Broncos vs Bears preseason gameday

germ-x

55 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I’ll tell ya what, machine gun Kelly is the real deal. Color me impressed. I like him better than Case.

Maybe Sandy Clough will finally give him a break and stop talking about signing some never-was veteran.

I’ll post more tomorrow.  I wasn’t able to watch the 1st game, but DeMarcus Walker has looked pretty impressive in that inside pass rush role (which is what he was drafted for). That’d be big for Denver if he’s able to fill that in the regular season.  Very explosive shooting gaps or 1vs1 and has some rush moves as well.

He’s played most of the game and even in these later stages the Bears have respected his ability and he’s double teamed almost every snap.

Oh, dear. Sandy Clough must have a drug or alcohol problem.

I just started listening to hour one of his Fan Football Postgame from last night, and he is still talking like the Broncos should bring in a veteran. He mentioned Chase Daniel's name, for crying out loud. If Denver brings in Daniel, they are crazy.

I don't think Clough really likes Kelly. At the end of last year, people would ask him about Chad, and he would say that he isn't going to play, or he was just drafted as a favor to Jim Kelly.

1 hour ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

I just started listening to hour one of his Fan Football Postgame from last night, and he is still talking like the Broncos should bring in a veteran. He mentioned Chase Daniel's name, for crying out loud. If Denver brings in Daniel, they are crazy.

I don't think Clough really likes Kelly. At the end of last year, people would ask him about Chad, and he would say that he isn't going to play, or he was just drafted as a favor to Jim Kelly.

I realize kelly's been going against two's and three's but his numbers through two games (21-30, 267yds, 3TD, 1 INT) are quite good and he's improving weekly. He seems like he's got a bit of Jim McMahon in him.

I like him. 

The #1 concern for me without any doubt on this team right now is our #3 CB. Yiadom seemed to be in good position a lot, but like most rookies, he doesn't have the confidence to turn for the football in fear of getting burned for a TD.

From what I've seen, Yiadom is miles off being ready. That basically leaves us with Brock who's far from excelled in the league to date. I've no clue why we didn't bring in Kayvon Webster before camp. He could've played outside in our Nickel with Chris Harris moving inside. Kayvon might not be Aqib Talib but he's a serviceable CB that has the physical traits to play outside. However, I fear that he will get a decent deal off teams now camp has started and teams begin to worry about their roster (plus injuries, of course).

I think our 1st team Defence's poor performance against the run in week 1 stood us in good stead to focus on that this week, and you could see the increase in the physicality upfront. Annoyingly, the gamepass stream I was re-watching the game on didn't have a 10/15 second rewind option, so I couldn't really focus on any individuals.

On the whole on Defence - I fear that teams are going to basically 'Patriot us' this year, i.e tons of quick screens, quick hitting hitches, etc to really pick on our CB depth and negate our pass rush (the Bears did a ton of this, although I think that is more just a reflection of their scheme in general). We don't really have the CB's to play bump and run which disrupts the timing of the short passing game, so we're going to have to play really technically sound Defence to be as good as we were even last year.

9 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

I will hear no Sandy Clough slander on this website. 

Its so insane that a QB as physically gifted as Kelly could fall to Mr Irrelevant. The kid has true blue chip talent. His arm is phenomenal, he is mobile, passionate, risk taking but also smart. I don't know if this is just another case of the 'late round QB overhype', it may be, but right now the kid has me hopeful for the future. He has looked better in these past two games than Lynch has ever looked.

Case was throwing high way too much for my liking. Hopefully nerves, but possible that he was just trying too hard not to make a mistake by throwing only where his WR can get it. That's good at times, but you have to thread the needle too and make those risky 'right in the breadbasket' passes too in this league.

Royce is going to be a really nice RB. I think he is talented enough in the pass game to be a 3 down back, but hopefully that's not necessary as IMO rotating backs is the way to go unless you have a Zeke' or Gurley level talent. His size/speed ratio is something special. Lindsay looks great too. He is making this team. I would have no issue if we cut Booker. He just isn't a runner in this league. Kid should have been moved to H-Back or slot WR after his rookie year, when he made it clear he cant run with consistency.

The defense isn't as talented as we like to think. I see a squad around 10-12. CB3 will be an issue all season. Yiadom has talent but isn't ready, Brock is a low tier 3CB at best and after that we have nothing. Langley isn't a NFL talent. As for the DL, nice to see Walker as a pass rusher inside. That's his fit in this league, just don't see him ever being stout enough to play 34DE. He is a rushing UT through-and-through. We better get creative to get him snaps in that role too, he was a R2 pick and we need return on that investment. Wolfe and Gotsis are looking like straight run stuffers at 34DE with little to offer in pass rush. Gotsis is such a physical talent, its too bad he cant develop as a rusher. Looks like a 2 down run stopping 34De which is a bad return for a R2 pick, those types of guys are easy to find.

The WR corps looks really nice. Sutton was my WR1 coming out of the draft and showed that deep ball, long striding ability Saturday. He has great technique too. Going to be a hell of a player. Heuerman played like his college scouting report indicated, faster than you think and tough. Would love to see him be a late bloomer. The starting OL looked passable. We wont be elite, but middle of the road isn't off the table. Hate our depth though, especially at OT. Wish we had someone to give us hope for the future at RT, Veldeheer is a one-year play only, but he maybe the best RT we have had in years. Which says a lot because he isn't great.

I still don't see a playoff team based on talent overall. Most exciting thing about this season is Kelly. I cant hope for Case to fail or get injured, but if Kelly finds a way into a regular season game it will make me lean towards the TV a bit more than normal.

What do you guys think about Kelly's release? It seems like it takes him a ton of effort to sling the ball. The results have been great so far, but I was pretty surprised by how his release looks. I agree with @BroncosFan2010 that he has been the most interesting story line so far outside of maybe Sutton 

Archived