense. You can trade down and get a good pass rusher, which is rare. 

Primary objective should be to improve the offense via FA/trades, sign an edge rusher, draft and edge rusher, and fill out the roster with the rest of our picks. 

The one hole that will be tough to fill is CB, but if they bolster the front 7 the way they should be able to, it will be moot point.

7 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

This years draft class is loaded with pass rush talent and thin at offense. You can trade down and get a good pass rusher, which is rare. 

Primary objective should be to improve the offense via FA/trades, sign an edge rusher, draft and edge rusher, and fill out the roster with the rest of our picks. 

The one hole that will be tough to fill is CB, but if they bolster the front 7 the way they should be able to, it will be moot point.

Personally, I'd love to sign an edge, trade down in the 1st, draft a WR, target o-line in the 2nd, and maybe add a guy like Winovich in the 3rd.

22 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

I honestly think Beachum is the right LT for us at least through the immediate future. He’s a good pass protector with good enough athleticism to keep his blindside clean.

I think the Jets more important decision will be whether to keep Long at LG and sign a C, or replace both positions. If a really good lineman is available in the draft then you take him and figure it out, but otherwise should be aiming to build the offensive line the way the Rams have- by adding ready made veterans to play a specific role

I like Beachum and I'd be all for keeping him, Long at LG and drafting a good C. I'm too lazy but I'd love to see how OLs rank with good C vs bad ones.

5 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I like Beachum and I'd be all for keeping him, Long at LG and drafting a good C. I'm too lazy but I'd love to see how OLs rank with good C vs bad ones.

I can tell you based on PFF grading... 

• Steelers OL #1, Pouncy #7 
  • Browns OL #2, Tretter #6
  • Patriots OL #3, Andrews, #5 
  • Saints OL #4, Unger #15 
  • Eagles OL #5, Kelce #1 
  • Colts OL #6, Kelly #9
  • Rams OL #7, Sullivan #29
  • Packers OL #8, Linsley #4
  • Bears OL #9, Whitehair #10
  • Falcons OL #10, Mack #3

With exception to the Saints and Rams, most top 10 OLs have top 10 Cs according to their grading. 

The Saints and Rams make up for it with elite tackle play (Armstead/Ramczyk, Whitworth/Havenstein 4 of the top 6 Ts in PFF grading). 

9 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I can tell you based on PFF grading... 

• Steelers OL #1, Pouncy #7 
  • Browns OL #2, Tretter #6
  • Patriots OL #3, Andrews, #5 
  • Saints OL #4, Unger #15 
  • Eagles OL #5, Kelce #1 
  • Colts OL #6, Kelly #9
  • Rams OL #7, Sullivan #29
  • Packers OL #8, Linsley #4
  • Bears OL #9, Whitehair #10
  • Falcons OL #10, Mack #3

With exception to the Saints and Rams, most top 10 OLs have top 10 Cs according to their grading. 

The Saints and Rams make up for it with elite tackle play (Armstead/Ramczyk, Whitworth/Havenstein 4 of the top 6 Ts in PFF grading). 

I don't remember what other moves the Colts have made but I suspect Kelly has played a big role in turning around the OL.

Easier said then done, but if I'm rebuilding the OL by signing potentially 2 or 3 of these players: Donovan Smith, Trent Brown, Ja'Wuan James, Rodger Saffold, Matt Paradis. Furthermore, I wouldn't even consider cutting Beachum, Long, or Winters until deep into TC; the Jets have enough money where saving a few unguaranteed dollars won't really impact their operations during the offseason, and it would allow everyone to battle it out and piece the line together. Sure, your FA signings are guaranteed starting spots, but you can let Beachum/Winters/Long/Shell battle it out and earn their spots. A lot of the guys mentioned in here have tremendous position flexibility and can fit in a variety of different spots along the line. 

This also wouldn't preclude us from drafting an OL. All about constructing the best possible line to keep Darnold clean and allow our RB combo to flourish. 

Archived