Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jetfuel34

Teddy Bridgewater

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I think waiting would help him tremendously. 

I'm pretty sure Bridgewater has outplayed Darnold too.

How does waiting help him. I really would like to know. How does not playing and getting first team reps benefit him going into year 2? What is he learning by sitting and watching? I hear this argument all the time but I never hear how it actually benefits him and there is zero evidence to support siting a rookie. Financially it actually makes very little sense as well. Not to mention, if Bridgewater has outplayed Darnold, its not be much at all. Darnold is ready to play. It does nothing for him to hold him back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ekill08x said:

How does waiting help him. I really would like to know. How does not playing and getting first team reps benefit him going into year 2? What is he learning by sitting and watching? I hear this argument all the time but I never hear how it actually benefits him and there is zero evidence to support siting a rookie. Financially it actually makes very little sense as well. Not to mention, if Bridgewater has outplayed Darnold, its not be much at all. Darnold is ready to play. It does nothing for him to hold him back. 

Read up on articles regarding Aaron Rodgers and what sitting did for him. I think you might gain a new perspective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Read up on articles regarding Aaron Rodgers and what sitting did for him. I think you might gain a new perspective.

They had a HOF QB ahead of him for starters. We have no one worth talking about. Totally different situation. We are in a rebuild, GB wasn’t. We invested a lot more into Darnold than GB did with Rodgers (we traded the 6tg pick and 3 2nd Rounders to get him).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Read up on articles regarding Aaron Rodgers and what sitting did for him. I think you might gain a new perspective.

There are examples both ways.  Such a dumb thing to argue one way or that other.  Guys have been great starting day 1 and great sitting and vice versa.

Trying to argue one way or the other is pointless.

Darnold is ready so you start him, discussion over.  Darnold has the playbook down, has shown a veteran like patience with pressure in his face, and has a good understanding of NFL defenses enough to set protections.  Jets will be better next year by Darnold playing without question.  You learn by playing not by sitting.  He has played just as well as Teddy in PS, has a higher upside, and is the QBOTF.  I get the love for Teddy you have has a Vikings fan but fact is he's pretty mediocre and has no future here, we are all in on Darnold.  

Only reason to sit a young QB is if they are not ready to understand the NFL defenses and set protections and/or still need to command the huddle.  Darnold can do both so he's going to start.   

Edited by Rockice_8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Read up on articles regarding Aaron Rodgers and what sitting did for him. I think you might gain a new perspective.

One guy and you bring up the obvious one. Not to mention his first season as starter they went 5-11. If all you have is one player benefiting and that even being argumentative it still makes no sense sitting a rookie who is ready. No benefit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

One guy and you bring up the obvious one. Not to mention his first season as starter they went 5-11. If all you have is one player benefiting and that even being argumentative it still makes no sense sitting a rookie who is ready. No benefit. 

He's one example. I imagine sitting benefitted Brady and Romo too.

I have to imagine starting right away ended up being very detrimental to Carr and Harrington.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

He's one example. I imagine sitting benefitted Brady and Romo too.

I have to imagine starting right away ended up being very detrimental to Carr and Harrington.

I’m guessing here... so let me know if I’m wrong. But I assume you’re a big Teddy fan. And you just want him to start. And for a bunch of teams he probably should and could. But for this franchise it makes no sense. What does starting Teddy do to help this team? Nothing is the answer. Darnold looks just as poised and under control as Teddy in all of practice and games. He’s just as ready as Teddy is after missing 2 whole seasons. And a big point I believe you’re overlooking as a Teddy fan. Is Darnold is our future. Teddy is not. Teddy has 0 future here. Darnold is the guy. He’s looked ready, therefor I say there’s a 90% chance he’s the starter for us all season if healthy. Teddy will be offloaded soon as a good trade offer is brought in to us. I appreciate your fandom for Teddy bc I really like the guy. Just his place here is now pretty pointless. Remember he was signed before we traded up to 3 and drafted a QB. He was an option in case we got someone more raw like Allen or something. Darnold fell to us and we were beyond happy to get him. Teddy has played well and will give us a decent return for a team soon enough. But him starting seems like a long shot with Darnolds play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It’s going to hopefully be a win win. We gave Teddy the opportunity to show he is ready. Hopefully we get a decent pick for him. 

Starting as a rookie is a case by case thing. I’m actually surprised Darnold seems ready considering he has hardly played QB. Before the draft, I thought he was the least nfl ready QB of the big 4. We heard the negative news about his hesitation on the white board, etc. Im glad he has proven me wrong. Shows how much this keyboard GM knows.

Edited by SDotNova

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I’m guessing here... so let me know if I’m wrong. But I assume you’re a big Teddy fan. And you just want him to start. And for a bunch of teams he probably should and could. But for this franchise it makes no sense. What does starting Teddy do to help this team? Nothing is the answer. Darnold looks just as poised and under control as Teddy in all of practice and games. He’s just as ready as Teddy is after missing 2 whole seasons. And a big point I believe you’re overlooking as a Teddy fan. Is Darnold is our future. Teddy is not. Teddy has 0 future here. Darnold is the guy. He’s looked ready, therefor I say there’s a 90% chance he’s the starter for us all season if healthy. Teddy will be offloaded soon as a good trade offer is brought in to us. I appreciate your fandom for Teddy bc I really like the guy. Just his place here is now pretty pointless. Remember he was signed before we traded up to 3 and drafted a QB. He was an option in case we got someone more raw like Allen or something. Darnold fell to us and we were beyond happy to get him. Teddy has played well and will give us a decent return for a team soon enough. But him starting seems like a long shot with Darnolds play. 

I think he's your best option for this season, but I understand all of that. I hope Darnold works out for you guys and has a real good season, except on 10/21/18.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2018 at 9:11 AM, barnaby8787 said:

Personally, i'm trading Teddy to the Jags for Fowler and i'm not thinking twice.  Our pass rush is pathetic. 

Same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Same.

Ideally that would be great but Jax has 26m invested in Bortles and they have Cody Kessler as his backup.

Some might disagree but I think Kessler can be a solid QB, at least as a backup/sometime starter. I think Cleveland mishandled their QB situation last year. In 2016 Kessler was a decent game manager for a terrible team. I am not close to the situation but last year it seemed they just forced Kizer into the starting role and gave up on Kessler despite his 92.3 passer rating in 8 games from the year before. This year they let both go but it was probably more about the new GM wanting his guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

He's one example. I imagine sitting benefitted Brady and Romo too.

I have to imagine starting right away ended up being very detrimental to Carr and Harrington.

Dude once again there are plenty of examples both ways stop picking a choosing to support your argument.  Darnold is starting here and Teddy is not.  Guess Manning throwing a ton of picks as a rookie didn't help him develop right?  Maybe if they sat him a year he would have been better.  Guess Elway sucking as a rookie and Wentz sucking as a rookie didn't help their development at all.  

Again unless the QB clearly isn't ready to read defenses or command the huddle that is the only reason not to start them.  Once they can do that efficiently then they are ready enough to play and learn from their mistakes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Need to make a move on a pass rusher, obv I’d love to add Mack/Fowler but I don’t think either is realistic atm. Guys I’m looking via trade or them getting cut would be:

Shaq Barrett

Shane Ray

Nate Orchard

Zadarius Smith

John Simon

Michael Johnson

Shaq Lawson

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Simon will stay with Colts. 

 

Back to Teddy topic.  I think he will be our starter with McCown backing him up. You know how is Bowles.  At 0-0, you expect to win games now not wait until next year to showchase their winnable talents.  I know it is easy call when you think the former top 5 draftee can play in NFL you play him but Bridgewater has NFL experience and plays well. Unless Jets find a trade partner it doesn't make any sense to start Darnold over Bridgewater.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, JetsandI said:

I think Simon will stay with Colts. 

 

Back to Teddy topic.  I think he will be our starter with McCown backing him up. You know how is Bowles.  At 0-0, you expect to win games now not wait until next year to showchase their winnable talents.  I know it is easy call when you think the former top 5 draftee can play in NFL you play him but Bridgewater has NFL experience and plays well. Unless Jets find a trade partner it doesn't make any sense to start Darnold over Bridgewater.

 

 

From a financial standpoint, if you start playing Teddy and he starts meeting some of the goals in his contract, his salary increases up to a possible 15m.

Teddy has no future here.

I understand every team starts the season thinking they are going to make the playoffs so I can see that Bowles could feel that Teddy gives him a better chance to win this year.  However, imo, it’s more likely that we will struggle to get points regardless of the QB, Bowles would be more likely to be fired if he has the number 3 pick sitting on the bench with a clipboard. Starting Darnold gives him a sort of grace period. He will be able to justify a poor record because he started a rookie QB and was building for the future.

Lastly, I think Darnold is ready to start. He has shown the poise and ability required of an NFL starter. What he’s lacking is the experience. I’m sure he’ll have some rough patches but as long as he learns from his mistakes and the organization supports him, he should be fine in the long run.

Edited by Rich51

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×