NFL historical oddities, weird facts, stats and trivia

Todd Pence

15 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Oh I love this thread. My favorite "oddity" is the 2004 Buffalo Bills. 

The 04 Bills started their season with a pair of 3 point losses, and stumbled their way to a pitiful 1-5 start. What ensued was a simply dominant stretch of football, one that was certainly unprecedented for a team at the bottom of the standings. Winning 8 of their next 9 games, outscoring opponents by an average of 15.4 points per game, the Bills were now somehow on their way to the playoffs. Sitting at 9-6, all they needed was to win their week 17 matchup, and as luck would have it they were going up against backups as the Steelers, with nothing to play for, would rest their starters. Did I mention this game would be at home? The Bills had the playoffs all but locked... but you know it doesn't end that way. Instead they get embarrassed by the Steeler's B-Team, trailing by as much as 12 points in the 4th quarter en route to a 29-24 defeat. Their fall was as unexpected as their rise, and the 04 Bills would largely fade into obscurity as just another 9-7 team in the record books. 

Of course it is worth noting, as hot as they got, there is little doubt they would have fallen to the Pats in the postseason had they made it that far. Their lone loss during their 9 game hot streak was to the Pats, and it was a beatdown to the tune of 29-6. Still, for a 1-5 team to take such a SHARP turn, going from bottom of the standings to blowing teams out, and then go and take another SHARP turn, losing a play-in game to backups at home, makes this one of the most interesting seasons in history.

And they were coached by Mike Mularkey of all people.

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

The 2000 Ravens are regarded as one of the best defenses of all time. However in week 2 of that year Jimmy Smith of the Jaguars had a monster day, catching 15 passes for 291 yards, and 3 touchdowns.

They allowed 36 points in that game.  They would only allow 129 across the other 15 games.

15 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

They allowed 36 points in that game.  They would only allow 129 across the other 15 games.

Mark Brunell might have been the best passer they played that year. o.O

At least in the regular season. 

Edited by PapaShogun

Bobby Layne once cursed the Detroit lions following a trade dispute, stating the team wouldn’t win for 50 years. Exactly 50 years later was the Lions’ infamous 0-16 season, which landed them the #1 overall pick. They used that pick to select Matthew Stafford, who attended the same high school as.....Bobby Layne. 

• Like 3

On 22 December 1985, WR Stephon Paige had 4 receptions for 207 yards and two TD in the first half. He finished the game with 9 receptions for 309 yards which is still the record for a 60-minute game or fewer than 10 receptions.

The official record is 336 yards on 15 receptions, but 40 yards were in OT. 

J

Edited by onejayhawk
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, onejayhawk said:

On 22 December 1985, WR Stephon Paige had 4 receptions for 207 yards and two TD in the first half. He finished the game with 9 receptions for 309 yards which is still the record for a 60-minute game or fewer than 10 receptions.

The official record is 336 yards on 15 receptions, but 40 yards were in OT. 

J

1/3 of his production from a yards perspective in one game. 

6 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

The 2000 Ravens are regarded as one of the best defenses of all time. However in week 2 of that year Jimmy Smith of the Jaguars had a monster day, catching 15 passes for 291 yards, and 3 touchdowns.

Damn, I feel pretty confident calling that one of the greatest WR performances of all time. Stats alone put it up there, but put them into context, put up against the GOAt D, and I can't imagine it gets more impressive that than.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2018 at 7:25 PM, Todd Pence said:

Georgia Tech has sent over 150 players to the NFL, but only one ex-Yellowjacket has ever started a game at quarterback. That would be Mike Kelley, who went under
center as a scab for the San Diego Chargers during the 1987 strike.

How? I was an infant in 1987. That being said, I probably don't remember much from my first year on this planet.