Sign in to follow this  
RamPackFan

G.1 Pre-season/Post-Game Analysis vs Cowboys

Posted (edited)

Jared-Goff-LA-Rams-vs-Cowboys.jpg

Just wanted to hear some thoughts and comments about last nights game.  What did you all take away from it?  What player impressed you the most? Areas of improvement or areas where you saw improvement?

It's early and it's still pre-season but our defense was looking pretty sweet overall.  I have really high-expectations going into the year with our defense and I expect them to be an easy top 5 defense in the league.  We were constantly bringing pressure to the QB and our DB's were playing pretty well, much improved from last year (so far). Marqui Christian #41 impressed me a bit. Played very well...he was flying all over the place.  Our defense didn't need too much improvement from last year....the interesting part is how we would transition into this 3-4 scheme. So far so good!

Offensively I was pretty impressed by how much more comfortable and confident Goff looked during the first 2 drives...I wish we could've gotten to see more out of him, not sure why they didn't work him more?  Mannion played smart and moved the ball down the field well....I like his chemistry with Spruce.  Spruce needs to be on this team, IMO.  The guy is so darn reliable and in all honesty, as much as I like Tavon, I'd roll with Spruce.  I have a feeling Tavon could be on his way out sooner than later due to this crowded WR lineup we now have....could he be dealt to another team before season ends? Maybe to add more OL depth? I don't think Cooper is going anywhere either, I think the coaches really like his physicality and toughness.  I'm a big fan of Todd Gurley but he's still not hitting that hole with the explosiveness I'd expect?  Justin Davis really showed some potential (minus the fumbles)....I liked what I saw out of our backfield minus Gurley, which is a disappointment for me.  Cooper Kupp is going to be amazing - you can just see it.  He plays a lot like Jordy Nelson, IMO.....can't wait to see our offense fire on all cylinders.

Edited by RamPackFan

Just my two cents:

• Our defense looks amazing. Wade is incredible at what he does. Our first two units were playing fast and loose. They tackled well and suffocated Dallas's offense. Additionally, our DL and LBs were giving Dallas's OL problems. Dallas was missing Tyron Smith, but they had the rest of their top OLs out there IIRC. It's very promising to see our DL and LBs do that without Donald and Quinn.(and very little Barwin and Brockers)
  • The offense is a work in progress. Our starting offense looked bad on the first drive and great on the second-chance opportunity. There's not a lot we can evaluate of Goff because he threw so few passes. I liked what I saw in the little we had.
  • Our first-unit run blocking is still bad. I hope we see improvement. Brown needs to improve at RG.
  • Our first-unit OL did pass protect well. Whitworth is a rock.
  • Gerald Everett and Cooper Kupp both were excellent. Everett is the YAC threat that he was billed as in the draft. Kupp is polished and a great football player. He'll have some inconsistencies as a rookie, but he's going to make an impact this year.
  • Pharoh Cooper also had himself a nice day.
  • We gotta work with our HBs, WRs, and TEs on protecting the ball. There were way too many balls coughed up today.
  • Justin Davis ran the ball well (although, he received quality blocking). However, he coughed the ball up twice and was a disaster in pass protection. He has talent, but he's gotta get those issues figured out quickly.
  • Pace Murphy had a really rough day.
  • Sean Mannion played well after a rocky start.
  • I don't see Nelson Spruce making the team. He's just too limited of an athlete. I love his toughness and reliability, but he just isn't getting much separation or creating after the catch.

That's all I got. I didn't watch the defense as close as the offense, so I can't speak as much to how individual defenders did. I can say that I liked what I saw from NRC and Morgan Fox. Feel free to add your own observations as I'm sure I missed something.

17 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Just my two cents:

• Our defense looks amazing. Wade is incredible at what he does. Our first two units were playing fast and loose. They tackled well and suffocated Dallas's offense. Additionally, our DL and LBs were giving Dallas's OL problems. Dallas was missing Tyron Smith, but they had the rest of their top OLs out there IIRC. It's very promising to see our DL and LBs do that without Donald and Quinn.(and very little Barwin and Brockers)
  • The offense is a work in progress. Our starting offense looked bad on the first drive and great on the second-chance opportunity. There's not a lot we can evaluate of Goff because he threw so few passes. I liked what I saw in the little we had.
  • Our first-unit run blocking is still bad. I hope we see improvement. Brown needs to improve at RG.
  • Our first-unit OL did pass protect well. Whitworth is a rock.
  • Gerald Everett and Cooper Kupp both were excellent. Everett is the YAC threat that he was billed as in the draft. Kupp is polished and a great football player. He'll have some inconsistencies as a rookie, but he's going to make an impact this year.
  • Pharoh Cooper also had himself a nice day.
  • We gotta work with our HBs, WRs, and TEs on protecting the ball. There were way too many balls coughed up today.
  • Justin Davis ran the ball well (although, he received quality blocking). However, he coughed the ball up twice and was a disaster in pass protection. He has talent, but he's gotta get those issues figured out quickly.
  • Pace Murphy had a really rough day.
  • Sean Mannion played well after a rocky start.
  • I don't see Nelson Spruce making the team. He's just too limited of an athlete. I love his toughness and reliability, but he just isn't getting much separation or creating after the catch.

That's all I got. I didn't watch the defense as close as the offense, so I can't speak as much to how individual defenders did. I can say that I liked what I saw from NRC and Morgan Fox. Feel free to add your own observations as I'm sure I missed something.

If you had to pick who will make the team who would you say? Just trying to get a feel of what the staff is thinking or ??? I mean, Tavon has to be on his way out, no? Maybe looking to deal him once he's back from injury status? Not sure all the logistics in all this stuff....some of you are waaaaay smarter and advanced in that dept than I am...as far as salary cap hit, contracts, etc.  Would it be smart to deal him for maybe some OL depth? With Woods, Kupp, and Watkins out there as most likely starters, I don't really see Tavon fitting in too well...esp since its Tavon, Kupp, and Cooper all going competing for the same spot essentially...Spruce if you wanna throw him in as well?

2 hours ago, RamPackFan said:

If you had to pick who will make the team who would you say? Just trying to get a feel of what the staff is thinking or ??? I mean, Tavon has to be on his way out, no? Maybe looking to deal him once he's back from injury status? Not sure all the logistics in all this stuff....some of you are waaaaay smarter and advanced in that dept than I am...as far as salary cap hit, contracts, etc.  Would it be smart to deal him for maybe some OL depth? With Woods, Kupp, and Watkins out there as most likely starters, I don't really see Tavon fitting in too well...esp since its Tavon, Kupp, and Cooper all going competing for the same spot essentially...Spruce if you wanna throw him in as well?

If someone would give up something for Tavon then sure you move him. I just dont think anyone would (production and contract dont have much value). Maybe he is ok to start the season, and a contender is desperate for a weapon at the deadline and you can pry away a Draft pick for him? But even that is unlikely.

2 hours ago, RamPackFan said:

I'd say:

Watkins

Woods

Kupp

Austin

Reynolds

Cooper

I think they'll evaluate Thomas after the suspension.