CW21's 2019 NFL Draft Thread (Bring On Questions)

CWood21

16 minutes ago, tom cody said:

How many QB's do you see going in Round 1?

his second last post answers that..

On 2/20/2019 at 4:57 PM, CWood21 said:
On 2/18/2019 at 1:04 AM, onejayhawk said:

I get that there are few, if any, 1st round valued QBs. How many do you expect to be taken in spite of that?

J

I'd anticipate two minimum.  I think with that 5th year option we will see a team kick back into that first round.  We've seen on average 3 QBs drafted in the first round since 2010 and every year since 2013 has had at least 3 QBs taken except 2015.

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

How is Drew Sample a UDFA?  The kid is a great blocker and that allow will probably get him drafted.  Not to mention Josh Oliver, now how that physical freak show goes undrafted, kid should blow up potentially at the combine and has tons of upside.  Also CJ Conrad is a physical beast as well and a great blocker and a weapon as a pass catcher, love how hard he plays and how physical he is.  And Trevon Wesco I think will be a late round pick or a UDFA, he is a versatile blocker, good pass catcher and could be great in a HB role potentially.

Don't really see Sample offering much if anything in the passing game, which relegates him to a #2 TE and situational blocker.  Not overly valuable, you're probably talking about a late Day 3 pick at best.  I don't see Oliver as an athletic freak, but we can revisit that one after the Combine.  Same thing with Conrad.  Haven't seen Wesco though.

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Don't really see Sample offering much if anything in the passing game, which relegates him to a #2 TE and situational blocker.  Not overly valuable, you're probably talking about a late Day 3 pick at best.  I don't see Oliver as an athletic freak, but we can revisit that one after the Combine.  Same thing with Conrad.  Haven't seen Wesco though.

Might want to watch Oliver some more if you do not think he is a freak athlete, the guy is put together and arguably in terms of the walk off the bus type, he is the most physically impressive TE in the draft.  His build as a TE is arguably second to none in this draft class.  But yeah let us see how he does as the combine.

8688356.jpg

On 2/25/2019 at 4:23 PM, Ozzy said:

Might want to watch Oliver some more if you do not think he is a freak athlete, the guy is put together and arguably in terms of the walk off the bus type, he is the most physically impressive TE in the draft.  His build as a TE is arguably second to none in this draft class.  But yeah let us see how he does as the combine.

Definitely a disappointing combine for Oliver.  Was really hoping he'd test better.  Other than his 40 yard dash, he tested middle of the pack amongst TEs.  But his speed and large hands are going to get him drafted.  Maybe he's a Day 3 pick, but this is a strong TE class and he's not among the best.

On 2/26/2019 at 2:41 PM, ronjon1990 said:

Brett Rypien over. Clayton Thorson? Why so high on Rypien, low on Thorson? I like both,  btw.

Caleb Wilson in the 5th? Blocking skills dropping him?

Quite frankly, none of the QBs are very good.  Brett Rypien is the classic high floor QB.  Thorson's decision making is a major red flag for me, and his CMP% isn't good either.  And I'd consider myself high on him.  As a developmental type, I like him but if you're expecting much from him I think you're going to come away very disappointed.  Rypien is your high floor QB, who probably projects long-term as a backup QB.  Nothing overly valuable, but enough to keep him in the league.

As for Wilson, yes that doesn't help.  He's probably an early Day 3 pick right now, maybe he slips into that late Day 2 portion of the draft if TEs go fast.

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Definitely a disappointing combine for Oliver.  Was really hoping he'd test better.  Other than his 40 yard dash, he tested middle of the pack amongst TEs.  But his speed and large hands are going to get him drafted.  Maybe he's a Day 3 pick, but this is a strong TE class and he's not among the best.

3rd in the 40 at 4.63
5th in the bench at 22 but basically tied for 2nd
7th in vertical at 34"
7th in broad jump at 117"
11th in 3 cone at 7.21

And is 6-5 249 and one of the biggest tight ends at the combine, sure was below average in the 20 shuttle and 60 shuttle but I thought he did well overall, especially with that bench number and 40 number.  Disappointing, I would not call it that.  I never expected him to be 1st across the board.  

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

3rd in the 40 at 4.63
5th in the bench at 22 but basically tied for 2nd
7th in vertical at 34"
7th in broad jump at 117"
11th in 3 cone at 7.21

And is 6-5 249 and one of the biggest tight ends at the combine, sure was below average in the 20 shuttle and 60 shuttle but I thought he did well overall, especially with that bench number and 40 number.  Disappointing, I would not call it that.  I never expected him to be 1st across the board.  

There were 21 TEs at the Combine.  Being anything outside of maybe the top 3 isn't anything special.  Really the 40 yard dash and bench press were really the only thing he was top 3 in, but he was bunched in with a bunch of other players in bench press numbers.  The only thing that Oliver stood out in was the 40 yard dash.  He was average in the rest.  When you talk about a freak, we're talking about elite in multiple ways.  Not just in the 40 yard dash.

Archived