Preseason Game#2 Thread: San Francisco Niners vs Houston Texans

Texansfan713

I can't think of a single defensive standout today except Duke again, yet it's a 7 pt half.   Better get used to QBs picking on weak links like Virgin.  How soon until we are playing the San Jose State starting unit.  From stopping Wyoming and Nevada to the Patriots - what could go wrong? 

7 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

After what happened last year, I would keep Hopkins, Fuller, Coutte, Ellington, Coats and Miller

So who you cutting for the extra WR spot?  I'm assuming we keep 3 QBs as well, so there's another extra spot.   Cutting down to 3 TEs won't be an easy one either but I think Anderson is outside looking in.  3 RBs isn't easy either as it means cutting Ervin/Pope (although I wish Blue) and that's IF we PUP Foreman.   On the bright side, I'm having a tough time seeing 5 DBs I want on this team, better yet 10.   

Running a personal blog at this point, but WR Vyncint Moore (stupidest spelling EVER) and RB Coleman with cut-able offenses.  Coleman with ugly fumble following a decent carry.  Smith with one of the ugliest plays a WR can make - causing an int, then completely ignoring tackle for 40+ yard return (penalty bailed).    Where is this Swanson guy we were all pumped for - yay just got a carry?   Pope ought to be a lock after adding a solid kick return to his already impressive job catching balls out of the backfield.   Blue is begging for someone to take his job adding a fumble to a typical 2.4 ypc effort which is bouyed by a a 9 yard run thru a massive hole followed by 6 runs where he just blindly runs up the backside of his lineman for negative yards or at best falling forward a yard.   If it a choice between Blue and Prosch I take Prosch and that's just sad.  Just keep Webb as #3QB/RB and hit the waiver wire if Miller gets hurt before Foreman is healthy.  

Didn't even get to let Pastor respond before Coates injury likely cleared up logjam at WR with concussion probably knocking him from bubble since performance has been uneven and needed to continue to improve next two games.  Sucks to have a guy probably cost you your job with a blatant helmet hit on defenseless receiver but you don't make club in da tub.   Refs in preseason form with silly incidental helmet contact penalty in the 1st, then swallowing whistle on literally THE textbook hit the NFL HAS to eliminate (and result).  O'Brien was ripping into refs for it at end of half.  

Holy crap, THAT's what Swanson can do.  More burst in one play than Blue has shown in 5 seasons.  Puleeez give him more than garbage snaps next week.  Why on earth are we even wasting reps on Blue with second team when we have tape on about 600 runs showing practically the same degree of nothingness with maybe 4-5 not awful runs a season usually negated by a fumble or dropped pass?   Do we really need further confirmation that he lacks speed, vision, elusiveness, hands, has never broken a tackle and offers nothing on special teams.  In the Texans Hall of "How the hell does he keep making this roster" Blue is the the MVP (Petey Faggins, Kasey Studdard, Kendall Lamm, Jesse Nading - finalists). 

Really, not much else to add for a game that did very little to clear up roster spots. Pope and Ellington continue to stand out on offense and Duke continues to shine. O-Line continues to hold up well against vanilla pash rush schemes, but I'll take it.  Ugly game for the secondary and run game and TE's aside from Griffin.  Not sure what AX2 saw with Webb, but you can't watch the guy and not see a guy who would have given us a chance of actually making things interesting last year instead of throwing in the towel with the Savage/Yates statues even with some boneheaded plays, and being too quick to tuck and run.  Weedon wasn't as effective today but I always saw more in him than Savage as a backup.  Watson was a machine. 

Side note - play by play call on final seconds "winning TD" has to be the worst in history.  Joe Buck is notorious for saying nothing during winning plays to let the moment speak for itself, but this tool not only failed to acknowledge the TD when it happened,  didn't do it with multiple officials indicating TD's, then stubbornly kept arguing that Smith had "clearly been touched."  Sure it's preseason and I didn't exactly do a zapruder analysis, but he and Tillman spend the entire game sunshine pumping everything so hard they couldn't even acknowledge an obvious illegal hit likely ending Coates chance or Smith making zero effort to tackle on an int he caused, yet the winning play is where you choose to step all over the play and argue a highly questionable point against the home team?  I'm probably the only person outside of blood relatives who cared at this point (including the one who chose to spell her kids name, Vyncint), but I think the 12 year old who interviewed Bob at halftime displayed better broadcast instincts as he knew to press on the "why do you yell so much" question, but let the favorite emoji question go.

I never thought I could cringe more from a broadcast than Vandermeers hackish "rock and roll" td calls (aka our recurring "boom goes the dynamite" nightmare), but the cascading failure of this guy casting his lot with the 100% certainty that the ball is on the 3 yard line all the way thru the TD signal and review was painful.    Pretty sure it was so bad it made Nick Rose shank the xtra point, just so he wouldn't be the only one to screw up his big preseason moment.

Archived