CW21's 2019 NFL Draft Thread (Bring On Questions)

CWood21

On 10/5/2018 at 6:58 PM, Forge said:

Fwiw, my understanding from an article I read on him was that he dropped 20 pounds this off-season, which is probably why you are getting the disparity in weight

Would make more sense, although I worry about his ability to hold up agains the run if he's truly playing at 240.  We ran into that same concern last year with Harold Landry as he was a bit lighter than ideal, but he came in at 252 instead.  Would like to see if he can keep that explosion at ~250 pounds.

On 10/10/2018 at 8:36 AM, YogiBiz said:

I can see how you can say the tape can be issue. He has the tools. 

Grizmo's scouting report isn't all that inaccurate.  There's enough there that you're going to be willing to gamble at least a Day 2 pick on him.  Would I use a Day 1 pick on him?  No, but I also tend to be bit more cautious with my QB grades than most.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Really wished he could play with more of a pocket passing QB than Sam Ehlinger.  Ehlinger has improved as a passer this year, but he's still not doing his receiver any favors.  He's got good size if the 6'6", 220 is accurate and he plays up to that size.  Doesn't seem to shy away from contact.  Don't think there's much of a chance he declares especially that Ehlinger is only a sophomore, but there's upside there and a high enough floor.  I'd feel reasonably comfortable throwing a Day 2 pick at him if he tested reasonably well.

Thanks man!

On 10/10/2018 at 7:21 PM, Humble_Beast said:

Grade A-F depth of the following units... list studs please... I mean Day 1 or Day 2 picks

RB

WR

TE

DE

LB

S

RB class seems rather weak.  WR seems to have solid depth, maybe not the star power at the top.  TE seems solid, but nothing special.  It could be potentially one of the better EDGE class.  Not a huge fan of the LB class.  S class seems solid.

On 10/13/2018 at 12:53 PM, RaidersAreOne said:

Who's better coming out? Nick or Joey Bosa?

Both?  I hate to make it a cop out, but both were damn good prospects coming out of Ohio State.  Wish we would have been able to see more out of Nick Bosa this year, but don't blame him for pulling himself out of the program.  Both do a great job of converting speed into power, and there's little doubt in my mind he'll end up being a top 5 pick come April.

On 10/13/2018 at 6:53 PM, Gannon12 said:

Could Devin White break into the top ten of the draft?

Could he?  Sure.  Would I?  Probably not, but that goes back to the whole positional value.  Going back to 2000, we've had 10 off-ball LBs go in the top 10 pick, so it's not overly common.  But it's not rare either.

11 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Going back to 2000, we've had 10 off-ball LBs go in the top 10 pick, so it's not overly common.  

And only 3 of them were really good. Arrington, Urlacher, Kuechley. (Patrick Willis, Dan Morgan, Jonathan Vilma, Thomas Davis, and Derrick Johnson all went  between #11-#15)

On 10/14/2018 at 9:34 AM, MistaBohmbastic said:

Why is Kelvin Harmon *not* the best WR in this draft class (If he were to declare)? @CWood21

(I think that he is, and I'm having trouble finding flaws in his game)

The hands certainly scare me.  They're wildly inconsistent and he tends to body catch a bit more than I'd like to see out of my WRs.  Don't get me wrong, he's a good WR but there's a slew of WRs who are vying for a similar ranking but nobody really has taken off.  Don't think he's a bit threat over the top either, as he doesn't posses elite speed either.  He's good enough, and if defenses don't respect him he's going to hurt opposing defenses.  But he's not someone you're really concerned about taking the top off the defense.

On 10/15/2018 at 11:39 AM, ET80 said:

Greg Little or Jonah Williams?

I'd probably lean towards Jonah Williams, but there's an argument for both.  Starting with the obvious, they're both playing against high quality opponents in the SEC.  Jonah Williams has a bad habit over over-extending and ends up reaching for his defender.  That's not really a huge surprise when you're dealing with a more mobile QB, but that's not something you want to see out of your OT.  His hand usage is miserable.  He's usually late with his punch and it's underwhelming for a man his size.  Those are two mechanical flaws that you're going to change with him going from Alabama to the pros, but in terms of athleticism he has the tools you want to see out of your LT.  Greg Little on the other hand doesn't quite have that athleticism.  That's not to say that Little couldn't hold up as a tackle, he just is a notch below him in terms of athleticism.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2018 at 3:26 PM, NoDakViking said:

Who are some of the top IOL this year?

Could probably touch on quite a few, but I'll throw a few names out there.  Cody Ford [OG; Oklahoma], Michael Deitler [OG/OT; Wisconsin], Chase Lindstrom [OG; Boston College], Dalton Risner [C; Kansas State], etc.  Not a real strong class at the top, but an overall solid class.

Archived