MookieMonstah

Swinging by Kansas City

Hello my Kansas City brotherin,

My brother and I are going on a cross country road trip to get all his stuff to Travis Air Force base in California and Kansas City is one of our stops. We’re here for two days.

Looking for some good suggestions in food / entertainment!

Food: Any BBQ outlet in town - if you want to start a war just ask which one's best.

Entertainment: Power and Light District in the old downtown. I like Howl at the Moon. Alternative: Country Plaza. Lots of shops, bars and restaurants.

If you like the younger folks consider Lansing with billions of KU students. History leads you to Leavenworth, or the Arabia Steam Boat Museum.

Arts: Nelson Atkins Museum of Art is just great and free.

Give me some of your guys top BBQ spots, bring the war on. Winner gets the glory of knowing I brought my Boston accent into their famed BBQ establishment.

Jack Stack Barbeque

Gates BBQ

Joes Kansas City BBQ

Arthur Bryant’s 

Q39

Cant really go wrong with any of them,  Q39 and Jack Stack are tops for me.

If you’re traveling down I-35, Guy and Mae’s Tavern in Williamsburg.  Best ribs you will ever have.

Power and Light and the Legends are probably your best options at entertainment.   Not sure if you like College Basketball, but the College Basketball experience is pretty fun.

Just stay away from Westport.

There's some good suggestions already posted. What kind of stuff are you looking for and what days of the week? Are you looking for a college crowd or older?

42 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

There's some good suggestions already posted. What kind of stuff are you looking for and what days of the week? Are you looking for a college crowd or older?

College crowd

@MookieMonstah

All of the BBQ places that @samsel23 mentioned are good. I've heard great things about Slaps BBQ but I haven't tried it yet myself. If I were you, I'd go to Joes KC, formerly Oklahoma Joes, and get the Z-Man which they're probably most well known for. Really though, you can hit up anywhere samsel mentioned and leave fat and happy.

If you're here on the weekend I suggest going to the Power and Light District in downtown. Saturday is the busiest night of the week and Friday's can be hit or miss this time of year. When the Spring Center has events, the area can be quite packed. My favorite nights to go out are when there's a country show at Sprint or P&L, mostly for the scenery. If you want to go to Westport I would go earlier in the night. I'd probably go to Ale House. Most KC bars are open until 3am, but Ale House closes at 1:30am on weekends.

During the week and weekend, I'd check out the Plaza area. It's at the higher end of college age and may be more of the 25-35 age group. I recommend Granfalloon. There's plenty of bars and restaurants but that's where I end up the rare times that I go out to the plaza.

I can't comment on Legends since I've never gone out there for night life. There's an outlet mall there though and some big stores if you're into that. It's not the best shopping area that I've been to, but it holds its own fairly well.

If you're into tourist or museum type stuff, I'd check out the only World War 1 Monument in the country, the Nelson Atkins Museum of Art, take a tour of the Boulevard Brewery, or catch a Chiefs or Royals game.

If you're into live music, comedians, etc. maybe try catching a show at the Sprint Center, the Midland, the Truman, the Uptown, or Crossroads (outdoors). There are smaller venues but I think those are the major ones unless you're looking for artists that are underground or not very well known.

Edited by kingseanjohn
format

5 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

College crowd

@kingseanjohn mentioned some great things!  Power and Light is a definite, hopefully there is a concert going on, you don’t even have to attend, it’s just a great area, with plenty of bars.

Legends is pretty good, it’s a blast if a Sporting Game is going on, it’s a little dead if there isn’t a game though.

Westport can be fun, great bars and plenty of people.  I’d leave before 11 and head to P&L if you do venture here,  last year or so it draws some pretty sketchy crowds late at night.

2 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

@MookieMonstah What did you end up doing?

WW1 museum, boulevard brewery tour and jack stacks BBQ which was DELICIOUS. 

Really cool city, wish I had more time there to check it out. My hotel was literally right across the street from the Chiefs/Royals, very beautiful stadium/arena. 

Sounds like a fun trip, Glad you enjoyed yourself!  

Excellent choice on Jack Stack ?. Might have to go pick me some up this weekend

4 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

Sounds like a fun trip, Glad you enjoyed yourself!  

Excellent choice on Jack Stack ?. Might have to go pick me some up this weekend

Got the dinner that had the Rib eye, ribs and burnt ends. Sooooo dang good.