UDFA

Golfman

We've got a pretty long streak of undrafted free agent rookies making the roster. I am not certain of how many years in a row at least one made it, but it is several. Who are the undrafted free agents you think have a shot at the 53 man roster? Is this the year the streak ends? 

16 minutes ago, Joe said:

Looking like POSSIBLY Ahmad Thomas. Coaching staff loved him as a prospect and he's been fairly productive. Greer Martini is another.

That is also a position that makes sense where we need a body too. In fact, it almost appears logical that one of those guys would make it. We don't have enough depth at linebacker, especially inside linebacker. 

2 hours ago, Golfman said:

I think the streak is rookie undrafted free agents? Any have a shot in your opinion?

The Packers rookie UDFA seemed to be weaker this year and there was a report about that, because I guess half of the NFL teams (including the Vikings) offered a guaranteed portion of contract, or something like that. And those teams seemed to almost get first dibs on rookie UDFA options. I guess the Packers reportedly refuse to do that in any of their contracts... so it'll be interesting if they stick with that or if they start adjusting, if that trend continues. 

As for rookie UDFAs that have a chance to make the roster (IMO): QB Boyle, RB Bouagnon and ILB Martini. I think Martini has the best shot. There is also DL Sheehy and DL Lancaster but I don't think they're passing DL Looney, at least not from what little I've seen... (unless they prefer to have a back-up NT to a pass rusher).

Other UDFAs (non-rookies) that might have a shot at making their final first week 1, 53 man roster. OLB Gilbert, WR Kumerow, TE Tonyan, OG Pankey, ILB Thomas, lots of CBs competing for the 6th CB spot and maybe LS Triner.

That's a good recap, beast.  Yeah, lots of UDFA, but not THAT many freshman UDFA.  

At least, not yet.  Injury is often the doorway, as we're seeing with Ryan and ILB.  It's still not impossible that another door or two may open, even before the season. 

And when MM talks up the UDFA usage, some of that is in terms of opening roster.  But some too include guys who make the practice squad originally, and get called up later as injury replacements.  Hopefully there will be little occasion this season.  

11 hours ago, Beast said:

The Packers rookie UDFA seemed to be weaker this year and there was a report about that, because I guess half of the NFL teams (including the Vikings) offered a guaranteed portion of contract, or something like that. And those teams seemed to almost get first dibs on rookie UDFA options. I guess the Packers reportedly refuse to do that in any of their contracts... so it'll be interesting if they stick with that or if they start adjusting, if that trend continues. 

As for rookie UDFAs that have a chance to make the roster (IMO): QB Boyle, RB Bouagnon and ILB Martini. I think Martini has the best shot. There is also DL Sheehy and DL Lancaster but I don't think they're passing DL Looney, at least not from what little I've seen... (unless they prefer to have a back-up NT to a pass rusher).

Other UDFAs (non-rookies) that might have a shot at making their final first week 1, 53 man roster. OLB Gilbert, WR Kumerow, TE Tonyan, OG Pankey, ILB Thomas, lots of CBs competing for the 6th CB spot and maybe LS Triner.

I am rooting for Sheehy only because he is my sister's nephew.  I doubt he'll make the final roster but perhaps he'll be on the PS.  *fingers crossed*

5 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

The one addition I'd make to the excellent list  by  @Beast is DT Mbu, as a backup NT to Clark. Not the most likely addition with so much pressure to keep 26 guys on offense this year (7 WRs, 3 QBs, 7 RB/FB/TE, 9 OL), but possible.

Yes, I kept adding one guy more to that list, but looks like I stopped one short, Mbu does need to be put on that list too, though I feel like he might have the least pass rusher potential, but if they're looking for a true NT back-up then he could stay. Also I could be wrong about the DL, as I haven't been watching it as closely as normal with the top 5 pretty clear.

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

I am rooting for Sheehy only because he is my sister's nephew.  I doubt he'll make the final roster but perhaps he'll be on the PS.  *fingers crossed*

Good luck to him, I know a lot of people root for the Wisconsin guys. I also doubt he'll make the 53 in week 1 this year but he's in the running for PS. The last three DL, it almost might depend on what type you want more, NT, DT or 3-4 DE body style and potential.

17 hours ago, Beast said:

Gilbert is soooo making this roster. I also forgot about Tonyan for some reason. He played quite well the other night and he's a big target.

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

Gilbert is soooo making this roster. I also forgot about Tonyan for some reason. He played quite well the other night and he's a big target.

That's why I had Gilbert listed first. The rest were just sorta in line of how I have my position board set up.

I think Tonyan is battling the WRs and as far as straight up, I think he's behind the WRs, so that hurts him. Though I also think he has some things in his favor, such as Graham is basically a huge WR, so an extra TE might make the roster more well rounded and the Packers like TE/LB bodies for a number of things on STs. But right now I have 7th WRs over 4th TE.

Archived