Preseason week 2 GDT: 49ers vs Texans

Forge

Week 2 preseason game day thread. 

Biggest thing I"m looking for here will be the defense creating a little bit of pressure. I don't mind if we don't actually get to Watson, after all, he's fast and elusive, but I certainly need to see some pressure. The texans have one of the worst offensive lines in football, I think, so if we are not creating pressure, that's going to be pretty disappointing. 

Also want to see the running backs. McNichols and Williams certainly have a chance to shine here. Honestly, they're probably not just fighting for a roster spot, but potentially a practice squad spot as well, because if they both miss the roster, only one is going to the PS. 

Pettis seemed to have big days in the joint practices and I'm interested in seeing if it carries over to today.

Definitely excited to see Taylor again. He played pretty much the entire game last week but I doubt he gets that much time today. Likely just one half. 

The RB battle is obviously another thing to watch. 

We get our first taste of Warner in a SF uniform. If he has a big preseason, he may unseat Smith sooner than later.

Last week Robinson/Burbridge got in before Bourne and Pettis. Will that flip today? Bourne may need some good games to make the team. Definitely didn't expect to be saying that a month ago, but that looks to be reality. Especially with how good James is looking. 

McGlinchey wasn't bad last week, but I want to see him get about a half worth of playing time. Want to see him out in space in an outside zone run to see how he looks in that area. 

Oh yeah, can't forget about my guy DJ Reed. Just want to see him fly around and make plays all over the field. 

I want see to Warner play. I wonder if he'll play with the 1's, assuming Malcom Smith is still injured or maybe they want to rest him until week 1? I know Warner was nursing a chest contusion or something of the sort for the first preseason game, so hopefully he plays this one.

Others have been mentioned already.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Pettis seemed to have big days in the joint practices and I'm interested in seeing if it carries over to today.

Definitely excited to see Taylor again. He played pretty much the entire game last week but I doubt he gets that much time today. Likely just one half. 

The RB battle is obviously another thing to watch. 

We get our first taste of Warner in a SF uniform. If he has a big preseason, he may unseat Smith sooner than later.

Last week Robinson/Burbridge got in before Bourne and Pettis. Will that flip today? Bourne may need some good games to make the team. Definitely didn't expect to be saying that a month ago, but that looks to be reality. Especially with how good James is looking. 

McGlinchey wasn't bad last week, but I want to see him get about a half worth of playing time. Want to see him out in space in an outside zone run to see how he looks in that area. 

Oh yeah, can't forget about my guy DJ Reed. Just want to see him fly around and make plays all over the field. 

Just noticed you mentioned Warner as well

I wonder if we could see Pita Taumoepenu earlier in the game, this week. Last week, he was one of the few players I noticed more than once (along with Taylor). In the second half, he was playing with great intensity. 

In the running game, it's really McNichols' chance to shine. If he starts and gets a good game, it could lock up a roster spot for him, at least to begin the year. I'm not confident Williams will get it done. I hope Morris will only get in the game late. We don't need to find out what we have in him. I want the young guys to go against the 1s.

28 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I wonder if we could see Pita Taumoepenu earlier in the game, this week. Last week, he was one of the few players I noticed more than once (along with Taylor). In the second half, he was playing with great intensity. 

In the running game, it's really McNichols' chance to shine. If he starts and gets a good game, it could lock up a roster spot for him, at least to begin the year. I'm not confident Williams will get it done. I hope Morris will only get in the game late. We don't need to find out what we have in him. I want the young guys to go against the 1s.

I feel like Pita is destined for the PS again. 

I'm hoping to see good things from McNichols. I was much higher on him than I was Williams coming out, and I like to be right LOL. 

6 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Would hate to see Bourne cut

Archived