2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

1 hour ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Would you guys rather have Darnold or Allen/Rosen/Jackson plus our 3 second round picks?

I would go Darnold ever time. Allen and Rosen are not franchise QB and I never liked them as franchise QB. We got the best QB in the draft by far. Did you notice I did not even say Jackson because he is not a QB in the NFL. I laugh when people say this. I think I can throw a football batter than him. Jackson should have been a 6 or 7 round pick. This trade for Darnold is the trade we needed to do and I think we got out cheap because we have pick 3 this year instead of the colts. Remember after this draft we are back to square 1. We can also trade down this year and pick up better picks i.e first round picks. I'm not a fan of second round picks because most of the talent is gone and you depend on coaching people up or they have off field issues which the jets never do well with. 

3 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Would you guys rather have Darnold or Allen/Rosen/Jackson plus our 3 second round picks?

Darnold. His play when he returned from injury is not talked about enough- despite having the leagues worst supporting cast, he was one of the best QBs... not to mention, he is 21 years old. 

Its not the popular opinion and I’m sure it comes off as bias, but I still take Darnold over any QB drafted in the past 5 years. I’ve always used this distinction that you have “system” QBs and “thoroughbred” QBs- there’s nothing wrong with a system QB (players like Goff, Brady fall into this category) and by all means it’s not the least bit a slight against them, but I prefer the thoroughbred- the guy who is gonna go out and ball regardless of scheme, coaching, or personnel. Doesn’t make them better than the system guys, but I  feel they are capable of performing with less. That’s how I feel about Darnold. 

I think Darnold’s career arc will be similar to Philip Rivers’, we just need to hope the Jets do more to help him bring the city a few titles. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Darnold. His play when he returned from injury is not talked about enough- despite having the leagues worst supporting cast, he was one of the best QBs... not to mention, he is 21 years old. 

Its not the popular opinion and I’m sure it comes off as bias, but I still take Darnold over any QB drafted in the past 5 years. I’ve always used this distinction that you have “system” QBs and “thoroughbred” QBs- there’s nothing wrong with a system QB (players like Goff, Brady fall into this category) and by all means it’s not the least bit a slight against them, but I prefer the thoroughbred- the guy who is gonna go out and ball regardless of scheme, coaching, or personnel. Doesn’t make them better than the system guys, but I  feel they are capable of performing with less. That’s how I feel about Darnold. 

I think Darnold’s career arc will be similar to Philip Rivers’, we just need to hope the Jets do more to help him bring the city a few titles. 

Yup. Most people are ignoring the fact that he was a top graded QB during the games after he returned from injury. And like you said, he was playing with a poor supporting cast while going up against some pretty solid defenses. Crowell was hurt and Enunwa was hurt. This sort of gets lost in the shuffle because of how poorly he played during the middle stretch of the season. A lot of this poor play was forced by him trying to make something out of nothing. We did him no favors. 

I would not trade Darnold for Allen, Rosen or Jackson and 3 second round picks. Definitely not Rosen and Jackson. Allen is going to be a player in mind though. His ability to run the ball is going to be extremely helpful. Plus Allen is big enough to be able to take those hits unlike Jackson. But at the end of the day, I am taking Darnold.

We didn't have the chance to draft Baker. But Baker vs. Darnold is going to be more interesting over the next two years. I think both will be top 10 QB's. Baker likely by next year and Darnold likely by 2020. It's going to be interesting to see whose peak is better. But I think both are top 10 QB bound in the next year or two. 

These guys are all a couple of years from truly being able to evaluate though. But I'm pretty exciting that Darnold is on our team even if it cost us 3 second round picks. 

Edited by SDotNova

I always viewed Darnold as the best QB in the draft. Until we traded up I never thought he was realistic. Even after trading up I was surprised he was there at 3. Like @jetskid007pointed out... his age rather than year in the NFL is what we should be pointing out. Quite frankly he shouldn’t even be in the same sentence when comparing him to Mayfield bc of their age gap. You can tell Darnold will be good. It’s for this FO to make him succeed. Protect him and give him weapons. Getting him wasbthe hard part, the rest shouldn’t be. This offensive staff should only help Darnold. It would be incredible to see Gase be to Darnold what McVay has been to Goff. @jetskid007pointed out that he thinks Darnold has more natural talent then guys in the last 5 years (which I don’t know if I agree with, but is certainly not untrue). Best thing we can hope is that Gase simplified the game for Darnold. Allowing him to develop more. Making him a franchise QB should be this teams main focus for the next 2-3 seasons.

• Like 1

BB as of now

1A. Nick Bosa

1B. Josh Allen

trade Down

3. Clelin Ferrell

4A. Jawaan Taylor

4B. Andre Dillard

6. Greedy Williams

7. Jonah Williams

8. DeAndre Baker

9. DK Metcalf

10. N’Keal Harry

Edit- guys on the fringe for me are: Hollywood Brown, Montez Sweat, Dalton Risner, Hakeem Butler, Dexter Lawrence, Greg Little, Cody Ford

Edited by Dr.O

Tbh this years draft class is very hazy after the top 3 guys (Bosa/Allen/QWill) in terms of overall talent. The DE/Edge and OL class are really solid this year and WR has solid depth as opposed to having a top crop of guys but out side of there I feel like this year is pretty hit or miss

I would  like to know where we are going to get that third WR we need. The FA market looks real week only Golden Tate who is 31 & Adam Humphries, who is probably the best of the lot. We sure not getting any top WR in the draft, by the time we pick at 66. Darnold is going to need that go to guy.

2 hours ago, doumeyer said:

I would  like to know where we are going to get that third WR we need. The FA market looks real week only Golden Tate who is 31 & Adam Humphries, who is probably the best of the lot. We sure not getting any top WR in the draft, by the time we pick at 66. Darnold is going to need that go to guy.

I’m sure we will explore the trade market. Also with a trade back... that’s could put us in the Metcalf, Harry area. As well as adding a 2nd Rounder if we trade back opens up WR options with that pick. But you’re right... the FA WR class is rather weak. I’d like to see us make a play for Agholor. Trade a late round pick for him perhaps.

• Like 1

The more I look at this trade back scenario, the only team would be Jacksonville, who picks at seven moving up to three. Miami who picks at thirteen would have to give away the store to move up to three. If we did trade with the Jags. we could get the top WR in the draft and also get a high second round pick. We would have to go WR at seven because all the top pass rusher will be gone by seven. We might even get more than a second round pick in the deal. If we stay at three we get a pass rusher, but our next pick would not be till #68 & 94 in the third round, and I can't get excited about that.

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

The more I look at this trade back scenario, the only team would be Jacksonville, who picks at seven moving up to three. Miami who picks at thirteen would have to give away the store to move up to three. If we did trade with the Jags. we could get the top WR in the draft and also get a high second round pick. We would have to go WR at seven because all the top pass rusher will be gone by seven. We might even get more than a second round pick in the deal. If we stay at three we get a pass rusher, but our next pick would not be till #68 & 94 in the third round, and I can't get excited about that.

We 100% will get more than 1 2nd round pick if we trade back.

• Like 1

Last year Josh Allen was the player I thought the Jets would draft.   This year is beginning to be no different.  Looking at film of Josh Allen, Kentucky, shows me he has elite pass rush skills.   It is unclear what the Jets priority would be.  To draft the BPA or to trade down for more draft picks.   I think the NFL combine and free agency will play alot into the decision the Jets make..

Edited by famousj

17 hours ago, Dr.O said:

Tbh this years draft class is very hazy after the top 3 guys (Bosa/Allen/QWill) in terms of overall talent. The DE/Edge and OL class are really solid this year and WR has solid depth as opposed to having a top crop of guys but out side of there I feel like this year is pretty hit or miss

I only see two really good routes for the Jets. Go with a top DL at #3 or trade back and go ham on OLs/WRs. In both cases, you are taking advantage of the value of this draft. It's DL in top 3 and OL/WR in day 1 and 2. Outside of the top 3 guys, I'm not jumping up and down over the edge rushers though. 

11 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

My big board is.....

1. Trade Back

2. Josh Allen

3. Nick Bosa

4. Jawann Taylor

5. DK Metcalf

6. Jonah Williams

7. Josh Jacobs

8. N’Keal Harry

9. Clelin Ferrell

10. Andre Dillard

Why do I have a feeling we end up with Nick Bosa like Leonard Williams?  Someone will trade up for a QB.   Someone allows does.  Then the 49ers or another team will trade up for Josh Allen leaving the Jets with the choice of drafting Nick Bosa or trading down.  I would draft Nick Bosa and call it the day.    Nick Bosa's injury concerns may scare enough teams to let Bosa slip to the Jets.