Depth Chart Projection: Defense

WindyCity

DL [6]

RE: RRH, Bullard
NT: Goldman, Jenkins
LE: Hicks, Nichols

This group is pretty much locked in. One of the best developments of the offseason has been the emergence of RRH and the strong play of Jenkins and Nichols. This is probably the deepest position on the team and multiple backups could be starters.

LB: [9]

OLB: Floyd, Irving
ILB: Trevathan, Iggy
ILB: Kwiatowski, Smith
OLB: Acho, Edebali, Fitts

This group is going to be very interesting to watch. ILB seems like it is decided and I would be surprised if they kept 5 players at that spot. The OLB spot is a mess. How can the Bears keep a roster spot for Aaron Lynch? Edebali has had the most productive offseason of the deep backup guys and should probably make the team based on merit. Irving and Fitts have had a couple of moments, but have disappeared. I think Fitts makes it because he is a draft pick and Irving makes it because of the first set ability.

CB: Fuller, Amukamara, Callahan, Leblanc, McManis, Tolliver/Grant [6]

I think this is a unit where the debate starts at the back end of the depth chart about what young developmental CB they keep around and which one they try and slip across to the PR. McManis makes it to captain the special teams, Callahan and Leblanc make it in the slot and as the primary backup, and the starters are obvious. I keep Tolliver, his size is unique and if they can coach up the technique breakdown then they can possibly have some hidden value.

S: Jackson, Amos, Bush, Houston-Carson [4]

The Houston-Carson injury makes this group really tough to call in the 4th spot. If he is out for a while I could see them signing someone like Orr who has had some moments in the preseason. Hall being suspended makes it a much easier decision to cut him as they would need someone to replace him in week 1. My guess is they will role with 3 safeties active on game day and McManis filing the emergency safety role.

I'm not so quick to give up on Lynch, sounds like he practiced today. Curious if he plays Saturday or in the final preseason game, but we need his experience on this roster -- especially since Floyd can't seem to stay healthy. 

DE- Akiem Hicks.....Jonathan Bullard.....RRH.....Bilal Nichols 

DT- Eddie Goldman.....John Jenkins

OLB- Leonard Floyd.....Sam Acho.....Aaron Lynch.....Isaiah Irving.....Kylie Fitts 

ILB- Roquan Smith.....Danny Trevathan.....Nick Kwiatkoski.....Iggy

S- Eddie Jackson.....Adrian Amos.....Deon Bush.....Deiondre Hall 

CB- Kyle Fuller.....Prince Amukamara.....Bryce Callahan.....Crevon LeBlanc.....Sherrick McManis.....Doran Grant

=25

4 hours ago, pigsooie5 said:

OLB- Leonard Floyd.....Sam Acho.....Aaron Lynch.....Isaiah Irving.....Kylie Fitts 

CB- Kyle Fuller.....Prince Amukamara.....Bryce Callahan.....Crevon LeBlanc.....Sherrick McManis.....Doran Grant

=25

Anybody you would really want to try to sign to the practice squad?

DHC, Michael Joseph, Toliver, etc.

21 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Anybody you would really want to try to sign to the practice squad?

DHC, Michael Joseph, Toliver, etc.

I'd have DHC making the roster over Bush and Hall, think he's been our best backup safety in preseason and is one of our better special teams players. All depends on how long his injury is gonna keep him out for though.

Joseph and Grant have been my favourite of the young CBs, if they don't make the roster I hope they're at least on the PS.

34 minutes ago, RJ_11 said:

I'd have DHC making the roster over Bush and Hall, think he's been our best backup safety in preseason and is one of our better special teams players. All depends on how long his injury is gonna keep him out for though.

Joseph and Grant have been my favourite of the young CBs, if they don't make the roster I hope they're at least on the PS.

The issue for DHC isn’t that rather it’s a broken arm he suffered against Denver.

9 hours ago, RJ_11 said:

9 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

The issue for DHC isn’t that rather it’s a broken arm he suffered against Denver.

Beardown hit the nail on the head. He is my favorite of the three and was the best special teamer (besides McManis who was way ahead of everyone IMO) we had. But after recovery he might jump right back into the mix. He is supposed to be out some of the regular season. I have no clue how long though. When he heals he will be in the mix though.

This is the side of the ball where I think there’s a very real chance we see an outside addition after cut down day, especially at edge rusher. dll2000 has it right I think, though I think it’s just as likely that guy signed Tuesday of week 2 is Lamarr Houston or Willie Young. Both have better pass rushing resumes than Lynch (albeit clearly one year patches) and would be plug and play for Fangio. 

On 25/08/2018 at 3:31 PM, pigsooie5 said:

=25

I would swap out Grant for Toliver and maybe Hall for DHC when he is 100% but other than that I think this is spot on.

10 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Yeah, there’s no doubt Toliver’s making the team IMO

I think there is definitely some doubt about whether Toliver makes the team or not. A lot depends on the S, LB, OL, TE groups that have a couple injuries that could force us to carry an extra body at that position rather than one that we have some depth at, like CB. 

3 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

I think there is definitely some doubt about whether Toliver makes the team or not. A lot depends on the S, LB, OL, TE groups that have a couple injuries that could force us to carry an extra body at that position rather than one that we have some depth at, like CB. 

Did well in OTA's and minicamps, bigger named UDFA, fills a depth position, raw but full of talent. I don't think he gets through to the PS so I think he definitely makes the roster and is a weekly inactive for now.

Archived