Preseason WK3: Broncos @ Redskins

turtle28

Since no one has started a game day thread yet and I’m bored waiting on my breaks to be changed, I figured I’d bite the bullet and do it!

It goes without saying that this preseason game is incredibly important for the Redskins. Alex Smith has only played one series this entire preseason so far and while that may or may not be a big deal in the grand scheme of things, I’m of the belief that it is a big deal.

Obviously, Smith is new to the Redskins and new to the offense and all of his playmakers except for Vernon Davis. He did look good last week against the Jets for that one series, but it still didn’t calm my apprehension that this offense is likley to start the season slow once again just like every other Jay Gruden offense because his starters aren’t getting enough live game action in the preseason.

I don’t have many gripes about Gruden but him not playing Smith and some other starters in week 1 for a series and then not having them play at least a quarter - if not a half in week 2 - does not sit well with me.

I believe Alex needs reps in this offense and he needs reps with these wide receivers in game action badly!

I will be disappointed if Alex doesn’t play more than a half in this game. I think he should play 3 quarters, as should Adrian Peterson and the rest of the starters/most important players except for TWill, CT and Reed.

Now, enough of that. What do we need to Friday night?

1. No more injuries!

2. Beyond Alex getting 3 quarters of work, we need to see what Adrian Peterson has. Jay Gruden said he wants to get AD a good lather in this game which tells me that AD will be a fool so point of the offense. I’d expect AD to get around 15 carries, even if he’s not successful on some of them because Jay really needs to evaluate him and determine if they should keep him on the team in September.

3. We need to see Alex and his receivers continue to have success in the passing game. I liked what I saw last eeek vs the Jets, I just wanted to see more than one series. Alex, Crowder, Doc, PRich & VD should have at least played a quarter, if it were me though, I would’ve played them a half.

4. We need to continue to see this first string defense dominate like they have so far. The D could be pretty good this year and I want to see more of what they can do in this dress rehearsal.

5. Obviously, beyond what we need to see form the starters the closest thing to watch will be the running back battle. AD vs. Kelley vs Bibbs will be entertaining his week. I think most of us are hoping AD showcases himself well because were tired of the Kelley experiment.

6. Lastly, I don’t expect us to see much of the 2nd and 3rd stringers this week, but when they’re in their I hope guys like Cam Sims, Mo Harris, Quinn, the back up OL and the young defenders - particularly the young DBs & young Lbs - impress or show something but again, if I had it my way, these guys would only play a quarter.

Prediction: 

Redskins WIN! 27-17

Saw that Mo Harris is dealing w/ a concussion. I'd like to see Doctson get his butt on the freaking field and catch a few from Smith ! Danny Johnson-. hope he flashes again and Mr Irrelevant . I'm of course pulling from him ! Hope he turns into our Julian Edelman type guy.  

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t think so. I thought I heard on the radio he has a knee injury. I don’t think it’s a serious injury but they said it could keep him from making the team...

*joke* 

I heard he scratched his leg and is entering treatment for P.T.S.D after Will Compton called him out for missing two weeks.

20 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

*joke* 

I heard he scratched his leg and is entering treatment for P.T.S.D after Will Compton called him out for missing two weeks.

Speaking of Will Compton, as of right now he’s one of the starting ILBs for the Titans because their 1st round pick Rashaan Evans can’t get/stay healthy.

Thats a big downgrade from their starter there last year, Avery Wilson.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Speaking of Will Compton, as of right now he’s one of the starting ILBs for the Titans because their 1st round pick Rashaan Evans can’t get/stay healthy.

Thats a big downgrade from their starter there last year, Avery Wilson.

compton always lucks into a starting role lol

10 hours ago, mar29020 said:

compton always lucks into a starting role lol

What sucked for us is that for 2 years Compton was the 2nd best ILB we had after Gruden benched and didn’t re-sign Robinson and cut Riley. For a decade our front office seemed to refuse to upgrade the positon properly until they signed Zach Brown to a prove it contract last year.

Sadly, I’m still not sold the future starting ILBs are on this team after the next few years unless Spaight, JHC or SDH take a massive jump soon in their development.

10 hours ago, turtle28 said:

What sucked for us is that for 2 years Compton was the 2nd best ILB we had after Gruden benched and didn’t re-sign Robinson and cut Riley. For a decade our front office seemed to refuse to upgrade the positon properly until they signed Zach Brown to a prove it contract last year.

Sadly, I’m still not sold the future starting ILBs are on this team after the next few years unless Spaight, JHC or SDH take a massive jump soon in their development.

Compton may not make the team. I read an article yesterday that had him getting outplayed by pretty much everyone. 

Archived