Better unit, Offense or Defense?

resilient part 2

It's a good question, because for years we have relied on our offense to carry us. Our most recent success in 2014 and 2016 were driven by our offense. But we lost Dez and Witten, and our defense has dominated in preseason. 

Very good question, but as impressive as our defense looks in exhibition, I can't side against Zeke and the OL.

In my mind, it doesn't matter how good or bad this D is, or whether or not Dak can throw for over 200 yards in game.  The most crucial to victory, and most impressive thing about our team is going to be this running game. Hands down. You can already see a glimpse in preseason with Rod Smith carrying the ball. So it's going to be insane when Zeke is the one working those lanes.

1 hour ago, Tyronnosaurus said:

Defense. Offense alone sleepwalks us to 8-8 or 7-9. If the defense is as good as it looks so far, we can go 12-4 or 13-3 and make a run.

I’m gonna go out and say it’s the opposite this year. This defense is going to be a Top 10 or borderline Top 10 unit at worst, and the offense offers the variance. Frederick and Martin already being nicked up smells like disaster

Our defense is better than our offense. It has been all training camp.

The question is whether the D is just really good, or the O is really bad. Based on what we've seen out of the first team during the preseason games, it looks like the former.

That's great news. Hopefully OL injuries don't derail it.

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Our defense is better than our offense. It has been all training camp.

Certainly. But we are built like a run first, ground and pound team that features an all pro runner. Camp offers very little practice in full on tackle, ground and pound style offense. And our all pro runner is wisely being kept out of the preseason games, which is our only chance to really show our power. Rod Smith looks great, but Zeke is on several different levels up.

In short, we haven't really seen our offense in camp. Not our real one.  

Our pass defense looks better than our pass offense but that isn't really saying much.

Let's line Zeke and the boys up against our front 7 with no name DTs, and let them go 100%. I guarantee it'll be tough to conclude our defense is clear cut better.

training camp is a poor one indicator since neither unit would use anything more than a vanilla scheme.  But if both units end up in the middle of the pack, I am guessing more will be disappointed with the offense since more money is used on that end, I believe than the defense. Also the standard set by the offense from the last few years.

2 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Certainly. But we are built like a run first, ground and pound team that features an all pro runner. Camp offers very little practice in full on tackle, ground and pound style offense. And our all pro runner is wisely being kept out of the preseason games, which is our only chance to really show our power. Rod Smith looks great, but Zeke is on several different levels up.

In short, we haven't really seen our offense in camp. Not our real one.  

Our pass defense looks better than our pass offense but that isn't really saying much.

Let's line Zeke and the boys up against our front 7 with no name DTs, and let them go 100%. I guarantee it'll be tough to conclude our defense is clear cut better.

This is a fair assesment, plus things will look different with Beasley and Tavon more involved. But we’ve seen what this team looks like without Tyron, and it’s fair to wonder if the same thing would happen without one of All-Pros on the interior, who’ve played 9 combined seasons worth of starts without a miss (147/147- Martin missed half the Chargers game last year, Frederick has never missed a play). Eventually you run into some bad luck/wear and tear and that runs out.

It feels like we’ll probably be seeing some Joe Looney this year. How much Looney and how much we fall off without Fred/Martin could determine the entire year.

Overall, I believe our defense will be the better unit. 

Until i see differently, I think any concerns about passing game are legitimate. I don't trust a single TE and I'm not convinced the WR got better as a group. I'm a little leery of Dak as well just because.  Then, there is Linehan....

Is it fair to not be quite sold on Jaylon Smith yet? I think he is better than last year, but did he really go from below average to all-pro in one off season? Andy Dalton juked him to the ground for a first down scramble last week, on a key 3rd down.

Not the best film.

LVE didn't even play in the game. So he is coming along nicely. Are we depending on Lee again? Because we know how that goes.

Our starting safeties in practice yesterday were Jeff Heath, and Kavon Frazior. Our number 2's were Kam Kelly and Tyree Robinson. 

I do expect a solid pass rush though.

Archived