2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

Just now, Rockice_8 said:

No we pass on the chance to get a freak pass rusher.  Darnold doesn't need a go to guy.  He just needs multiple high level weapons.  Having one go to guy isn't the way I prefer to build an offense.  Plus not all go to guys have to be taken top 3.   

I think this would be foolish personally. How would your super young developing QB not need a go-to guy? That's asking for another Mark Sanchez.

Just now, jetjuice said:

I'm playing devil's advocate, I'm just being logical here. If not in the first then when? Wait till R3 and get another ArDarius Stewart?

This WR class is deep there will be talent in round 3.  Just because we recently bombed in round 3 with a WR doesn't mean it will happen again.  The Superbowl MVP was a 7th rounder.  

Edited by Rockice_8

Just now, jetjuice said:

I'm playing devil's advocate, I'm just being logical here. If not in the first then when? Wait till R3 and get another ArDarius Stewart?

You can find productive WR's in the draft if you scout properly.  Our WR core would look a lot different if he took Godwin or Golladay over Stewart.  With that said, given that the team can't scout, i'd rather reach for Metcalf then take a risk on someone later on.

Just now, jetjuice said:

I think this would be foolish personally. How would your super young developing QB not need a go-to guy? That's asking for another Mark Sanchez.

Sure they need a go to guy in terms of safety and confidence in a pass catcher.  Goff's was Cooper Kupp.  

You can build a good offense and support your young QB without having Julio Jones on your team.

4 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

You can find productive WR's in the draft if you scout properly.  Our WR core would look a lot different if he took Godwin or Golladay over Stewart.  With that said, given that the team can't scout, i'd rather reach for Metcalf then take a risk on someone later on.

When you have the chance to draft game wrecker at 3 you do it.  There is a reason the highest paid defensive players sack the QB.  Sam doesn't need Metcalf if you put 3 talented WR's on the field who can all get open and a good TE like Herndon who could easily develop into Sam's future go to target.

Either way you are trusting your scout team to then find a pass rusher in the mid rounds.  If you can only take 1 sure thing you take the pass rusher over the WR every time especially considering it is a major need.  Way bigger than a WR.

Edited by Rockice_8

5 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

When you have the chance to draft game wrecker at 3 you do it.  There is a reason the highest paid defensive players sack the QB.  Sam doesn't need Metcalf if you put 3 talented WR's on the field who can all get open and a good TE like Herndon who could easily develop into Sam's future go to target.

Either way you are trusting your scout team to then find a pass rusher in the mid rounds.  If you can only take 1 sure thing you take the pass rusher over the WR every time especially considering it is a major need.  Way bigger than a WR.

If Bosa and Allen are gone, there's a serious debate to be made between Metcalf and a guy like Quinnen Williams though.  Developing Darnold is way more important than developing a d-line and it's a lot easier to build the d-line in FA than it is to build a good receiving core.  Even though there's a ton of WR depth in this draft, there's a ton of d-line depth too.  It's a good debate.

This is all going to be based off what we do in FA. 

Mac has tried to fill holes thru FA every year and then gone BPA with last season being the only exception. Im really hoping we are very aggressive in FA and can do whatever we want when our pic comes up. Thats how we would succeed. 

Just now, barnaby8787 said:

If Bosa and Allen are gone, there's a serious debate to be made between Metcalf and a guy like Quinnen Williams though.  Developing Darnold is way more important than developing a d-line and it's a lot easier to build the d-line in FA than it is to build a good receiving core.  Even though there's a ton of WR depth in this draft, there's a ton of d-line depth too.  It's a good debate.

This debate has always been under the assumption one of Bosa or Allen is on the board.  If not then things certainly look much different.  I would def consider reaching for Metcalf at that point but not in a million years over Bosa or Allen.  I would still prefer to trade down over taking Metcalf but if trade down wasn't a option then yes I would seriously consider him at 3.

That is assuming he isn't a tall muscular freak with only straight speed.  Need to make sure he checks all the boxes before saying for certain. 

6 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

This debate has always been under the assumption one of Bosa or Allen is on the board.  If not then things certainly look much different.  I would def consider reaching for Metcalf at that point but not in a million years over Bosa or Allen.  I would still prefer to trade down over taking Metcalf but if trade down wasn't a option then yes I would seriously consider him at 3.

That is assuming he isn't a tall muscular freak with only straight speed.  Need to make sure he checks all the boxes before saying for certain. 

Oh yeah, then I agree.  Although, I do question Allen's natural fit in a 4-3. With that said, if Allen or Bosa are on the board, i'd take them.  If not and you can't trade down, Metcalf.  A lot of mocks have us trading out which is nice.  I've seen a few mocking us trading down with Jax which would be a great landing spot.  Hopefully snag their 2nd and their two 3rd rounders.

27 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

We can get a guy like Trey Flowers in free agency. There's no FA WR out there that's as good at his position as Flowers is as a DE. Which really leaves us no choice but to draft a WR.

6 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

We can get a guy like Trey Flowers in free agency. There's no FA WR out there that's as good at his position as Flowers is as a DE. Which really leaves us no choice but to draft a WR.

Even if we don't get Trey, there's much more talent at DE/d-line in general in FA than WR as well.

2 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

I like N'keal, I just question his ability to separate at the next level.  I think the combine's extremely important for him personally.  I'm not saying that a 40 is ever a good barometer, but I'd be curious to see how well he runs. 

I questioned the same thing. But bc ASU used him on punt and kickoff return quite a bit... they must have believe in his speed and quickness. So like you said, I’ll be watching his numbers...