I ask of Thee, who will Be Running Back 3?

vike daddy

In Week 1 of the preseason, Roc Thomas exploded for two touchdowns, and then in Week 2 it was Mike Boone‘s turn to stand out. Against the Jaguars, Boone ran for 91 yards on 13 carries and had an excellent block in pass protection late in the game. Thomas was still solid, gaining 5.0 yards per carry and catching a 16-yard screen pass. Mack Brown did not play.

The Vikings have been very interested in Boone’s freakish athleticism since Day 1, which may give him the slight edge over Thomas for a roster spot, but that depends on how each running back plays over the next two games. Both have likable skills. Boone is explosive and proved he can be tough to tackle, while Thomas is a natural runner with solid receiving ability — he was even targeted out of the slot on one play but could not bring in the pass.

Whichever player gets the job, it would make sense that the other is signed to the practice squad.

Last week, my opinion was that we'd keep Thomas because he's a better complement to the two RBs ahead of him. However, seeing Boone more, I think we may have to keep him because he's just better. I think we could possibly sneak Thomas onto the PS, but we couldn't do that with Boone.

2 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I'd take Boone as RB3

I'd take Thomas as RB4 over "WR6" ... we could stash WR5 to WR7 on the PS basically.

I agree. I'd keep 4 RBs at this point to not lose one of Boone or Thomas over keeping someone like Beebe as WR6. 

That or maybe Ham? Is it a sure thing that a FB has to make the team?

I personally just think that Boone is the better RB, period.  Thomas may, technically, be more similar to McKinnon, but they already have McKinnon's role in Cook, so I'd rather see the #3 be more similar to Murray...and that's Boone.  Plus, he's a better blocker than Thomas is right now.  

Who they keep will depend on what Klomp was talking about, IMO. 

If they want a Jericho McKinnon replacement, Roc is the guy. If they want someone who could carry the ball 20x should the worst happen to Cook/Murray, I think that’s Boone. 

as some have said it'd be nice to keep both players, which is a possibility given thomas' receiving ability. i think he could take on the duties of a WR6 if called upon. 

if they had to keep one i think they'd opt to keep thomas, he's the more natural runner and more polished overall. boone has great athleticism though so ideally you'd stick him on the practice squad and hope he doesn't get picked up anywhere. 

bottom line i just think it would be hard for the vikings to cut thomas as he's the more reliable option for this upcoming season.

PS as lame as the thread title is, it's even lamer because it doesn't it doesn't follow an obvious rhythm (hint: make it #3)

Archived