Broncos vs Bears preseason gameday

germ-x

Pretty much as advertised - high motor good technique - not a massive disruptor on his own as a pass rusher.   The sack / safety was a result of a botched snap.

Which is exactly why he wasn't worth the draft position. You don't target high motor, non-elite burst pass rushers top 5. He wont wash out of this league or anything, but if he has a Tamba Hali type career, I will be estatic. Much less a Suggs like career as jstomp2007 outlined.

I don't think he needs to be the alpha, does he?  If he etched out a Terrell Suggs type of career, that would be okay with  me.  

lol. Your definitely selling Suggs short here. Chubb hitting Suggs territory would be amazing. Very unlikely to happen though. Suggs is arguable a HOF tier player. His longevity for a pass rusher, while retaining Pro Bowl caliber play, is just amazing. 11 sacks and 4 FF at 34 last season. I would be the house that Chubb doesn't hit those numbers in his prime.

29 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I don't think he needs to be the alpha, does he?  If he etched out a Terrell Suggs type of career, that would be okay with  me.  

I think we can all agree that Von is that alpha role being discussed. Obviously having a Von clone would be insanely great - but hopefully having them on the same line will elevate Chubb's potential and allow him to reach that 10 sack arbitrary level for some time as they play together. 

Oh yeah, and sign me up for a Suggs type of career (not me personally, but for Chubb). 

1 hour ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Which is exactly why he wasn't worth the draft position. You don't target high motor, non-elite burst pass rushers top 5. He wont wash out of this league or anything, but if he has a Tamba Hali type career, I will be estatic. Much less a Suggs like career as jstomp2007 outlined.

lol. Your definitely selling Suggs short here. Chubb hitting Suggs territory would be amazing. Very unlikely to happen though. Suggs is arguable a HOF tier player. His longevity for a pass rusher, while retaining Pro Bowl caliber play, is just amazing. 11 sacks and 4 FF at 34 last season. I would be the house that Chubb doesn't hit those numbers in his prime.

Why?  Chubb was a top 5 pick? He should be hitting HOF type numbers.  

22 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

He doesn't have that talent as a pass rusher. Like @Broncofan said, a guy like Myles Garrett is just way better. Chubb doesn't have the wiggle as a rusher that, like, Joey Bosa or Von have

Exactly, and for that reason he was a reach. He isn't close to a HOF caliber talent. He was a safe pick, high motor with good athleticism for his strength but underwhelming burst overall, especially regarding that 'wiggle' that champ11 mentioned. He is going to be a really good player, but he isn't someone that will be so disruptive that the other team has to sit down Saturday at the team meeting and literally gameplan to stop him or play away from him. I personally don't take a pass rusher Top-5 unless its near guaranteed that opposing teams will be switching their schemes up to account for him. That's Von, Garrett, Bosa, and I would argue Clowney and Beasley as well.

5 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Exactly, and for that reason he was a reach. He isn't close to a HOF caliber talent. He was a safe pick, high motor with good athleticism for his strength but underwhelming burst overall, especially regarding that 'wiggle' that champ11 mentioned. He is going to be a really good player, but he isn't someone that will be so disruptive that the other team has to sit down Saturday at the team meeting and literally gameplan to stop him or play away from him. I personally don't take a pass rusher Top-5 unless its near guaranteed that opposing teams will be switching their schemes up to account for him. That's Von, Garrett, Bosa, and I would argue Clowney and Beasley as well.

And, you can determine this after two preseason games?  Sh***t dude, wtf are you doing? Go be a NFL scout or something.  

2 minutes ago, champ11 said:

you can tell from the college tape 

Huh...so, all the other pundits saying he was the best defensive player in the draft were wrong...okay...the tape they were watching was wrong I guess.  I won't be wasting my time watching the draft next year...good to know.  

7 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Huh...so, all the other pundits saying he was the best defensive player in the draft were wrong...okay...the tape they were watching was wrong I guess.  I won't be wasting my time watching the draft next year...good to know.  

Being the best defensive player in the draft doesn't mean he's going to be a great pass rusher. Most of what I saw was people raving about his effort/strength/technique as opposed to speed rushing etc. I think he has a super high floor and is going to be a good starter (that's super valuable!) but I don't think he's a lock at all to get to double digit sacks. He can definitely develop and get better, but I don't see the elite speed and get off tools that the pass rushers we've mentioned have. 

Chubb is a beast.  Easily worth #5 overall.  He may lack some of the burst as other elite pass rushers, but it isn’t like he’s stuck in mud.  He’s an excellent athlete for a 270 pounder.  He’s also arguably the best run defending DE to enter the draft in years.

It’s been mentioned that Denver’s defense lacks the “dogs” to be as good as they have been in the past.  Chubb is a “dog” relentless, physical, and brings that attitude everyday.  

And, you can determine this after two preseason games?  Sh***t dude, wtf are you doing? Go be a NFL scout or something.  

No the preseason games have not impacted my prior evaluation of him. Based on his college tape I simply don't see a guy that's going to disrupt the passer enough at the NFL level to justify his draft position. Just IMO. That's the evaluation I had before we drafted him and I wont change it just because he is one of our guys now.

Then again, I like to couch scout as a passive hobby and don't even watch near as much film as I usta so who knows, its all just for fun. But I gotta stick to my eval and be proven wrong not just wear Bronco tinted glasses since we drafted him.

1 hour ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

No the preseason games have not impacted my prior evaluation of him. Based on his college tape I simply don't see a guy that's going to disrupt the passer enough at the NFL level to justify his draft position. Just IMO. That's the evaluation I had before we drafted him and I wont change it just because he is one of our guys now.

Then again, I like to couch scout as a passive hobby and don't even watch near as much film as I usta so who knows, its all just for fun. But I gotta stick to my eval and be proven wrong not just wear Bronco tinted glasses since we drafted him.

Personally I think he'll be in a lot of pro bowls before he's done.  With his rare physical ability, size and most importantly, non-stop motor and desire he'll be a game changer for us.

Archived