I ask of Thee, who will Be Running Back 3?

vike daddy

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

It’s funny that PFF has Thomas graded miles ahead of Boone in pass pro. I certainly haven’t seen it that way. 

Boone missed a blitz pickup in the Broncos game (sack on Siemian from a LB or S coming through the B gap IIRC), that's probably a big part of the difference on a small sample size.

I like Boone more as an actual RB (if they needed a replacement for Murray) but think Thomas might be more valuable for the screens and pass routes they'll ask the RB3 to run. Ideally they'd find a way to keep both and have a Cook/Boone/Thomas rotation in 2019. 

2 hours ago, whitehops said:

if they had to keep one i think they'd opt to keep thomas, he's the more natural runner and more polished overall. boone has great athleticism though so ideally you'd stick him on the practice squad and hope he doesn't get picked up anywhere. 

I don't see that at all

13 hours ago, Klomp said:

I don't see that at all

boone is more explosive but thomas has better vision and is a more elusive runner. i know YPC isn't the best indicator of RB ability but boone averaged 4 YPC his last two seasons in college while thomas averaged 6 YPC every year besides his freshman year, when he averaged 5 YPC. that's a pretty big disparity. 

bottom line i think thomas is better at "creating yards".

15 minutes ago, whitehops said:

boone is more explosive but thomas has better vision and is a more elusive runner. i know YPC isn't the best indicator of RB ability but boone averaged 4 YPC his last two seasons in college while thomas averaged 6 YPC every year besides his freshman year, when he averaged 5 YPC. that's a pretty big disparity. 

bottom line i think thomas is better at "creating yards".

Well the yards per carry difference can probably be explained by the difference between the American Athletic Conference and the Ohio Valley Conference. Put Boone in the OVC and his average would be up there too.

The fact he "didn't see that all camp until now" from Thomas also tells me it's not something that should be counted on from him. Even so, it seems Thomas would rather dance around a defender (remember how much we loved that the last few years AP was here?) while Boone just runs 'em over.

2 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Well the yards per carry difference can probably be explained by the difference between the American Athletic Conference and the Ohio Valley Conference. Put Boone in the OVC and his average would be up there too.

it's a smaller sample size but thomas averaged 5 and 6.1 YPC in his freshman and sophmore years playing in the SEC (auburn). 

Agreed. I would keep all 4 RB’s. Both Boone and Roc bring different skills sets to the table; both effectively move the ball. I also wonder if Ham or the FB position is absolutely necessary in. Flip’s offense. It will definitely be an interesting cut.

3 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Over Jones and Williams? Not a chance I would think.

they also have Ty Montgomery which is kind of like their own Roc Thomas except he is a WR.

There is zero chance that either would end up on the Packers.  I'd be more concerned about one of them ending up with the Lions, who still have never found a running game.  

Archived