Ravens CB Jimmy Smith suspended 4 games

TheVillain112

I'd love to know what the NFL considers "threatening texts". Since Jimmy hasn't been charged with a crime, I'm guessing they were pretty routine texts exchanged between a man and a women involved in an ugly custody battle. Where "Stop F*$#ING with me!!", could be twisted into a heinous threat.

I feel for Jimmy, it's obvious his ex got the texts to the NFL just to try and mess up his life. He must really want to rack her now lol. Sucks the kid has to be in this situation too. Now his parent's dispute gets to be public, that'll do him wonders. 

Comparing this to the Ray Rice situation is insane. Jimmy does get an F for judgement though, which is sadly becoming a trend. 

The Ravens have special depth at CB so they won't feel this too much, and honestly it'll be nice to ease Jimmy back after his Achilles injury. He can bring the defense to rare heights, but with so many talented young corners in the pipeline you have to think he's a headache the Ravens are about finished with. 

10 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

Trying to compare NFL suspension logic is like trying to understand why a pigeon prefers seeds to walnuts, we'll never know and it makes zero sense to try.

Ravens should straight up cut Jimmy Smith for being the d-bag he is and the fact he uses PEDs, but they won't because he's too valuable. The ravens are massive hypocrites and it's just like....Why? Did they not learn their lesson from Ray Rice? 

Apparently, the Ravens hired a bunch of outside DV experts who all gave input and reviewed the case and after that process was completed they decided they're going to keep Jimmy on the roster. Take that for what it's worth.

10 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I hope he gets everything figured out in his life.

So who's starting at corner for the Ravens now?

Marlon Humphrey, our 1st round pick from last year who, if Lattimore and the Bills' rookie CB didn't exist would've been the best rookie CB in the NFL.

22 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Well, in fairness, I wouldnt have said that if his absence was due to injury.   

I hear ya, and to be clear I wasn't trying insinuating that either. It was just reading your post, which was more blunt than I'm used to seeing on here reminding of those instances is all.   

12 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Apparently, the Ravens hired a bunch of outside DV experts who all gave input and reviewed the case and after that process was completed they decided they're going to keep Jimmy on the roster. Take that for what it's worth.

Marlon Humphrey, our 1st round pick from last year who, if Lattimore and the Bills' rookie CB didn't exist would've been the best rookie CB in the NFL.

That sounds PR speak for "we did a thing so we're not to blame if he screws up again" 

Humphrey was damn good as a rookie, they already have Smith's replacement so they can just move on but they won't because the ravens are incompetent when it comes to things like this.

9 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

That sounds PR speak for "we did a thing so we're not to blame if he screws up again" 

Humphrey was damn good as a rookie, they already have Smith's replacement so they can just move on but they won't because the ravens are incompetent when it comes to things like this.

Yea, every other NFL team would have immediately cut their top CB for threatening text messages. 

On 8/21/2018 at 6:10 PM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Good news is there aren't really good passers on their schedule the 1st 4 games except for Big Ben

2 Divisional games (Bengals and Steelers), and 4 games against AFC opponents.  That isn't a good stretch of games for a key player like Jimmy Smith to miss.

While Dalton isn't great, the Bengals/Ravens games are usually close.  Jimmy Smith honestly could be the difference between the Ravens winning or the Bengals winning that game...

9 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

It definitely is PR speak, and if the Ravens are wrong and something becomes public about this - it's going to be worse than the Ray Rice thing because it's a repeat.

35 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Yea, every other NFL team would have immediately cut their top CB for threatening text messages. 

Exactly.

7 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

It definitely is PR speak, and if the Ravens are wrong and something becomes public about this - it's going to be worse than the Ray Rice thing because it's a repeat.

Exactly.

Exactly my point, I hope nothing does for their sake/Jimmy's sake (Unless there is, then it should) 

8 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Given the Raven's history on domestic issues you'd figure they would learn, I know it's a custody thing and those usually aren't very nice but still. With smith being a PED user and now this you think the Ravens would get the hint.

Also it depends on the team and their CB situation, the Ravens have the luxury of having a solid group of CBs and can afford to move on from Smith. Say for example, if Casey Hayward sent threatening texts to his Ex the Chargers wouldn't do anything because their CB situation is terrible without him. (Even with him it's sketchy) But I'd rather eat the dead money and deal with poor secondary play than the bad PR that lasts for (Years?) if something worse was going on. There's no right answer but oh well.

I'd be curious what the ravens/any team would do if Joe Flacco/Their QB did something along what Ray Rice did, but knowing how Ben and Jameis were given the benefit of the doubt probably nothing.

Archived