Bills WR Jordan Matthews suffers chest injury in first practice with team

pwny

5 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Jets need to seriously think about one-upping the Bills at this point if they want to land Darnold...

Truthfully if the Bills are rebuilding while this sucks in theory it's not a long term risk injury but only affects them for 2017.   Probably allows them to keep him cheaper in 2018.   And yeah this definitely helps them get a top 5 pick. With 6 picks in first 3 rounds this hurts their PR but if they want a QB gotta like their chances with a top 5 pick and the draft capital they have.  

I think we can put the Bills 49ers Jets and Browns (great draft but their talent besides Garrett are all 2018-focused even Kizer) as the 4 teams angling for Cousins & the 2018 QB draft class. Can't see Cousins going to BUF he will have suitors galore.   BUF best  chance to upgrade QB has to be the draft no doubt the trades were with rebuilding in mind.  

Taylor 18m 2018 salary has 8m in dead $ so they could save 10M or keep him as the vet mentor but it sure looks like the Bills are angling to leave their QB options open. 

8 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I haven't seen a timeline for his return, but I'm guessing this isn't too serious.

at least I hope it isn't.

It's more that he was behind schedule going this late to a new team and new scheme.  Now he misses a lot more time.  That likely slows his learning curve and comfort in the O and a much slower start in 1H 2017.  

14 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Wow thats tough. Chest injury is unique yet vague. Wonder what the issue actually is. 

48-La4Vw_normal.jpg Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet)
New #Bills WR Jordan Matthews has a chip fracture in his sternum and is week to week, the team says. In his first practice...

Chip fracture in his sternum.  It's mostly about pain tolerance once the bone heals. The issue is he might not get cleared for contact until the docs feel he's 100 percent safe.  A chip fracture is minor by itself but the sternum is basically a sitting duck for WR for more contact on every play.   No contact means no live practice toget reps on the field with his O.   Thus the week to week designation.  

11 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

He'll be game ready by week 4 at very least. That's 4 weeks healing, 3 weeks of reps to get up to speed.

Not really the end of the season like many in this thread anticipate 

Thats key though, he will be fighting an uphill battle all year trying to get nsync with the offense. Hoepfully him and Tyrod can develop a chemistry quickly once he is able to get live reps again. 

25 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Thats key though, he will be fighting an uphill battle all year trying to get nsync with the offense. Hoepfully him and Tyrod can develop a chemistry quickly once he is able to get live reps again. 

I'm not that worried about that aspect. I mean it's not gonna be easy by any means but he's a smart kid from my understanding and WR isn't one of easier positions to adapt too. 

We just have to hold our breathes on the rest of the WR core staying healthy before panic time kicks in 

Matthews really benefited from Jeffries and smith. Matthews dropped six balls last year, and had a lot of garbage time catches.

call a tank a tank.

this could be the worst passing attack ever in 2017. the run game will suffer because of it, obviously.

4 and 12 sounds reasonable. 

Watkins is a free agent, next year? so unlike gilmore, where we get nothing in return, we get draft picks, and an average slot receiver.

no false hopes this year!

47 minutes ago, jalopy jamoke said:

Matthews really benefited from Jeffries and smith. Matthews dropped six balls last year, and had a lot of garbage time catches.

call a tank a tank.

this could be the worst passing attack ever in 2017. the run game will suffer because of it, obviously.

4 and 12 sounds reasonable. 

Watkins is a free agent, next year? so unlike gilmore, where we get nothing in return, we get draft picks, and an average slot receiver.

no false hopes this year!

You still have a Promising rookie WR, Anquan Boldin, Lesean McCoy, Tyrod Taylor. Losing Watkins/Matthews sucks but it's not gonna be even close to that unless Taylor goes down.

The jets though, they'll be god awful in the passing game.

Archived