Teddy Bridgewater

jetfuel34

12 hours ago, Akomplice said:

Well if I would've told you that we bought a third rounder for 500K you would laugh.

Jets did a good job of allowing Bridgewater showcasing himself to let teams become interested in him. If Darnold didn't look the part, he would've gotten starts to showcase himself even more. All sides won on this deal. Saints got their potential long term starter after Brees retires for a third, Jets recouped some of the assets they traded to get Darnold who showed he's ready to start and Bridgewater lands in a nice spot for him potentially long term.

But that is the problem. The jets did not buy a third round pick for 500K. They moved up from probably top 1/3 of the 6 round to the bottom of the 3rd. They moved up about a 2 and 1/3 rounds. I'm not happy with the trade or mad. I just think we could have done better. I would have waited at least until week 3 before I made the trade with the Saints. That deal would still be on the table by week 3 because Brees would not get hurt and they knew they had bums behind him. 

1 hour ago, xenajets said:

He’s not played in over two years though so realistically it’s a good trade. Like most on here have said it suits all parties. 

Sure it is a great deal for the Saints, because Dree Brees, is pushing 40 years old. What has Mac ever done with his third round picks, that's right nothing. We have all our eggs in one basket now, and that is the FA market. And nothing is guaranteed.

I just don't understand why we HAD to do this right now. I get it, they really really really like Sam Darnold and believe in him. And some people outside of the organization are singing his praises as well. So, all signs point to Darnold being the real deal. To all of that, I say so what? We're the Jets. Nothing comes easily for this organization. Absolutely. When you think we are about to turn a corner, we usually fall flat on our collective faces.

Why couldn't we start 2018 with Bridgewater backing up Darnold, with McCown around as the mentor/inactive third qb? What was wrong with that scenario? It's not like Bridgewater is under contract beyond this season. He was a goner for sure at some point between now and the off-season anyway. So why RIGHT NOW? Because even if we are 95% sure that Darnold is the man, that 5% matters more for us than other organizations. Because we have a history of not making the right choice, or of screwing things up with the right choice. Would the market have dried up completely between now and the trading deadline? It depends on the injury factor. But are we really thinking NO NFL team was going to become desperate after losing a QB in-season this year? That would be hard to believe. And even if that scenario played out, we probably still get a fourth round pick at least for Bridgewater. 

I would have kept the insurance policy. I would not have cashed in without a great return. We did not get a great return. And now Darnold HAS to perform right away. The pressure is on. We have done him no favors here. All we did was do right by Bridgewater, I guess. I mean, he goes from behind Darnold to behind Brees. 

We are a worse team today than we were yesterday. I do not believe keeping Bridgewater would have adversely affected Darnold at all. And if it would, then he is NOT the man for the job. Instead, all we have done is greater the odds that he will succomb to the pressure that comes with being a savior for one of the worst franchises in league history. 

We're still the same 'ol lame-*** Jets until proven otherwise. This is just further proof.

end of rant.

33 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I just don't understand why we HAD to do this right now. I get it, they really really really like Sam Darnold and believe in him. And some people outside of the organization are singing his praises as well. So, all signs point to Darnold being the real deal. To all of that, I say so what? We're the Jets. Nothing comes easily for this organization. Absolutely. When you think we are about to turn a corner, we usually fall flat on our collective faces.

Why couldn't we start 2018 with Bridgewater backing up Darnold, with McCown around as the mentor/inactive third qb? What was wrong with that scenario? It's not like Bridgewater is under contract beyond this season. He was a goner for sure at some point between now and the off-season anyway. So why RIGHT NOW? Because even if we are 95% sure that Darnold is the man, that 5% matters more for us than other organizations. Because we have a history of not making the right choice, or of screwing things up with the right choice. Would the market have dried up completely between now and the trading deadline? It depends on the injury factor. But are we really thinking NO NFL team was going to become desperate after losing a QB in-season this year? That would be hard to believe. And even if that scenario played out, we probably still get a fourth round pick at least for Bridgewater. 

I would have kept the insurance policy. I would not have cashed in without a great return. We did not get a great return. And now Darnold HAS to perform right away. The pressure is on. We have done him no favors here. All we did was do right by Bridgewater, I guess. I mean, he goes from behind Darnold to behind Brees. 

We are a worse team today than we were yesterday. I do not believe keeping Bridgewater would have adversely affected Darnold at all. And if it would, then he is NOT the man for the job. Instead, all we have done is greater the odds that he will succomb to the pressure that comes with being a savior for one of the worst franchises in league history. 

We're still the same 'ol lame-*** Jets until proven otherwise. This is just further proof.

end of rant.

We have limited roster spots. we are going to be cutting roster-able players as is. Big name players stayed relatively healthy this off-season so the demand just wasn't there. A third is a great return on investment and yes it could've been more had the demand been there. Im glad for once we aren't keeping 4 QBs going into the regular season and its a vote of confidence in Sam. 

48 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Sure it is a great deal for the Saints, because Dree Brees, is pushing 40 years old. What has Mac ever done with his third round picks, that's right nothing. We have all our eggs in one basket now, and that is the FA market. And nothing is guaranteed.

Well time will tell I guess. We can’t stop trading players away for good compensation just because Mac has been very underwhelming thus far in his drafting (minus his first round picks). 

This offseason will be a big one for us with all the money we have available. I think so far in the Bowles/Mac era we have flattered to deceive and need to show more. 

Macc had been a scout etc and we thought we would be unearthing gems left right and centre in the draft. It has actual turned out quite poor in thruth but if he hits big on Darnold then he will be given more time to improve the rest of the roster. 

13 minutes ago, Sapo28 said:

We have limited roster spots. we are going to be cutting roster-able players as is. Big name players stayed relatively healthy this off-season so the demand just wasn't there. A third is a great return on investment and yes it could've been more had the demand been there. Im glad for once we aren't keeping 4 QBs going into the regular season and its a vote of confidence in Sam. 

Darnold + Bridgewater + McCown = 3 QBs, not 4. 

Unless my math is screwed up.

53 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

end of rant.

Thank god, I agree with you 100%.  We should have waited for a better offer.

21 minutes ago, Sapo28 said:

All we had  to do is cut one of those useless TE"s we have on the roster, and there is a spot for Bridgewater.

1 minute ago, doumeyer said:

We have  to do is cut one of those useless TE"s we have on the roster, and there is a spot for Bridgewater.

I like our TE group personally, hoping Herndon, Sterling, Leggett, and Walford can all make the team but I highly doubt it. Tomlinson could make the roster based on his blocking but he lacks flash. 

I think it will become more evident when the 53 man roster comes out. We have a ton of talent at WR, CB, and TE and we are going to see some of that talent out the door at roster cut down. 

57 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

This was not a roster decision. Come on. Our roster is not so good that we could not fit another potential starting QB. That's insane.

100% is. The rest of the league carries 2 QBs and we have the benefit of Pryor having QB experience. A QB was totally expendable.

Let me know when having "the best" 3rd stringer makes a difference on a season.  

Archived