First Apartment - Suggestions

braylon

Alright guys.. longtime member in the old forum, just finally got setup to be able to post on the new forum.

Anyway,  I just moved into my first "adult" apartment that is actually my own. My best friend and I just moved from Columbus, OH to Concord, NC. We're slowly piecing together the new place. We have the basics, plates, pots, pans, basic furniture, etc. I'm just wondering if you guys have any recommendations for some purchases that we may not have thought of that would be good for the place. I'm not looking for anything specific, it could be for function, entertainment, a money saver.. anything!! I just feel like I'm blanking on some things that would be good buys for the place.

Also.. if anyone is from the Concord/Charlotte area and has any thoughts/tips, that would be awesome! We are brand new to the area.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!!

Welcome to the forum

I can't think of anything super specific right now. And I've lived in many different apartments in a 10-year period. I've been a home-owner for 3 years now.

My main advice is to not accumulate much stuff and live lightly. That's just more stuff you have to move when the time comes.

If I could do it over again, I wouldn't have bought a bed or much furniture. Just a comfortable futon floor mat to sleep on and a disposable recliner and futon for the living room. Get an apartment with a kitchen bar counter in lieu of a dining room table.

Make sure you have a plunger somewhere (and know how to use it). The apartment you are in is likely not new and the old pipes can have issues.

I would suggest having some way to mark your foods if you are buying food individually (or designate shelves in the fridge). I remember having disagreements about who ate who's food living in my college house and this helps. This may have been more of an issue though because of 6 guys in the same house.

Have some schedule for your morning routines if you have similar morning type schedules (work/school start times).

Split up chores explicitly or plan to do chores on certain days so no one feels like they are doing too much.

28 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

Make sure you have a plunger somewhere (and know how to use it). The apartment you are in is likely not new and the old pipes can have issues.

I would suggest having some way to mark your foods if you are buying food individually (or designate shelves in the fridge). I remember having disagreements about who ate who's food living in my college house and this helps. This may have been more of an issue though because of 6 guys in the same house.

Have some schedule for your morning routines if you have similar morning type schedules (work/school start times).

Split up chores explicitly or plan to do chores on certain days so no one feels like they are doing too much.

This is the important stuff to follow. Living with your best friend, you guys are about to discover every little detail about each other and you may realize you hate living together. If you get to that point, make a change before you lose a friendship.

Thanks for the feedback guys. We have lived with each other in two different apartments in college and have literally been best friends since we can remember, so I'm not worried about the food, cleaning, friendship, etc. aspects, we have all of that down. I just think this is much different than the college apartment so I'm trying to prepare for that.

Renter's insurance is your friend. 

As mentioned above, I would keep things fairly minimal. You're going to spend your entire life acquiring "stuff", you don't need to overdo it on a place you know is not your long term spot, though I'd probably have a bed lol. 

Secondhand shops and things like facebook marketplace (preferably a local, private "yard sale" type group) are godsends if you're living cheap. You can get a lot of great value on household items that you may need. 

1 hour ago, braylon said:

Thanks for the feedback guys. We have lived with each other in two different apartments in college and have literally been best friends since we can remember, so I'm not worried about the food, cleaning, friendship, etc. aspects, we have all of that down. I just think this is much different than the college apartment so I'm trying to prepare for that.

introduce yourself to your neighbors right away too.

Archived