Redskins sign Adrian Peterson

49erurtaza

5 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

How good is the skins OL?

I thought Peterson had some left in the tank watching him last year. He definitely has a chance to have a good year for the Redskins IMO. May not be a popular opinion, but I don't think he's done.

You're not alone in that thinking either. Do I think he will be the same HOF AP that he has been known for in years past? Absolutely not. Not at the age of 33. But I do think he could still be a good situational back. I remember people (even myself) saying Bettis was done, and look at what he did in his former years.  

I think the people who believe he is completely done and has been irrelevant for 2 years now are ignoring some important factors and situations that have occurred within that time frame. 

3 years ago he put up first team All-Pro numbers. A year later he gets injured and misses most of the season (and I don't think I need to remind everyone how resilient he is). Last year he gets signed to a Saints team who completely underutilized him and so he asks to be traded. At this point in the season, there weren't very many options out there, so he signs with an  Arizona team who didn't exactly have the best OL in the run game either. Or on offense at all, for that matter.

The point is, if the Skins use him wisely and the OL can create holes and hold their blocks at the second level -even just slightly better than they did last year- AP can make an impact. 

Peterson's current problem is that he's a dinosaur in terms of the modern NFL and a poor fit in Gruden's WCO offense. Learning that terminology won't be easy for him at this late stage of the offseason. His pass pro isn't great, he doesn't play on 3rd downs, he's poor at pass catching and he's much better out of the deep set than with a QB in shotgun or pistol. On top of that, Alex Smith's great season last year was due in part to his highest percentage of playing in the shotgun... 55 % of the snaps in 2017

"Smith thrives on making quick decisions with the football, and also making throws on the run. By playing out of the shotgun more, Smith is able to deliver the ball quicker, and escape the pocket more easily when he senses pressure"

Most teams can't / won't change their offense to suit Adrian's strengths and the Redskins spent their offseason planning for Guice. Peterson's genetic freakiness doesn't help with any of those issues. Which is why he was on the street in mid-August and only found work in the break-glass-in-case-of- emergency situation

Here's an example breakdown from a vikes game during his excellent 2015 season

From I-formation with no fullback: 13 carries for 101 yards (7.8), one fumble.

From I-formation with the fullback: Six carries for 8 yards (1.3).

From the shotgun: 9 carries for 27 yards (3.0), one fumble.

From the pistol: One carry for minus -2 yards.

Sean Payton is one of the very best Offensive minds in the game and he struggled to find uses for Peterson in 2017, barely hitting 3 yards per carry and trading him after 5 games to AZ, the retirement home for old HOF RBs.

Great player, HOF career, but he's a 33 year old relic in the current version of the NFL.

I’m very interested to see how Alex Smith does on the team and AP can be a very good factor for him. I know he gets labeled a manager but he can make the reads and throws you want from a quarterback. If the other RB’s  are ok from injury this will be a very interesting team to watch. Alex is a great commander on the line. I definitely will be watching their first game

8 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

On top of that, Alex Smith's great season last year was due in part to his highest percentage of playing in the shotgun... 55 % of the snaps in 2017

"Smith thrives on making quick decisions with the football, and also making throws on the run. By playing out of the shotgun more, Smith is able to deliver the ball quicker, and escape the pocket more easily when he senses pressure"

I just wanna point out this fact. The usage of the Shotgun formation has been rising for the last 4 years now and is (once again, like it was in the mid-80's) becoming the norm.

Furthermore, the league average of snaps played from shotgun formation was 58% and 42% under center. Detroit was the highest usage at 76%. With ATL being the lowest at 41%.

Even more. Rushing wise only, KC was fifth in runs from the shotgun formation (27%) with the league average being 21%. But KC was 28th lowest in the league in pass situations(78%) with the league average being 79%.

Damn, looking back on all of this brings alot more to light. I should do this more often. I forget about these notes too often.

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

There will rarely be 8 men in the box to load up on AD.

No but there will be 11 defenders guarding the check down.  I wouldn't count on Smith opening things up near the line of scrimmage. 

Should have just waited until cut day.  I figure the Jets are cutting Rawls soon, who has had a nice camp, along with a ton of other decent RB's in their primes that will hit the market.  As great as he was he's shot at this point.  Any schmuck off the waiver wire can give you what AP can at this point.  This is a more flash then function signing.

9 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

You're not alone in that thinking either. Do I think he will be the same HOF AP that he has been known for in years past? Absolutely not. Not at the age of 33. But I do think he could still be a good situational back. I remember people (even myself) saying Bettis was done, and look at what he did in his former years.  

I think the people who believe he is completely done and has been irrelevant for 2 years now are ignoring some important factors and situations that have occurred within that time frame. 

3 years ago he put up first team All-Pro numbers. A year later he gets injured and misses most of the season (and I don't think I need to remind everyone how resilient he is). Last year he gets signed to a Saints team who completely underutilized him and so he asks to be traded. At this point in the season, there weren't very many options out there, so he signs with an  Arizona team who didn't exactly have the best OL in the run game either. Or on offense at all, for that matter.

The point is, if the Skins use him wisely and the OL can create holes and hold their blocks at the second level -even just slightly better than they did last year- AP can make an impact. 

If he has an OL and a bit of a passing game, then I expect him to be ready to put up good numbers for the workload that is reasonable. If washington is healthy, the OL should be good, much better than what AP has had in the last few years. I am not expecting 30 carries a game, but he might have a few3 games near that. A player of this skill and natural ability doesn't lose it, but age might diminish some of it.  I won't be shocked if he averages 5ypc and is revived. He got placed on the back burner and then with a team that had OL issues and weren't winning.  I would have liked to seen the steelers sign him if they let bell walk  but it never happened >:(

Don't know how much AP has left in the tank, but I respect him for wanting to play at the minimum. Jerome Bettis took a significant pay cut for the 2005 Steelers, and that turned out well.

A player sometimes has to accept what they deem is below market value for their services, just like the rest of us do.

According to Field Yates of ESPN, Peterson signed with Washington for one year and $1.05 million, which is the minimum for a player with his level of experience. Under NFL rules, a player making the veteran minimum costs just $630,000 against the salary cap.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/21/adrian-peterson-signs-with-washington-for-league-minimum/

14 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

According to Field Yates of ESPN, Peterson signed with Washington for one year and $1.05 million, which is the minimum for a player with his level of experience. Under NFL rules, a player making the veteran minimum costs just $630,000 against the salary cap.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/21/adrian-peterson-signs-with-washington-for-league-minimum/

I figured it would be the league minimum.

Archived