2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

8 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

2 big boards without the best player in the draft on them is weird to see.  This fan base has been scarred by our shabby past.

See my B.B. is purely off value in relation to need, if it was just based off Vlaue Q would be 3 rd on my board but I just can’t get behind picking another interior DL when we should be allocating those resources towards Edge rusher and OL.

14 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

2 big boards without the best player in the draft on them is weird to see.  This fan base has been scarred by our shabby past.

Our need for a DT is so minimal to me that’s why I didn’t include Q Williams. We have young talent already in place there. No reason to use a top 3 pick on a DT with our roster IMO

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Our need for a DT is so minimal to me that’s why I didn’t include Q Williams. We have young talent already in place there. No reason to use a top 3 pick on a DT with our roster IMO

If we are going to be playing more 4 man fronts, then we kind of do need a DT.  Anderson is a FA, McClendon is a FA.  We have Leonard, Shepherd(who has a lot to prove still before he can be counted on), and Pennell who is a great run stuffer and not much else.  With the possible exception of Leo none of those guys have proven to be able to get pressure up the middle, and Leo has yet to be a superstar at it.  A sack is a sack but pressure up the middle bothers QB's even more imo.  I want edge as much as the next desperate Jets fan but an edge rusher is less effective if the QB can just safely step up into a clean pocket.  

Q is the best player at getting pressure up the middle, so if we sign a FA edge rusher that is the perfect marriage 

18 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I'm almost done with my next mock. Put in a lot of research today in regards to prospects. A scenario I see unfolding for us is drafting "OTs" with back-to-back picks after trading down. 

When’s it dropping dog. The streets need you.

2 hours ago, SDotNova said:

I only see two really good routes for the Jets. Go with a top DL at #3 or trade back and go ham on OLs/WRs. In both cases, you are taking advantage of the value of this draft. It's DL in top 3 and OL/WR in day 1 and 2. Outside of the top 3 guys, I'm not jumping up and down over the edge rushers though. 

I think Ferrell and maybe Gary have good shots at being pro-bowl caliber players at the next level but there not in the same stratosphere as Bosa and Allen.

5 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

I think Ferrell and maybe Gary have good shots at being pro-bowl caliber players at the next level but there not in the same stratosphere as Bosa and Allen.

I'd put Brian Burns and Polite ahead of them from a pure pass rushing perspective at the next level.  Though they are different types of players that are smaller and faster.  

49 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

If we are going to be playing more 4 man fronts, then we kind of do need a DT.  Anderson is a FA, McClendon is a FA.  We have Leonard, Shepherd(who has a lot to prove still before he can be counted on), and Pennell who is a great run stuffer and not much else.  With the possible exception of Leo none of those guys have proven to be able to get pressure up the middle, and Leo has yet to be a superstar at it.  A sack is a sack but pressure up the middle bothers QB's even more imo.  I want edge as much as the next desperate Jets fan but an edge rusher is less effective if the QB can just safely step up into a clean pocket.  

Q is the best player at getting pressure up the middle, so if we sign a FA edge rusher that is the perfect marriage 

I just think unless you’re getting the next aaron donald that DT is not a 3rd pick worthy position. I mean look we took Leo at 6 and has he given us #6 pick return? I’d say not even close.

11 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I just think unless you’re getting the next aaron donald that DT is not a 3rd pick worthy position. I mean look we took Leo at 6 and has he given us #6 pick return? I’d say not even close.

I still feel that if Leo is playing DT he could put huge pressure on the offensive center & guard. He is the kind of player who could stop a QB from stepping up in the pocket.

50 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

I'd put Brian Burns and Polite ahead of them from a pure pass rushing perspective at the next level.  Though they are different types of players that are smaller and faster.  

See I don’t think either fit in the new scheme, Polite I liked but I don’t think he would be a good fit as a DE at the next level and Burns to me is just too risky yes he’s ultra athletic but he also weighs close to 230 lbs. it could be just me but I’ve never been a fan of taking the long athletic project DE/LB that have to add a good amount of weight on for the next level. 

honestly I think we’re being to hard on Leo, he’s still a good young player who is still one of the best 5-7 players from that draft. We need to stop comparing Him to Donald. Donald is the rare exception that we’ve never seen before in this league and shouldn’t be treated as if a player doesn’t preform to his standard that he isn’t special in some regard.