CW21's 2019 NFL Draft Thread (Bring On Questions)

CWood21

On 1/30/2019 at 5:00 PM, NCOUGHMAN said:

What do you think about Juan Thornhill safety from va?

He's a solid all-around safety who I don't think does anything exceptionally well, but I also don't think he's a huge liability either.  I think he's a bit better off closer to the LOS than he is in a CF role, so if you're playing him I'd like to see him more in a nickel back role where he's allowed to blitz off the edge.  Seems like a solid Day 2 pick.

On 8/26/2018 at 9:41 PM, CWood21 said:

Obviously still early, but it appears to be rather strong along both the offensive and defensive lines.  Which given the last few years, that's a welcome sight.  Not sure there is a ton of talent in the secondary.

this bodes well for us

On 2/10/2019 at 11:35 AM, OneTwoSixFive said:

Finally we get to the question. Taking all this into account, how would you prioritise your picks ?

For me, It's Oliver (barely) over Ferrell, then Simmons, Wilkins, Sweat, Gary, Polite, Burns. I think Oliver/Ferrell/Simmons/Wilkins would fit just fine with the Packers (though taking a degree of creativity), Gary could be good, but needs more work to fit than the first three. I went Sweat/Polite/Burns in that order, as I prefer somewhat bigger bodies at edge. Sweat and Wilkins were pretty much equal in my eyes, while Gary was as far down as he was because of fit, rather than overall talent.

You're really getting into more of a philosophical discussion.  At the end of the day, it's probably dependent on what kind of scheme you want and where you want to generate pressure from.  There's an argument that you putting an OT on an island and asking them to win a one-on-one matchup is harder than putting someone in a small area and asking them to win in a phone booth.  On the other hand, there are easier ways to scheme protection.  I think you can't go wrong with either, just kinda depends on which scheme you're taking.

On 2/11/2019 at 7:50 PM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

If Kyler Murray was 6'4'', would he be considered the consensus #1 QB and a lock for the Top-5/10?

I think we'd be having a very different discussion.  Would be the consensus #1 QB?  Maybe.  I think those that were bullish on Baker Mayfield last year are still going to be a bit bullish on Murray.  Haskins is your more traditional QB, but if Murray is 6'4" he probably doesn't have quite that athleticism that he does at his current frame.

On 2/15/2019 at 8:47 AM, NoDakViking said:

If you were running the Vikings and Lindstrom, Ford, and Risner are there at 18, who are you taking?  Or looking at another position?

Honestly, kinda just a matter of preference.  Risner settled some issues about his ability to play tackle between the arm length and his play in the Senior Bowl.  Probably a bit more comfortable running him out at tackle, but he's got a bit more positional versatility than the rest.  Lindstrom is probably your classic plug 'n play at OG, but he's got no experience playing center that I'm aware of and you're probably not running him out at tackle.  Ford is probably the most natural tackle prospect, but you might kick him back inside if he struggles.  You usually don't kick guys inside out.  If I had to rank them, I'd probably take Risner in the first, followed by Lindstrom in the 2nd, and then Ford in the 1st in that order.

On 2/18/2019 at 12:04 AM, onejayhawk said:

I get that there are few, if any, 1st round valued QBs. How many do you expect to be taken in spite of that?

J

I'd anticipate two minimum.  I think with that 5th year option we will see a team kick back into that first round.  We've seen on average 3 QBs drafted in the first round since 2010 and every year since 2013 has had at least 3 QBs taken except 2015.

On 8/18/2018 at 1:59 PM, CWood21 said:

Tight Ends

1st Round Grade
TJ Hockenson [TE; Iowa]

2nd Round Grade
Irv Smith Jr. [TE; Alabama]
Noah Fant [TE; Iowa]
Jace Sternberger [TE; Texas A&M]

3rd Round Grade
Isaac Nauta [TE; Georgia]

4th Round Grade
Kaden Smith [TE; Stanford]

5th Round Grade
Caleb Wilson [TE; UCLA]
Alize Mack [TE; Notre Dame]
Tommy Sweeney [TE; Boston College]

6th Round Grade
Dawson Knox [TE; Ole Miss]
Dax Raymond [TE; Utah State]

7th Round Grade

UDFA Grade
Andrew Beck [TE; Texas]
C.J. Conrad [TE; Kentucky]
Zach Gentry [TE; Michigan]
Foster Moreau [TE; LSU]
Josh Oliver [TE; San Jose State]
Donald Parham [TE; Stetson]
Tyler Petite [TE; USC]
Drew Sample [TE; Washington]

Initial TE rankings are now up.

18 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Initial TE rankings are now up.

How is Drew Sample a UDFA?  The kid is a great blocker and that allow will probably get him drafted.  Not to mention Josh Oliver, now how that physical freak show goes undrafted, kid should blow up potentially at the combine and has tons of upside.  Also CJ Conrad is a physical beast as well and a great blocker and a weapon as a pass catcher, love how hard he plays and how physical he is.  And Trevon Wesco I think will be a late round pick or a UDFA, he is a versatile blocker, good pass catcher and could be great in a HB role potentially.

20 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

How is Drew Sample a UDFA?  The kid is a great blocker and that allow will probably get him drafted.  Not to mention Josh Oliver, now how that physical freak show goes undrafted, kid should blow up potentially at the combine and has tons of upside.  Also CJ Conrad is a physical beast as well and a great blocker and a weapon as a pass catcher, love how hard he plays and how physical he is.  And Trevon Wesco I think will be a late round pick or a UDFA, he is a versatile blocker, good pass catcher and could be great in a HB role potentially.

Came here to ask about Wesco, too. :D 

Archived