CW21's 2019 NFL Draft Thread (Bring On Questions)

CWood21

On 10/18/2018 at 4:11 AM, freak_of_nature said:

Who do you think will be the better NFL players from the current Wisconsin OL?

I think they're all going to be solid players, I'd probably lean towards Jon Dietzen.  Although, I think you could make a strong argument for Michael Deiter as well.  Relative to their positions, I'd argue that Dietzen will be more valuable but Deiter will be better at their respective position.

On 10/19/2018 at 6:00 PM, freak_of_nature said:

And only 3 of them were really good. Arrington, Urlacher, Kuechley. (Patrick Willis, Dan Morgan, Jonathan Vilma, Thomas Davis, and Derrick Johnson all went  between #11-#15)

It only takes one team to fall in love with a player for them to go higher than expected.  Would it surprise me if an off-ball LB went in the top 10?  No.  Would I be that team?  No.

On 10/23/2018 at 1:48 PM, jebrick said:

I had someone point me to Rock Ya'Sin CB Temple and I am impressed with his ball skills.  No one really has he ranked anywhere so far.  Any thoughts?

Honestly, I haven't really dug too much into him.  If the ball skills are there, I'd almost be tempted to move him to safety given his frame.

On 10/29/2018 at 11:26 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

Who are your blue chip guys in this class? How many first round grades do you tentatively have? How are the WR and RB groups this year in your eyes?

Right now, it's just Nick Bosa and Ed Oliver.  I generally don't hand out that blue chip (Top 5) grade out very highly.  Prior to last year (I don't think I had a big board), I believe the only players I gave a Top 5 grade to were Myles Garrett (2017), Joey Bosa (2016), Laremy Tunsil (2016), Jalen Ramsey (2016), Jadeveon Clowney (2014), Greg Robinson (2014), and Khalil Mack (2014) in the past 5 years.  I don't usually hand out elite grades very often.  Way too early to see how many first round grades I have.

As for the WR and RBs, I see the RB as a bit weak.  Nobody really stands out as an elite back.  You're going to get some quality backs, but I don't see anyone on a similar level as Saquon Barkley, Leonard Fournette, or Ezekiel Elliott like we've had in recent years.  WR class as a whole seem strong.  More depth than the RB class IMO, but still doesn't really have an elite prospect.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Right now, it's just Nick Bosa and Ed Oliver.  I generally don't hand out that blue chip (Top 5) grade out very highly.  Prior to last year (I don't think I had a big board), I believe the only players I gave a Top 5 grade to were Myles Garrett (2017), Joey Bosa (2016), Laremy Tunsil (2016), Jalen Ramsey (2016), Jadeveon Clowney (2014), Greg Robinson (2014), and Khalil Mack (2014) in the past 5 years.  I don't usually hand out elite grades very often.  Way too early to see how many first round grades I have.

As for the WR and RBs, I see the RB as a bit weak.  Nobody really stands out as an elite back.  You're going to get some quality backs, but I don't see anyone on a similar level as Saquon Barkley, Leonard Fournette, or Ezekiel Elliott like we've had in recent years.  WR class as a whole seem strong.  More depth than the RB class IMO, but still doesn't really have an elite prospect.

Thoughts on quinnen williams and how he compares to Oliver?

On 10/30/2018 at 9:35 AM, MikeT14 said:

How have Thorsen / Stidham / Lock / Finley etc affected their draft stock so far into this year from last? (I think that's the list of guys that considered jumping last year). 

Nothing has really changed with Clayton Thorsen.  Still has good tools, but the production hasn't matched those tools.  I'd grab him if I were a team who didn't try and push things down the field offensively.  Give him a late Day 2, early Day 3 grade tentatively right now.  Not a fan of Jared Stidham, and the poor season is probably going to cost him.  Teams are desperate for QBs, but I would say his stock has gone in the wrong direction.  Lock probably has fallen a bit, but he's probably the second QB off the board depending on the underclassmen who declare.  Ryan Finley's stock probably hasn't seen his stock change much.

• 2 weeks later...

The Bengals have five big needs (RT, RG, TE, OLB, WR#2).  With the glut of defensive line prospects, they should have a strong list to choose from early.  <y question is which of those positionsa have the quickest and biggest drop offs in talent after round 2?  Or to put it another way, which positions should they draft early since they won't find anyone in rounds three or four to help?

On 11/12/2018 at 6:50 PM, SerenityNow said:

Is there any place that we can have access to film now that draftbreakdown shut down?

Youtube. A lot of the people that cut videos still post them there. You can also find a decent amount of condensed games that are only about 40 minutes with the commercials cut out. There are also full games if you're desperate enough 

On 11/11/2018 at 5:06 PM, ET80 said:

Thoughts?

He's a decent prospect, but nothing special.  Honestly, not sure he's all that much different than Jordan Howard.  He doesn't really offer enough 3rd down value to be an early pick, so you're probably talking about a Day 2 pick at the earliest.  His pass pro definitely is lacking, and he hasn't been utilized as a threat out of the backfield.  Doesn't have a ton of carries on his career, but overall I'm not sure he really has a ton of upside either.  If you're looking for a solid back, he's not a bad choice as a late Day 2, early Day 3 pick.  But I don't think he offers much upside.

On 11/12/2018 at 3:56 AM, MrOaktown_56 said:

Thoughts on quinnen williams and how he compares to Oliver?

As I mentioned in the Bosa thread, Williams has to play within the Alabama defensive scheme otherwise he's going to end up on the bench.  Saban doesn't allow much free lancing.  Part of the issue I have is this seems to be a bit of a case of prospect fatigue with regards to Oliver.  And we can't forget that Alabama is significantly more talented than Houston is, so Oliver is the focus of every team's offense.

On 11/12/2018 at 5:50 PM, SerenityNow said:

Is there any place that we can have access to film now that draftbreakdown shut down?

Your best bet is just to search on YouTube.  You'll find full game tapes on there, but if you search the prospect name you'll find something.

On 11/22/2018 at 1:58 PM, INbengalfan said:

The Bengals have five big needs (RT, RG, TE, OLB, WR#2).  With the glut of defensive line prospects, they should have a strong list to choose from early.  <y question is which of those positionsa have the quickest and biggest drop offs in talent after round 2?  Or to put it another way, which positions should they draft early since they won't find anyone in rounds three or four to help?

Given the fact that you can find quality OLBs and WRs later in the draft, I probably wouldn't be inclined to use an early pick on either of those positions.  OL tend to go early and often, OT in particular, so that'd probably be my focus for the Bengals if that's the direction they want to go.  TE seems to be a bit more devalued since TEs usually don't come out that are going to be projected to go high.

On 11/12/2018 at 10:28 PM, Ragnarok said:

Here's my question...why would I not consider Zach Allen with the packers 1st 1st rounder?

Honestly, I've been trying to see watch more of him.  The only tape I've seen of his was his game against Temple, and he abused the Temple OL over and over again.  The stats seem to indicate that's where most of his production came from, but he was a man amongst boys in that game.

Archived