Kerry Hyder Tears Achilles, out for season

Forge

Detroit Lions defensive end Kerry Hyder was carted off during the first quarter of his team's preseason game against the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday with an apparent lower left leg injury.

Lions coach Jim Caldwell said after the game that Hyder suffered a "significant Achilles injury." He didn't want to say much about a diagnosis until doctors finish tests, but a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter that the Lions fear Hyder tore his Achilles.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20332583/detroit-lions-de-kerry-hyder-carted-preseason-game-indianapolis-colts

Hyder kind of came out of nowhere last year and ended up leading the team in sacks. He was expected to be the starter across from Ziggy. 

**** Edit **** Confirmed out for season. 

Kerry Hyder’s injury is as bad as the Detroit Lions feared.

Hyder, who led the Lions with eight sacks in 2016, suffered a torn Achilles tendon in the first quarter of Sunday’s preseason opener against the Indianapolis Colts, NFL Network reported.

Lions coach Jim Caldwell said Sunday that “the initial impression” was that Hyder suffered just that injury, but he wanted to wait for further testing to make sure.

Hyder was carted off the field with 8:35 to play when his left leg gave out during a pass rush.

NFL Network reported that Hyder will undergo surgery this week. He’ll miss the entire 2017 season, but could return in time for training camp next year.

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Horrible news. I have to imagine Achilles injuries are one of the more painful things to tear/break in the body.

Absolutely.    

Fortunately, its never happened to me, so I dont have a first hand account, but after reading the descriptions of people who have went through it, its sounds absolutely horrific, and takes a long time before it stops hurting.  

7 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:
10 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Horrible news. I have to imagine Achilles injuries are one of the more painful things to tear/break in the body.

Absolutely.    

Fortunately, its never happened to me, so I dont have a first hand account, but after reading the descriptions of people who have went through it, its sounds absolutely horrific, and takes a long time before it stops hurting.  

I sprained mine like five years ago and it still hurts every now and then. And it pops all the time. I can't imagine actually tearing it.

5 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I sprained mine like five years ago and it still hurts every now and then. And it pops all the time. I can't imagine actually tearing it.

Yeah people say it feels like someone kicked you as hard as they can in the heel, but not just one kick and it's over, like that constantly.

no thanks.

hope he can make a full recovery, that's a bad injury for anyone let alone someone that needs power and leverage every single snap.

1 minute ago, domepatrol91 said:

Yeah people say it feels like someone kicked you as hard as they can in the heel, but not just one kick and it's over, like that constantly.

no thanks.

hope he can make a full recovery, that's a bad injury for anyone let alone someone that needs power and leverage every single snap.

I was playing a pick up game of basketball and I felt/heard a loud pop. I honestly thought someone came up behind me and slammed a basketball on the back of my ankle.

There were tweets that the Ind/Det coaching staff were concerned with field conditions before the game started.   As awful as this injury was, I hope it wasn't aggravated by bad field conditions.  Achilles tears are due to wear and tear, so it can't just be all one play, but the optics aren't great if he hurt himself in the area of the field the coaches were concerned about.

Either way, feel bad for the Lions - along with the Chargers (both their first 2 picks in a great draft, even if Williams wasn't my choice at 1.7), Colts (their C, Luck, etc.) and Ravens (3 starters on their OL), the Lions losing Taylor Decker and now Hyder, that's awful.   The recovery from Achilles' tears is brutal, I hope he can come back, but man, other than a Patella tear or the terrible triad (ACL/PCL/meniscus), well, there aren't much worse injuries out there.

This is terrible. He led the Lions in sacks last year after Ansah dealt with injuries, and he was basically the reason why the Lions didn't add any pass rushers this year. This really sucks for him. He's coming off of a great season and was going to be in line for a nice payday following this year. He was given the ERFA tag this year so his salary is relatively low ($540,000) despite being a highly productive player. He would've likely received a decent contract from the Lions after this season, now he'll likely have to play on an RFA tender before having the chance to get the kind of contact he deserves.

On 8/13/2017 at 6:42 PM, IDOG_det said:

This is terrible. He led the Lions in sacks last year after Ansah dealt with injuries, and he was basically the reason why the Lions didn't add any pass rushers this year. This really sucks for him. He's coming off of a great season and was going to be in line for a nice payday following this year. He was given the ERFA tag this year so his salary is relatively low ($540,000) despite being a highly productive player. He would've likely received a decent contract from the Lions after this season, now he'll likely have to play on an RFA tender before having the chance to get the kind of contact he deserves.

Yeah. This situation is actually even worse than it seems at first glance for a few reasons, and you summed it up extremely well.

It's going to be incredibly difficult to replace that production. Who knows whether Ziggy will come back even close to full strength too. We've got a few guys with motors, but not a lot of talent.

At first I thought we'd probably make a big move to upgrade and fill the void, but I don't know whether anyone is particularly available, (maybe Dunlap?) and I don't think that Quinn would give up high picks if he's truly a Patriots-esque guy.

Archived