I ask of Thee, who will Be Running Back 3?

vike daddy

57 minutes ago, swede700 said:

There is zero chance that either would end up on the Packers.  I'd be more concerned about one of them ending up with the Lions, who still have never found a running game.  

The Lions backfield is just as crowded if not more so than the Packers.

Ameer Abdullah, Theo Riddick, LeGarrette Blount and Kerryon Johnson. It's not impossible I guess but I don't think it is likely.

26 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

The Lions backfield is just as crowded if not more so than the Packers.

Ameer Abdullah, Theo Riddick, LeGarrette Blount and Kerryon Johnson. It's not impossible I guess but I don't think it is likely.

It's crowded, but they're no good.  That's the difference.  I'd take any of the Packers 3 RBs over anyone in the Lions' backfield, save Blount.  

17 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It's crowded, but they're no good.  That's the difference.  I'd take any of the Packers 3 RBs over anyone in the Lions' backfield, save Blount.  

That's fair about Abdullah and Riddick but Johnson is a 2nd round rookie who I believe they'll give a fair look to. 

I thought it was very telling that Thomas didn’t play in the 3rd preseason game. We’ll see how much action he gets in week 4, but right now it looks like Boone has clearly won the #3 job and the Vikings don’t appear to want to put Thomas on much more of a display.

Running back Mike Boone leads the Vikings with 139 rushing yards this preseason. In turn, Boone is the leading candidate for the No. 3 running back spot heading into Thursday night’s preseason finale against the Titans. His competition is on the mend, as Roc Thomas returned to 11-on-11 drills during Sunday’s practice and looks in line to play. Mack Brown, who was limited Sunday, could also return to action Thursday.

Zimmer: “[Boone's] a guy that is really versatile. Can catch the ball, has good feet and made some really good cuts. He continues to show pretty well.”

http://www.startribune.com/zimmer-doesn-t-expect-elflein-to-start-season-on-pup-list/491752961/

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Running back Mike Boone leads the Vikings with 139 rushing yards this preseason. In turn, Boone is the leading candidate for the No. 3 running back spot heading into Thursday night’s preseason finale against the Titans. His competition is on the mend, as Roc Thomas returned to 11-on-11 drills during Sunday’s practice and looks in line to play. Mack Brown, who was limited Sunday, could also return to action Thursday.

Zimmer: “[Boone's] a guy that is really versatile. Can catch the ball, has good feet and made some really good cuts. He continues to show pretty well.”

http://www.startribune.com/zimmer-doesn-t-expect-elflein-to-start-season-on-pup-list/491752961/

Didn't even realize Thomas had missed practice. Seems to be a more realistic explanation as to why he didn't play than just that they are hiding him.

On 8/21/2018 at 10:10 AM, marshpit23 said:

I also wonder if Ham or the FB position is absolutely necessary in. Flip’s offense. It will definitely be an interesting cut.

With Flip saying things like this, I'd personally be surprised if Ham were cut. He's also a key ST contributor.

Now, Boone is an undrafted rookie trying to stick with the Vikings with a final preseason test remaining. Thanks to a strong preseason, Boone enters Thursday’s game against the Tennessee Titans as the frontrunner to win the team’s competition for the third running back spot.

He enters that game with a team-high 139 rushing yards on 34 carries this preseason. And he’s added eight receptions, second-most on the team, a byproduct of his wide receiver background which has made him an appealing option for the Vikings and new offensive coordinator John DeFilippo, who utilizes running backs in the passing game.

“There’s no doubt (it has),” DeFilippo said. “I mean he has really good hands and our big thing on our offense is the more you can do (the better). We like moving guys around to do certain things and the more jobs you can do, the more valuable you are, not only in our offense but to any offense in the NFL. Because obviously there is not a lot of guys on the team each week in terms of numbers. The more jobs you can do the more valuable you become.”

https://theathletic.com/493848/2018/08/29/vikings-mike-boone-running-back-undrafted-cincinnati-dalvin-cook-latavius-murray/

Thursday night, Thomas was given the early workload, rushing four times for 12 yards, but then he went down to injury and opened the door for Boone to potentially put his stamp on his roster spot. Boone rushed 15 times for 56 yards and caught two passes for 53 yards, including a screen pass he took 46 yards to set up a field goal that turned out to be the game-winning points. For the preseason, Boone had more carries (49) and rushing yards (195) than than the next three running backs combined – Murray (20-79), Thomas (17-66) and Brown (11-34).

Spielman:  “Not only can he [Boone] run, but he catches the ball out of the backfield. The hardest thing for rookie running backs is to learn the pass protections and who to key when the blitz is coming – whether the corner is coming, whether the nickel, safety is coming, whether the linebacker is coming. So they have to scan and know what the protection is, where their keys are, and each week he’s gotten better and better at that.”

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/Mike-Boone-makes-his-case-for-roster-spot-appears-safe-121215290/

Archived