CW21's 2019 NFL Draft Thread (Bring On Questions)

CWood21

23 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

For the Packers, the 2018 draft had several pass rushers, but (almost) every one had limitations and they went CB, CB, instead..

My question is that in the 2019 draft (which looks a very good one for 3/4 OLB types), do you think there are enough good rushers to get a starter-quality guy in round two (which would probably be the Packers 3rd pick), or is the talent dropoff still too steep, to get a good rusher in round 2 ?

Bosa and Ferrell look like they will be long gone by the Packers pick, but Montez Sweat, Joe Jackson, Jalen Jelks, Josh Allen, Austin Bryant, Christian Miller, Tevon Coney, Porter Gustin, are among the guys that look interesting, as early-draftable prospects. Is the 2019 draft as good (for 3-4 OLBs) as it looks to me at the moment ?

Historically speaking, that pass rush class gets dried up quick.  Much like the OT class does.  You're running a huge risk that there will be a quality pass rusher available early in teh 2nd round, let alone late in the 2nd round.  My guess is our top 3 picks will be some combination of EDGE, S, and OT depending on what happens this year.

35 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Historically speaking, that pass rush class gets dried up quick.  Much like the OT class does.  You're running a huge risk that there will be a quality pass rusher available early in teh 2nd round, let alone late in the 2nd round.  My guess is our top 3 picks will be some combination of EDGE, S, and OT depending on what happens this year.

Those positions (Edge, S, OT) are the exact three I would have chosen, as well.

If none of the Packers many young WRs looks like developing as they would hope, I did see the possibility of a high (first or second round) WR. TE is also a posible choice for round 2, but i think they might hold off on that for a year, if they continue to keep Lewis, Graham (and hopefully Tonyan). 

I have noticed (on Drafttek) that there were a several offensive tackles available in round 2, so Edge, then Safety, then Tackle, looks a possible way to go. It is far too early to have any high degree of confidence in the order you pick the positions, but I'll go with that choice for now. I just might take pass rushers with two of the first three picks instead, but I'll have a better idea when 2019 rolls around.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/4/2018 at 1:33 PM, Shylo3716 said:

How good of a shot does Ohio State to have a CB selected in the first-round in 2019?

I suppose it's possible.  Damon Arnette is a junior who could declare with a big year as is Kendall Sheffield.  I think that if they have big years, they could parlay that into high picks but at this point I think they're projected to return to Columbus for another year.  I wouldn't feel very confident that one of them will go in the first round, but both could push themselves into that discussion with big years.

On 9/4/2018 at 2:55 PM, bananabucket said:

Which off ball LBs do you see with potential first round grades?

Devin White will probably be the first off-the-ball LB off the board, but there's a slew of guys who could put themselves in position.  There's a few guys who could play off-ball LB role, but might be drafted in another role first.

Leading the pack of current QB's in this draft class will be Hebert, Lock, Haskins, and probably Montez.

Would you say starting off this year are we looking at a better QB draft class this year as oppose to last year even if they are not drafted as high as the others?

I would personally say yes with the obvious physical upside each one posses over 2018 including gameplay they have shown, but i'm curious at what you think.

On 9/29/2018 at 12:08 PM, Texansfan713 said:

whats your opinion of the OL class for next year's draft? Specifically the tackles.

It's a solid OL class.  Nothing special, and not overly deep or top heavy either.  Right now, Trey Adams is probably the top OT by default but we need to see more development from him.  I know I was high on him last year, and he kind of fell flat.  Jonah Williams out of Alabama should probably go in the top 64 picks.  You've got guys like Greg Little, Mitch Hyatt, Bobby Evans, etc. who are going to be able to put themselves in position to hear their names called pretty high.

On 9/29/2018 at 2:17 PM, Calvert28 said:

Leading the pack of current QB's in this draft class will be Hebert, Lock, Haskins, and probably Montez.

Would you say starting off this year are we looking at a better QB draft class this year as oppose to last year even if they are not drafted as high as the others?

I would personally say yes with the obvious physical upside each one posses over 2018 including gameplay they have shown, but i'm curious at what you think.

I think there might be a little more hype for this year's class, but that's probably more because it's recent memory.  Going into last year, Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold were clearly on NFL radars moreso than Lock and Herbert who were considered the top 2 QBs coming into this year.  I think a LOT of what they dealt with was prospect fatigue.  Even Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield had their supporters too.  Every year, we get entranced with the new QB class.  Going back to 1990, we've only had 6 draft classes (1999, 2003, 2004, 2011, 2012, and 2018) where 4+ QBs went in the first round.  Could it happen again?  IF there are enough QB-needy teams, absolutely.  Just going down the reverse standings order, I'm skeptical that happens.  The first QB-needy team would possibly be the Giants at 8 and Steelers at 13.  Obviously, a LOT will change between now and April but I'm not very confident we're going to see 4+ QBs go in the first round.

1 hour ago, IDOG_det said:

He should stay in school tbh 

I am becoming a big fan of Denzel Mims TBH who would fit the Cleveland need. But I want him in Dallas. A long strider who can reach his top end speed very quickly and this guy has 2 games this year already with double digit catches, one of those teams was OU.

Archived