Chicago Bears @ Denver Broncos Pre Season Week 2

blkwdw13

15 minutes ago, malagabears said:

He would come with a very high cost though. $$$$$

Plus this team isn’t in a position where Mack would make them contenders. I’m expecting them to be like the 2016 Eagles, where they flash hard at times but just haven’t put it all together enough to make a serious run.

1 hour ago, IronMike84 said:

Even the best teams have at least one lackluster position group. We were saying the same thing about WR last year.

Unfortunately this year he picked the second most important position in football to ignore. The name of the game is have a QB and hit the opposing QB. I can’t see the Bears doing any of the latter if Floyd is hurt again.

I think we all thought in April that Bears were going to be improved, but still below average.  Then you get excited and start raising expectations, but it still looks like original prognosis is accurate.  

No depth at outside pass rush or OT could be disastrous.  

6 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

There are plenty of players that get none or very little snaps each preseason and do a fine job once the regular season comes around.

There are also a lot of guys who miss time and have a damn rough start when they get plugged in. Several of those guys doing fine are entrenched veterans and guys who have been in a system they have been running for years. We have very veterans who need little work and a completely new system. The guys need to get their timing together at full speed. Especially with the massive turnover we have at WR.

The NFL has already taken a lot of the contact out of practices since the 2011 CBA, positions like OL MUST have full speed/full contact to progress. Otherwise you're setting your QBs up to get the hell beat out of them by ill-prepared lineman. Especially when starters go down and back ups step in.

13 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

There are plenty of players that get none or very little snaps each preseason and do a fine job once the regular season comes around.

How many of those guys are in their 2nd year with backgrounds and experience levels comparable to that of Adam Shaheen? Your point is understood and largely agreed with however that’s a situation that applies almost exclusively to seasoned vets not learning new offenses. 

23 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Done watching this game.

The good
*DL - All things considered, they played pretty well up front. Hicks was getting pressure and Bullard still contributing in the run game and eating up blockers in the pass game as he usually does.

oh, are you done watching the game now? because hicks didn't even play ya goober xD

15 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The Bears need to make a move for an OLB.

This group is bad.

You cannot just toss a season away because of 1 positon group.

Are you under the impression that teams heading into the season are looking to move their edge guys? At this point we’re looking at Willie Young or Lamarr Houston. I’m fine with either, but I think it’s foolish to expect a huge impact. And FWIW we were lacking in edge rushers last year too and still finished up with a top 10 defense and 7th overall in sacks. Saying that not making a move would be throwing a season away is more than a bit dramatic. 

14 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

Plus this team isn’t in a position where Mack would make them contenders. I’m expecting them to be like the 2016 Eagles, where they flash hard at times but just haven’t put it all together enough to make a serious run.

Exactly. You don't make a big move like this at the start of the season unless you're already a SB contender that is only missing a piece or two. And let's face it, we're not.

People need to lower their expectations and realize that not everything was going to be fixed in one off-season and also need to stop expecting to have a pro-bowler at every position. That's not how the NFL works.

The best way to approach our roster right now is to see where we're at this year and address the OLB position and other needs next season in the draft. As it stands, we're looking at around 41M in space with about  30M to play with after the yearly roll-over money(6-8M) and the rookie bank(5M - less as of now due losing our 2nd pick).

This is a perfect time to address issues like OLB, OL and CB. Goldman and Amos(barring a set-back from last year) is going to eat up alot of that space. Then you have players like RRH, Massie, Benny and Kush(been terrible this pre-season but good upside). 

11 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

AS87 is fine. are we dont freaking out and assuming the worst, or are we going to keep it up all season?

I'll keep trashing the preseason until the evening of 8/30 because it's a money grab and pointless, so no, I won't keep it up all season.

8 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I'll keep trashing the preseason until the evening of 8/30 because it's a money grab and pointless, so no, I won't keep it up all season.

If it wasn't for the preseason a ton of guys would never get a crack at an NFL roster and we would have lost out on seeing some players who went on to become stars.

55 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

If it wasn't for the preseason a ton of guys would never get a crack at an NFL roster and we would have lost out on seeing some players who went on to become stars.

Have one or two preseason games then. 45-47 of these roster spots are set already based on practice anyway.

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Have one or two preseason games then. 45-47 of these roster spots are set already based on practice anyway.

That's not true by any means. The NFL is not guaranteed. Every fringe player in the league(even those who are still signed) have to fight hard every year to keep their jobs.   

If it wasn't for the preseason, guys like the best WR in the league and future HoFer don't even get chance. AB was drafted to a team who were already flush with talent in Hines, Wallace, Sanders, Randle El, and Battle.

It was his strong showing in the preseason that convinced them to keep 6 WR's that year. If they would have let him go, I gaurentee he would have been signed by another team that same day(starting with the Bills who originally wanted to draft him but backed out). But neither party would have known anything about him at all if it wasn't for them preseason games. 

10 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

That's not true by any means. The NFL is not guaranteed. Every fringe player in the league(even those who are still signed) have to fight hard every year to keep their jobs.   

If it wasn't for the preseason, guys like the best WR in the league and future HoFer don't even get chance. AB was drafted to a team who were already flush with talent in Hines, Wallace, Sanders, Randle El, and Battle.

It was his strong showing in the preseason that convinced them to keep 6 WR's that year. If they would have let him go, I gaurentee he would have been signed by another team that same day(starting with the Bills who originally wanted to draft him but backed out). But neither party would have known anything about him at all if it wasn't for them preseason games. 

Yes, it is true. Brown was making the team; the only question was whether he was going to start at the 4th, 5th or 6th WR. These coaches and execs know 45-47 players who are making the team. The depth chart order and playing time remains to be seen, however, which is why the bottom 22-30 should be playing the vast majority if not all of the preseason games.

Archived