Preseason, Week 3: VIKINGS (1-1) vs Seahawks (0-2)

swede700

Rushing Yards  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who will have the most rushing yards?

• Mike Boone
    • CJ Prosise
    • Roc Thomas
    • Rashaad Penny
    • Latavius Murray
    • Chris Carson

11 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Maybe he can get to top 10 with a good year or two but there is no maybe about it right now. Cousins is most certainly not a top 10 QB. He probably isn't top 15.

I do think that he is a little better than Case Keenum. Sadly, I am not sure of it.

Don't get me wrong, I was just giving Kirk Cousins the benefit of the doubt, but I could easily put a list of say 20-25 QBs in terms of potential I would want more than him in terms of talent, potential and or cost effectiveness.  Hopefully he really preforms well this year with this much help around him with the solid defense and many playmakers on offense.  Still not totally sold but does appear to be better than what we had, more animated and communicates better than Sam Bradford, stronger arm apparently than Case and can stay healthy unlike Teddy.  

With how Kearse looked no way we cut him either, my guess is they keep Harris, Kearse and Iloka and rather not keep an extra linebacker outside of Wilson and maybe Downs, that means Brothers, Williams and Cliett will be cut, especially since Iloka can play special teams well.  Also increases the likelihood that Holton Hill gets cut as well with Iloka on the team.  

Another thing, Solter has looked so much better than Siemian has, it is almost like do we move Solter to the 2nd string QB?  Honestly Solter is an awesome project QB long term and no way in hell they bring Siemian back after this season and his contract is up.  Solter has a lot of tools, Siemian just has the fact he has started in the NFL before, but in terms of his long term potential, it is pretty nothing.  Sure looked ok in Denver against a team he probably wanted to show up against but has done little to nothing in the other preseason games.  

In Solter I can honestly not remember a project QB the Vikings have had as a 3rd stringer that has this much potential.  Maybe Todd Bouman but really the love he got was only because he was a local kid.  Spergon Wynn clearly was an awful project QB and same with Tarvaris Jackson who was projected as a starter early in his career and was only a 3rd stringer for a little bit.  Maybe Brad Johnson as a late round pickup that turned into a solid player but he was the backup not the 3rd string.  Really it is probably the best 3rd string QB we have had since Joe Webb who is still in the league which is very impressive and does a good job as a backup.    And Solter is arguably just as big and has a better overall arm than Joe did.  I really liked Taylor Heinicke as well as a 3rd stringer we had and practice squad development QB, but he always got injured, especially when Teddy was out for that long period of time.  And now Heinicke might be the 2nd string QB in Carolina.  Still Solter has shown a lot I think this preseason and as a developmental QB we do not have to play right away, he is a great part of the team potentially.

Cousins was decent but inaccurate on a few passes that hurt the offense, especially the comeback to Thielen that he threw behind him and the stop and go to Thielen down the sideline that should’ve been an explosive play. Placement was also poor on the long pass to Diggs at the goalline that bounced off Griffin’s helmet — if it was an over the shoulder throw it was left way too short, if it was a back shoulder it was too far inside. He’s been checking down a lot, even on 3rd and long when he seems to have time to extend the play and try to make something happen downfield. I’m not super impressed.

Siemian was absolutely terrible, simply refused to stand in the pocket and throw the ball. I don’t know how you can evaluate the 2nd team WRs with that kind of QB play. 

Sloter was good: ball came out on time and he threw accurately. The TD to Beebe was a great play. I’d rather see him as QB2. I don’t know why Siemian makes the team unless he plays well in the 4th game.

The RBs were good, the run game was limited by the blocking. Boone should be the RB3 but his pass protection is pretty bad. They should have no trouble getting Thomas to the PS. Ham is very good.

Diggs, Treadwell and Beebe were good, especially Diggs on the back shoulder throw. Thielen got open but Cousins missed him. Can’t say anything about the 2nd string WRs who got no service from Siemian. The TEs similarly had few targets.

Pass blocking was generally OK but run blocking was bad. Edison was good. Hill and Compton weren’t great. The failure to pick up the blitz by Wagner was either on Compton or Edison, I guess Compton. Collins was a weak spot, again. Isidora had a couple of whiffs in pass pro. O’Neill gave up a sack but it looked like he expected a chip from the the RB (Boone IIRC) that didn’t come, and even then he pushed the DE 10 yards deep, but Siemian didn’t climb the pocket. Otherwise he was good pass blocking, bad run blocking. 

Richardson was the main problem with the first team DL giving up run plays up the middle. Hunter was very good. Robison was invisible and got manhandled by a TE on one outside run to his edge, pushed back 6-7 yards and turned around backwards. Bower looks awesome, he should be playing ahead of Robison. I’ve been a Weatherly skeptic but he was very good for the second game in a row. Parry was good. Holmes and Johnson were just OK. Odenigbo didn’t get anywhere playing DE, think he ends up back on the PS and makes the team in 2019. 

Barr got to rush off the edge a couple of times and got nowhere. He just isn’t very good at it, never has been. Kendricks was great on the pass coverage play but couldn’t shut down Carson in the open field and gave up a big RAC play. Wilson looks great. The other LBs didn’t impress me but Cliett and Williams were OK. Looked like Brothers might’ve got a concussion on Harris’ pick.

Rhodes got bossed a couple of times by Marshall, just like the old days in Chicago. Waynes was good. Newman hasn’t made a play yet this preseason, I hope they don’t have to play him. Sherels had great coverage on his targets, hope his hamstring isn’t too bad. Mathis got burned a couple of times. Hill was OK but still hasn’t shown anything that warrants a roster spot. I think they aim to get him to the PS.

Iloka was great on the INT. Looks like a boss out there. Harris and Kearse made a couple of plays. 

Carlson’s misses were both just wide, the PAT he made was just inside. The first FG attempt in particular looked like it was going in, just hooked at the last second. Quigley and the punt coverage team were unimpressive.

33 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I'd want to see Sloter against a higher level of competition before I elevate him. He is still very poor at sensing pressure, had no feel for the blind side rusher against Seattle.

That is why I said project QB, and personally I have been way more impressed with Solter as a football prospect and his upside compared to Siemian.  Again only thing Siemian has going for him is experience but that does not mean he is a better option just because of that experience.  Sure this year Siemian probably will be the guy if they need a backup but after this year no way they bring him back I feel.

Also Stacy Coley who I like could easily be cut for Chad Beebe, because Coley has been injured and not really done much this preseason, I would not be shocked to see that happen.  Hopefully we can keep both but give me Beebe over freaking Brandon Zylstra no doubt.  Sure he might show up maybe in the camp but in the games he has done nothing so far, more of a practice squad guy maybe, even Wieneke who is also a local kid has done way more than Zylstra has.  Be surprised to see them cut Beebe though with how solid he has looked.  

38 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I'd want to see Sloter against a higher level of competition before I elevate him. He is still very poor at sensing pressure, had no feel for the blind side rusher against Seattle.

Unblocked blind side rushers are hard for any QB to sense. 

Sloter’s been way better in a tight pocket and in the face of pressure than Siemian this preseason — why would Siemian have the QB2 slot ahead of him when he can’t get the ball out on time from the pocket?

3 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Unblocked blind side rushers are hard for any QB to sense. 

Sloter’s been way better in a tight pocket and in the face of pressure than Siemian this preseason — why would Siemian have the QB2 slot ahead of him when he can’t get the ball out on time from the pocket?

Siemien hasn't been good either, I'm certainly not advocating for him. I'm just not confident in saying the results will be better for Sloter with elevated competition.  Siemien will get the benefit of the doubt given that he has started in this league while Sloter's experience has come against players who will be unemployed in a few weeks.

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

Siemien hasn't been good either, I'm certainly not advocating for him. I'm just not confident in saying the results will be better for Sloter with elevated competition.  Siemien will get the benefit of the doubt given that he has started in this league while Sloter's experience has come against players who will be unemployed in a few weeks.

He's also playing with players that will be unemployed

Beebe makes my team, no doubt.

All depends where they want to go for the fifth guy. Wienecke made plays last night, but it sounds like Zylstra's been more consistent in practice when he was out there. Wright, Coley and King have been mostly invisible.

14 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Siemian has been absolutely terrible against the second team. Sloter has been pretty good against the 3rd. That should be enough reason to try Sloter in the QB2 spot. Of course there’s no guarantee it works out better but it can hardly be worse.

Siemian’s been almost completely unable to throw the ball downfield or target a WR — the only plays he doesn’t run around in a blind panic are quick throws to backs and TEs. If there were no names on the jerseys you’d think he was a UDFA rookie. Why should he be gifted the QB2 spot just because he started in Denver? What more could he possibly do to lose it?

9 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

4 chicken strips and fries that would be embarrassed by McDonalds = $10

An 8 oz bag of peanuts = $6

A 16oz can of Minnesota Gold beer = $12

This honestly ruins a good chunk of the experience of going to the games. 

I can be fine with overpaying for beer, I get it. Limits some of the drunkenness and a lot of people will still buy it, but the food and pop is outrageous. 

Outside of the playoff game I’ve gone either on company paying for it, or inclusive box so I get fed and free drinks. 

I wish we did something similar to Atlanta (I believe) where they took the price of food WAY down.

9 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I can be fine with overpaying for beer, I get it. Limits some of the drunkenness and a lot of people will still buy it,

What’s ridiculous about the beer, is that they still charge more for “better” beer. Charging $10 for a $3 can of Miller Lite is bad enough, but with already a huge mark up price, it’s insulting that they then charge $12 for a $4 can of a craft brew. 

27 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

4 chicken strips and fries that would be embarrassed by McDonalds = $10

An 8 oz bag of peanuts = $6

A 16oz can of Minnesota Gold beer = $12

This honestly ruins a good chunk of the experience of going to the games. 

FairScarceBubblefish-max-1mb.gif

It is every pro sporting event in America anywhere though, and you did not mention the parking costs....   Sad thing is the new Vikings training camp and having to pay to get into the Vikings Museum, that is insane...  What like what $20 to get in to see Viking memorabilia, yeah that should be free come on....  Lucky for them a lot of people have a lot of money and do not mind spending $350-$700 for just one game with a family of four.

Archived