2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

46 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Harry is great after the catch and with the ball in his hands in general.  That is why ASU used him as a returner.  Even if he runs a good 40 it doesn't reflect on separation necessarily.  It usually has more to do with how proficient the WR is at the top of his route.  If he is rounding it off or needs extra steps to cut then he isn't going to get as open.  Clearly speed helps some but it helps more with getting open on a go route or a come back.  

I like Harry but he does scare me some.  

I don't think running a good 40 reflects purely on separation, but I think a bad 40 will add to the growing concerns of him having issues separating downfield at the next level.

2 hours ago, NYJETS52 said:

Depending on Macc's stance I dont know if we would be in on Clark anyway.  He got throw off of the Michigan squad for DV.  Granted he pleaded to a lesser count but it was bad enough that it couldn't be brushed under the carpet.

Also Clark insulted the female writer who wrote about his DV crap. 

16 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

I don't think running a good 40 reflects purely on separation, but I think a bad 40 will add to the growing concerns of him having issues separating downfield at the next level.

True. Route running is key in terms of separation along with their ability to explode out of breaks. If you can set your man up and then explode out of your break then you can gain separation with ease. Edelman is a prime example of that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KingOfTheDot said:

True. Route running is key in terms of separation along with their ability to explode out of breaks. If you can set your man up and then explode out of your break then you can gain separation with ease. Edelman is a prime example of that.

Absolutely. This class is more of a big WR class. So their games are different. Playing more the DT, JJ, Mike Evans type roles with most these top WRs. Where separation isn’t as much of a need for them. Bc they win with size and strength more than quickness. Thing is Gase prefers quickness it seems. So not sure if he even craves the Metcalf, Harry, Butler type WRs in this class, even if they do run good 40s.

52 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Absolutely. This class is more of a big WR class. So their games are different. Playing more the DT, JJ, Mike Evans type roles with most these top WRs. Where separation isn’t as much of a need for them. Bc they win with size and strength more than quickness. Thing is Gase prefers quickness it seems. So not sure if he even craves the Metcalf, Harry, Butler type WRs in this class, even if they do run good 40s.

He got some good production out of Alshon Jeffrey in Chicago. 

In 9 games(8 starts) 54 Rec 807 yards 14.9 ypc 4 TDs 

That’s really good production so I think Gase can adapt to bigger receivers but between Denver and Miami it’s clear he likes guys who can catch and run. 

The good thing is we don’t have ourselves tied to one or the other right now on our roster so maybe he builds a hybrid scheme incorporating both big and shifty receivers.

7 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Something I think we target is a mid round C. I think we for sure get Paradis. But at 29-30... he's not an answer to the C position for us... he's a good starter for 2 maybe 3 years. So a long term option I think will be targeted perhaps in the mid rounds.

Possibly as he is still rehabbing.

4 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

He got some good production out of Alshon Jeffrey in Chicago. 

In 9 games(8 starts) 54 Rec 807 yards 14.9 ypc 4 TDs 

That’s really good production so I think Gase can adapt to bigger receivers but between Denver and Miami it’s clear he likes guys who can catch and run. 

The good thing is we don’t have ourselves tied to one or the other right now on our roster so maybe he builds a hybrid scheme incorporating both big and shifty receivers.

Yup.  YAC is the key in his offense.   Quick hip and strong upper body are things to look at nakedly.  

7 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Gase had mainly smaller quicker receivers last year, but he has had success with bigger guys in the past.  Marshall and Alshon both played very well under him, so I think he would be just as happy with some big guys out there.

37 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Gase had mainly smaller quicker receivers last year, but he has had success with bigger guys in the past.  Marshall and Alshon both played very well under him, so I think he would be just as happy with some big guys out there.

I agree and I actually prefer a bigger WR that can play physical. I think we need to add a big guy and a shifty guy. I hope you’re right. The only thing that has me not 100% in agreement is that he was just an OC in those situations. Having minimal control over what he wanted personnel wise on offense. Here he has more of a say so, like he did last year. And he seemed to gravitate more to shifty guys. 

http://www.draftcountdown.com/2019/2019-nfl-scouting-combine-invite-list/

Watch out for CB Blessaun Austin of Rutgers.  He could be 1st round or 2nd round had he not blew his knee.

DE Wyatt Ray of Boston College is a good worker so test numbers need to standout to get own recognizance.

Dawson Knox of Ole Miss may be a darkhorse for best all around TE at next level.  Late round gem?

Lil Jordan Humphrey of Texas may be best powerful runner in WR class.