The LA Dodgers Thread

RaiderX

On 5/29/2018 at 2:59 PM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Where the Dodger fans at? Obviously not a whole lot to be excited about so far this year as a whole but Buehler is killing it!

Honestly haven't been that into baseball even beginning with spring. First year I haven't had the mlb.tv package in a long time and I'm rarely even watching games. Baseball has always been my 3rd favorite sport and with the Rams having a good season and an exciting off season it's been easy to not be focused on baseball. Beuhler has been great and showing why we Dodger fans laughed at everybody else saying we needed to trade him the last couple of years. 

This year seems like kind of a punt year for the team as well. Instead of building up 2 area's that needed it, the rotation and pen, we stayed put and made the effort to shed money and some of those horrid contracts we took on with the ownership change to boost us into some form of a competitive team. Next year I'd expect some more moves and a few more young guys coming up along with Seager and Urias coming back. The biggest thing with next year is what does Kershaw do. He can opt out but with his chain of injuries the last few years will he? It's a hell of a gamble if he does. He's missed time with back or arm injuries 4 of the last 5 years. That's not something you want if you're going to pay a 31 year old 32+ million.

7 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

Honestly haven't been that into baseball even beginning with spring. First year I haven't had the mlb.tv package in a long time and I'm rarely even watching games. Baseball has always been my 3rd favorite sport and with the Rams having a good season and an exciting off season it's been easy to not be focused on baseball. Beuhler has been great and showing why we Dodger fans laughed at everybody else saying we needed to trade him the last couple of years. 

This year seems like kind of a punt year for the team as well. Instead of building up 2 area's that needed it, the rotation and pen, we stayed put and made the effort to shed money and some of those horrid contracts we took on with the ownership change to boost us into some form of a competitive team. Next year I'd expect some more moves and a few more young guys coming up along with Seager and Urias coming back. The biggest thing with next year is what does Kershaw do. He can opt out but with his chain of injuries the last few years will he? It's a hell of a gamble if he does. He's missed time with back or arm injuries 4 of the last 5 years. That's not something you want if you're going to pay a 31 year old 32+ million.

I miss not following Urias too. He was oozing with potential. Also, the bolded is a big thing for me too. Nice problem to have for a change!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
21 hours ago, Justwinning said:

I'm not feeling too confident about this year's team making it back to the World Series. Change my mind.

Honestly I’m just tired of even reading about it. According to some we’re conspiring against the players to rob them. Doesn’t matter that we’re over $200 million in payroll it’s out fault. Those teams under $100 million are fine.

TBH for this year it depends on pitching health. The clearing of the logjam in the outfield will help us. Having so many guys platoon out there to me is counterproductive. Catcher is a wash, the infield is largely unchanged and the outfield should be as good even upgraded if we do end up signing Harper. Which would likely lead to a trade of Joc and or Verdugo.

Pitching is where it will be at. Rotation is still solid and we get Urias back and Buehler had another year. rye was amazing when he came back healthy. Jensen’s health is key. I don’t see a big drop off, the question is what the other teams have done. The west is still very winnable, the rest is a question.

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2019 at 6:16 PM, NVRamsFan said:

Honestly I’m just tired of even reading about it. According to some we’re conspiring against the players to rob them. Doesn’t matter that we’re over $200 million in payroll it’s out fault. Those teams under $100 million are fine.

TBH for this year it depends on pitching health. The clearing of the logjam in the outfield will help us. Having so many guys platoon out there to me is counterproductive. Catcher is a wash, the infield is largely unchanged and the outfield should be as good even upgraded if we do end up signing Harper. Which would likely lead to a trade of Joc and or Verdugo.

Pitching is where it will be at. Rotation is still solid and we get Urias back and Buehler had another year. rye was amazing when he came back healthy. Jensen’s health is key. I don’t see a big drop off, the question is what the other teams have done. The west is still very winnable, the rest is a question.

Yea its definitely a wounded feeling going into the season but I think we're still the frontrunner in the division and don't think any NL team is unstoppable the way I worry about almost any contender in the AL. Having Kershaw and Buehler injured definitely sucks. We'll be relying on several guys that usually dont string together a lot of innings but usually given a solid 5-6 in Ryu, Stripling, Hill, and Maeda. I'll be very curious how cautious they are with Urias given our struggles at the top of the lineup. He very well could be our #1

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So we missed out on the big 3 (Cole, Stras, and Rendon) but no biggie imo.

We still have a great team. I still hope we bring back Ryu. I wouldn’t mind rolling with what we got and reassessing at the trade deadline.

Also, I like adding Treinen with the hope he bounces back to ‘18 form when he was as dominate as could be.

The question now is: Where do we go from here?

I agree it makes sense to bring Ryu back I don’t know that we needed to add a big name to the rotation. Adding Treinen is a typical Friedman gamble add to that the rumors we’re after Betances I think those two do a lot to help the bullpen.

I don’t get the Lindor pursuit, not that he isn’t great, but we’re so loaded with lefty bats and his splits make it look like he should just stop being a switch hitter. Rendon was my favorite target so that hurts. Hopefully we can get Donaldson him at third with a right bat would be big.

On 12/16/2019 at 3:10 PM, NVRamsFan said:

I agree it makes sense to bring Ryu back I don’t know that we needed to add a big name to the rotation. Adding Treinen is a typical Friedman gamble add to that the rumors we’re after Betances I think those two do a lot to help the bullpen.

I don’t get the Lindor pursuit, not that he isn’t great, but we’re so loaded with lefty bats and his splits make it look like he should just stop being a switch hitter. Rendon was my favorite target so that hurts. Hopefully we can get Donaldson him at third with a right bat would be big.

Agreed with everything here.

The industry expects Donaldson to land a 4-year deal, which frankly, I want no part of. I'd rather go 3 years with a higher AAV since he's already 34.

Bring back Ryu and reassess the team near the deadline.

Social media fans are the worst. I understand they want a big splash move to make them excited and feel better, but I think we just didn't have legit shots to land the big free agents. Rendon said he didn't want to be here, Cole seemed to want to go to NYY no matter what, and the same can be inferred about Stras not wanting to leave WAS. Our lineup and staff are up there with the best of them, we have quality depth, and our farm system is really good. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Justwinning said:

Social media fans are the worst. I understand they want a big splash move to make them excited and feel better, but I think we just didn't have legit shots to land the big free agents. Rendon said he didn't want to be here, Cole seemed to want to go to NYY no matter what, and the same can be inferred about Stras not wanting to leave WAS. Our lineup and staff are up there with the best of them, we have quality depth, and our farm system is really good. 

Reddit is the absolute worst, it's hard to even read that place.

• Like 1