2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

Just now, jetjuice said:

We can get a guy like Trey Flowers in free agency. There's no FA WR out there that's as good at his position as Flowers is as a DE. Which really leaves us no choice but to draft a WR.

LOL that is some wack logic right there.  We need two pass rushers not 1 fist of all and we can sign lets say a guy like Funchess who is a solid #2 type WR and a big target.  Are you trying to say Sam couldn't develop with Anderson, Q, Funchess, and Herndon on the field along with maybe Bell or Coleman at RB?  

A great WR isn't helping Sam develop.  That is such a misconception in my eyes.  Is Julio gonna help Sam read the blitz, is he helping go through reads?  Yes don't get me wrong you need talent at the skill positions but I'd rather take 3 good WR's over 1 great one and 2 other mediocre WR's.  All it does is put a dependency on a great WR to beat his man and probably make Sam's stats look better because those guys make spectacular catches sometimes that others can't but it really doesn't help him develop.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

LOL that is some wack logic right there.  We need two pass rushers not 1 fist of all and we can sign lets say a guy like Funchess who is a solid #2 type WR and a big target.  Are you trying to say Sam couldn't develop with Anderson, Q, Funchess, and Herndon on the field along with maybe Bell or Coleman at RB?  

A great WR isn't helping Sam develop.  That is such a misconception in my eyes.  Is Julio gonna help Sam read the blitz, is he helping go through reads?  Yes don't get me wrong you need talent at the skill positions but I'd rather take 3 good WR's over 1 great one and 2 other mediocre WR's.  All it does is put a dependency on a great WR to beat his man and probably make Sam's stats look better because those guys make spectacular catches sometimes that others can't but it really doesn't help him develop.

If you're hedging your bets on Funchess being the guy for Darnold, you're going to be sorely disappointed. How is that wack logic? It's optimal allocation of assets. We have money to spend in FA, there are much better DE's than WR's in FA, so how does it not make sense to try and use our cap space on players that are better at their position and use our draft capital to get players that play positions that are weak in FA? Like I said, how do we come out of this offseason with a weapon better than Metcalf? I'm all ears. A great WR isn't going to help Sam develop? Really? 

24 minutes ago, jetfan8178 said:

Trey Flowers, Demarcus Lawrence, Frank Clark...

Ill take any of these guys and maybe throw in Grady Jarrett for good measure.

Clark and Lawrence aren't hitting the market, not a chance.  Flowers is the only one in that group that even has a shot.

When people start realizing that the FA edge class isn't going to be great.  It's going to be Barr, Fowler, maybe Flowers and rotational guys like Barrett who aren't real difference makers.  Even ATL said Jarrett is a priority.

These top FA's rarely hit the market unless the team is cap strapped.  Right now very few teams are so time to wake up and temper expectations.  Not only is this FA class not that great most teams have cap space so the ones that actually do make it to FA will have multiple teams looking to sign them.

If people are expecting to sign top players at multiple positions you are going to be seriously let down.

1 minute ago, jetjuice said:

If you're hedging your bets on Funchess being the guy for Darnold, you're going to be sorely disappointed. How is that wack logic? It's optimal allocation of assets. We have money to spend in FA, there are much better DE's than WR's in FA, so how does it not make sense to try and use our cap space on players that are better at their position and use our draft capital to get players that play positions that are weak in FA? Like I said, how do we come out of this offseason with a weapon better than Metcalf? I'm all ears. A great WR isn't going to help Sam develop? Really? 

Yes having great WR's will help his stats, doesn't help him read the blitz and go through progressions though.  Can't just focus on one guy all the time and hope he beats his man you need balance.

What about a defense that can keep teams in check so Sam doesn't have to score 30 every week to win.  You don't think that would help him too?  

Wake me up when we sign 2 high impact DE's and then maybe you have a point.  Until then I'm taking the pass rusher every time. 

Edited by Rockice_8

2 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Clark and Lawrence aren't hitting the market, not a chance.  Flowers is the only one in that group that even has a shot.

When people start realizing that the FA edge class isn't going to be great.  It's going to be Barr, Fowler, maybe Flowers and rotational guys like Barrett who aren't real difference makers.  Even ATL said Jarrett is a priority.

These top FA's rarely hit the market unless the team is cap strapped.  Right now very few teams are so time to wake up and temper expectations.  Not only is this FA class not that great most teams have cap space so the ones that actually do make it to FA will have multiple teams looking to sign them.

If people are expecting to sign top players at multiple positions you are going to be seriously let down.

That I do agree with, that the market will look a lot more scarce after resignings and tags. But it doesn't change the fact that the WR pool this year is still very weak and we need to strategically plan out how we're going to get a difference maker.

Just now, Rockice_8 said:

Yes having great WR's will help his stats, doesn't help him read the blitz and go through progressions though.  Can't just focus on one guy all the time and hope he beats his man you need balance.

What about a defense that can keep teams in check so Sam doesn't have to score 30 every week to win.  You don't think that would help him too?  

Our defense's struggles were more due to the fact that the offense hardly got in a rhythm and were on the field way too long. We need help on both sides of the ball for sure. I'm all about getting a pass rusher or two. With $120 mil in cap space we better be aggressive on both sides of the ball. I just don't know where we're gonna find weapons that are upgrades on what we have in FA, it's a very underwhelming class. The draft is a lot more appealing for WRs, whereas there's more balance between FA and the draft in terms of pass rushers.

Regardless, Mac has always tried to fill all holes via FA before the draft so he could go BPA and that's what he's done. Will it be different with a franchise QB in the fold and this being our only shot to develop him and surround him with talent? I thought everyone was on the same page as far as doing whatever it takes to put Sam in a fail-proof situation.

Just now, jetjuice said:

That I do agree with, that the market will look a lot more scarce after resignings and tags. But it doesn't change the fact that the WR pool this year is still very weak and we need to strategically plan out how we're going to get a difference maker.

Funchess doesn't have to be "the guy" he just needs to run his route and get open.  If he's not then Anderson is, or Q is or Herndon is singled up on a LB.  Depth is so much more important then having one great guy.  

The problem is you can't have a great pass rush (highly unlikely we sign two great rushers in FA) and have a stud WR too.  When there is a choice it's a simple one, take the elite pass rusher every single time.

1 minute ago, Rockice_8 said:

Funchess doesn't have to be "the guy" he just needs to run his route and get open.  If he's not then Anderson is, or Q is or Herndon is singled up on a LB.  Depth is so much more important then having one great guy.  

The problem is you can't have a great pass rush (highly unlikely we sign two great rushers in FA) and have a stud WR too.  When there is a choice it's a simple one, take the elite pass rusher every single time.

Funchess got benched in Carolina, he's not very good at doing that. And let's say we're faced with Quinnen vs. Metcalf at 3, then we don't even get to choose between a pass rusher or not. Then what, cuz it's not impossible that Bosa-Allen go 1-2.

Just now, jetjuice said:

Our defense's struggles were more due to the fact that the offense hardly got in a rhythm and were on the field way too long. We need help on both sides of the ball for sure. I'm all about getting a pass rusher or two. With $120 mil in cap space we better be aggressive on both sides of the ball. I just don't know where we're gonna find weapons that are upgrades on what we have in FA, it's a very underwhelming class. The draft is a lot more appealing for WRs, whereas there's more balance between FA and the draft in terms of pass rushers.

Regardless, Mac has always tried to fill all holes via FA before the draft so he could go BPA and that's what he's done. Will it be different with a franchise QB in the fold and this being our only shot to develop him and surround him with talent? I thought everyone was on the same page as far as doing whatever it takes to put Sam in a fail-proof situation.

Our defense was highly underwhelming.  Our pass rusher was non existent.  Yes our offense was awful but WR was far from an issue when we were healthy.  OL and QB play were far more of a problem.  One will naturally improve from year 1 to year 2 which is great but OL is way more important.

We need a ton of help no question but FA isn't going to fix this team in 1 offseason.

Just now, jetjuice said:

Funchess got benched in Carolina, he's not very good at doing that. And let's say we're faced with Quinnen vs. Metcalf at 3, then we don't even get to choose between a pass rusher or not. Then what, cuz it's not impossible that Bosa-Allen go 1-2.

I already made that clear that yes Metcalf could be an option if Bosa/Allen go 1-2.

I prefer Humphries to be honest in FA.  Dude gets open and has a high catch rate, would be a perfect slot WR.  Those are the guys we need to sign to help Sam.  There is no reason the natural development of Sam, a much improved OL, and adding another weapon like Humphries wouldn't be plenty to help Sam develop.  Not to mention adding a talent like Bell.

When you have a chance for the next Von Miller or Kahlil Mack you don't pass them up for anyone other than a QB.

1 minute ago, barnaby8787 said:

Highly doubtful that Lawrence or Clark hits the market 

Depending on Macc's stance I dont know if we would be in on Clark anyway.  He got throw off of the Michigan squad for DV.  Granted he pleaded to a lesser count but it was bad enough that it couldn't be brushed under the carpet.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I questioned the same thing. But bc ASU used him on punt and kickoff return quite a bit... they must have believe in his speed and quickness. So like you said, I’ll be watching his numbers... 

Harry is great after the catch and with the ball in his hands in general.  That is why ASU used him as a returner.  Even if he runs a good 40 it doesn't reflect on separation necessarily.  It usually has more to do with how proficient the WR is at the top of his route.  If he is rounding it off or needs extra steps to cut then he isn't going to get as open.  Clearly speed helps some but it helps more with getting open on a go route or a come back.  

I like Harry but he does scare me some.