Roster Prediction

VigilantZombie

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

You made your comments before game three. They have been in a professional environment for about 5 total weeks. They were all late round draft picks. Samuels is completely learning how to be a full time running back. 

I’m not trying to make a point — I’m making one. Your expectations are absurd. I’m not even saying any of them make the roster. I don’t like Allen and Frazier is buried too deep. But what did you expect from dudes making their FIRST appearances as professionals? Was Samuels suppose to look like Barry Sanders? Was Allen meant to immediately step on the field and look like Cam Chancelor? Was Frazier supposed to be prime Casey Hampton? Allen has been hurt and Frazier has seen limited snaps because of other guys. How were they meant to impress you? Look at Samuels game since his first ever professional appearance at a position he is largely foreign to — he has steadily improved, made huge strides pass blocking, and made solid plays along the way. Again, what in the world are your expectations? 

Just dial it back. There is a lot of grey area between good and atrocious...and these dudes live there....like the majority of people in the realistic world. 

And Samuels best chance at the roster is not a position he has not played and will not play in the future...that’s just absurd. 

First of all, youre the one that needs to dial it back. What do I expect? Signs of actual potential in consistency. Allen isnt going to play Safety in this lg. Frazier is too buried and thats the issue.

Samuels has to prove he is better than the other RBs on the roster, Im not convinced he is. He isnt auditioning to be a starter, no one expects Barry Sanders, Bell isnt even that good.

Also might want to do your research on Samuels he is more than capable of playing TE. The reason its his best chance is because of injuries at TE. It would allow the team to keep 'extra players' at the RB position and it would not be the first time they used a hybrid player at TE or RB. 

My expectations arent as extreme as you think. If Samuels repeats his performance in week 4, maybe he will earn a roster spot. They dont have to impress ME, they need to impress the coaching staff. Allen and Frazier wont be on the final 53. Samuels is arguable either way.

9 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Samuels has to prove he is better than the other RBs on the roster, Im not convinced he is.

Better than who? Bell and Connor? Because no he doesn’t. He needs to show strides as a guy who was not a running back. He has done that. He needs to show enough potential in learning how to be a full time runningback and special teams ability. Both things he has done throughout camp and progressed in games. 

11 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Also might want to do your research on Samuels he is more than capable of playing TE. The reason its his best chance is because of injuries at TE. It would allow the team to keep 'extra players' at the RB position and it would not be the first time they used a hybrid player at TE or RB.

Why because that’s the hoodie they gave him at the combine? He was a positionless, jack of all trades in college. His senior year he lined up in a “tight end” position on 3% of his overal snaps. We have 2 of our top 3 TEs injured and he has receiver 0 snaps there. Would love to see how many times he put his hand in the dirt and downblocked. Every article you find that you will read about him says he is not a tight end, but needed to find a position, which was either running back or receiver in the league....but I have to do my research...

21 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

My expectations arent as extreme as you think.

They really are, man. If you first reaction after two preseason games from guys drafted in the 5th round or later is that they were an “atrocity” but two of them, you barely saw play....I don’t know what you wanted or what you could have seen. 

17 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I’ll have to chance my 53 — Patterson isn’t making this squad. Had disappeared since week 1 and I really hated his effort as a guy trying to make the roster covering the punt when he missed then didn’t make an effort to get up off the floor when the returner doubled back towards him. 

Small details man, but you gotta dig down and finish. He hadn’t given the effort to make it. Practice squad is likely, but I think he really needs to shine next week. That was pretty weak. 

ST effort is important from what I remember, it's what actually gets players a roster spot. They would keep DHB over him as a result. 

Adeniyi got a hamstring injury vs the panthers, but is there any way he doesn't make the team? He is our future at OLB or DE IMO, already has shown ability.  If the hamstring is that bad, they could place him on IR, but if not, then it could cause the roster to lack depth at OLB. I would say keep Thomas and if need be he could play OLB in emergency while Adeniyi recovers. 

Dobbs should make the team too

5 hours ago, VanS said:

I find it funny how nobody had Dobbs making the team and now he's the #2 QB behind Big Ben.

My how things change.

Its not because people didnt think he deserved it. Before preseason you could only base his potential on what you saw last year which wasnt much. But as preseason went on it was obvious he had progressed. The issue was that he had limited experience and Landry had more experience. The logic suggested that the FO would continue to support Jones who hadnt gotten worse but also hadnt progressed. 

The right decision was made no matter what the results for Dobbs ultimately are.

6 hours ago, VanS said:

I find it funny how nobody had Dobbs making the team and now he's the #2 QB behind Big Ben.

My how things change.

I wanted him to make the team, but we all thought Jones was invincible on cut day. How wrong we were:o I think Dobbs will be more than a solid reserve QB, if he gets to play.

6 hours ago, VanS said:

My how things change.

Nobody had Dobbs making the team because he has ZERO snaps in an NFL game.  Landry, while not a world beater, has plenty of NFL in-game experience and some successful starts.  Personally, I think it was a mistake, but they rolled the dice because they liked the talent/potential of Dobbs going forward.  Hopefully that decision doesn't come back to bite us. 

One thing I do like, is that Dobbs and Rudolph will push each other hard over the next two years.  Maybe that was part of the thinking.  

17 minutes ago, August4th said:

Mason vs Dobbs will be a really interesting position battle next preseason. I feel like if Mason can't beat out Dobbs next yr, than he's not the future QB to replace Ben

Why do people constantly jump to conclusions like this? "If Burnett is hurt then he was a wasted signing!" "If Rudolph can't win the backup job in 1 week, he's nothing more than a backup!" 

Pump the brakes, folks. Take a breath. Enjoy life. 

5 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

My comment about Burnett was not about the player but the results. The intent behind signing was legit and worthwhile. The results sometimes can be 'unflattering' so if he is out for the season, thats what I meant. 

I don't think there was ever any thought he would be out for the season. Players can return from IR now. 

Archived