Better Player? Von Miller or Khalil Mack

mdonnelly21

56 members have voted

1. 1. Better Player

• Von Miller
    • Khalil Mack

Oh god. I'm going to refrain from putting one player down here to uplift the other. Lets just say both.

I just want Mack to have better corners and an interior rush because I wanna really see him rack up some sack numbers this year.

For what it's worth, I think they're the consensus two best edge guys in the league and I'd like to hear a good argument why they aren't.

Von Miller easily.  He almost single-handedly won the SB for the Broncos and turned Cam Newton into a coward on the field.  Mack has never taken over a game like that, much less had a season like Miller’s 2015.  Sure he’s had some good games when they didn’t matter but he’s gonna have to show something more than what I’ve seen to be anywhere near Von Miller’s level.

9 hours ago, megatechpc said:

Von Miller easily.  He almost single-handedly won the SB for the Broncos and turned Cam Newton into a coward on the field.  Mack has never taken over a game like that, much less had a season like Miller’s 2015.  Sure he’s had some good games when they didn’t matter but he’s gonna have to show something more than what I’ve seen to be anywhere near Von Miller’s level.

Has never has taken over a game like that? He had 5 sacks against the Broncos in one game, same year they won the Super Bowl. He single handedly won that game because the rest of our team was total trash. 

Mack is a more complete and better overall player than Von. Although Von is a better pure pass rusher. 

10 hours ago, megatechpc said:

?  I love Miller, but this is silly.  Mack won several games for us when we went 12-4 two years ago.  Against the Panthers he had an INT/TD and then strip sacked Cam Newton on the last play to win the game.  He has sacks several times on drives that would have beat us if the other team scored.  

I’m fine with you picking Miller as he is an amazing player, but don’t spit out BS to fit your argument.  You haven’t watched Mack play if that’s your take on him.  

That being said I would pick Miller right now based on contract situation, but Mack going forward as the younger player.

9 hours ago, daineraider said:

?  I love Miller, but this is silly.  Mack won several games for us when we went 12-4 two years ago.  Against the Panthers he had an INT/TD and then strip sacked Cam Newton on the last play to win the game.  He has sacks several times on drives that would have beat us if the other team scored.  

I’m fine with you picking Miller as he is an amazing player, but don’t spit out BS to fit your argument.  You haven’t watched Mack play if that’s your take on him.  

That being said I would pick Miller right now based on contract situation, but Mack going forward as the younger player.

I admit that I haven't seen a ton of Mack (other than the talking heads gushing over him like he's LT) but I did watch him closely in 2016 when my Falcons beat the Raiders 35-28.  Mack was basically invisible in that game.  The Falcons also played the Broncos a few weeks later that year and Von Miller at least got a sack on Ryan.  So you are right in that I have a fairly incomplete view of both players, but I did see the 2015 SB in which Miller basically dominated the entire game and had Cam Newton running for his life and not even trying to recover his own fumble out of fear of Miller.  Until Mack has a game that actually matters where he shows out like Miller did the entire 2015 post-season, I can't rank him anywhere near Miller's level (his only playoff game ever was a 27-14 beat-down by a Brock Osweiler-led Texans teams in which he had, wait for it, ZERO sacks and was mostly a non-factor).

1 hour ago, megatechpc said:

I admit that I haven't seen a ton of Mack (other than the talking heads gushing over him like he's LT) but I did watch him closely in 2016 when my Falcons beat the Raiders 35-28.  Mack was basically invisible in that game.  The Falcons also played the Broncos a few weeks later that year and Von Miller at least got a sack on Ryan.  So you are right in that I have a fairly incomplete view of both players, but I did see the 2015 SB in which Miller basically dominated the entire game and had Cam Newton running for his life and not even trying to recover his own fumble out of fear of Miller.  Until Mack has a game that actually matters where he shows out like Miller did the entire 2015 post-season, I can't rank him anywhere near Miller's level (his only playoff game ever was a 27-14 beat-down by a Brock Osweiler-led Texans teams in which he had, wait for it, ZERO sacks and was mostly a non-factor).

11 tackles with 2 TFL is a non-factor as a DE?  Connor Cook throwing 3 picks and not being good at all was the factor in us being beaten up in that game.

5 hours ago, megatechpc said:

So you watched a game against your team where Mack wasn't at his best. Then you saw one with Von Miller where he played well.

Then you saw the superbowl, where Von had a really good game. 

Based on this, your conclusion is "von easy, he's gonna have to do something to show that he's on von's level".

You realize that Mack was the most productive pass rusher in the NFL on a pressure basis that year and leads the NFL in pressures over the last 3 years? But you'd "easily" take Mack over Von, not taking into account how bad our defense is and how much a bad secondary impacts a pass rusher's ability to get home?

I have no problem with someone taking Von over Mack, but you saying it's not close means you not only don't know what you're talking about. Do you want to show me any metric that backs this up? Run stops? Pressures? Anything? I'll wait.

Mack hasn't done anything in the postseason because this team hasn't been in the postseason. Do you blame Joe Thomas for not showing out on the playoffs because he's on the Browns? Why blame Mack for his team's lack of success. Another casual fan's argument. You're looking at flashy narratives and things that don't involve the actual player in question. I don't need to debate this any further to see through your argument. 

Also, Von "single handedly winning the superbowl" is the biggest joke I've ever heard. That defense had Demarcus Ware, Malik Jackson, Chris Harris Jr., Aqib Talib, to name a few. Hell, TJ Ward and Brandon Marshall were pro bowl alternates that year. I can't name a single below average player on that defense. They lead the NFL in sacks. That's an all-time great defense. You don't "carry" that defense. The linebackers, back end, and rush all do their job exceptionally well. That's not taking away from Von. He's great. But saying he "single handedly won the bowl" is another casual fan argument. 

You know those talking heads who are gushing over Khalil Mack? Maybe they actually watch more than 2 of his games. Like Joe Thomas, you know? The one who compared him to LT...

In before incoming backpedaling.

Archived