who looked better as rookies R/R or J/J

James Lofton

On 8/23/2018 at 11:55 AM, Lodestar said:

For me the biggest difference is experience and NFL readiness. Randall and Rollins, for all their potential and rookie season excitement, were both still relatively new to the position. Whereas Josh and Jaire were both EXCELLENT college corners who seem capable of stepping right into NFL competition.

Josh Jackson is new to CB. He had two  years as a corner, one of which he didn’t really play a ton in. He is a converted WR. He did a Rollins and had one great year. It was a red flag during the draft process and also one of his strengths/weakness. He is great great straight ahead speed (from being a WR) struggles with turning and running (from lack of CB reps, it would seem).

12 hours ago, Green19 said:

Josh Jackson is new to CB. He had two  years as a corner, one of which he didn’t really play a ton in. He is a converted WR. He did a Rollins and had one great year. It was a red flag during the draft process and also one of his strengths/weakness. He is great great straight ahead speed (from being a WR) struggles with turning and running (from lack of CB reps, it would seem).

I don't mean to be disagreeable, but I don't think you can compare Jackson and Rollins given that Rollins wasn't even a football player.  At least Jackson was a football player, and the wide receiver experience translates a lot better than point guard.  IMO, Jackson gets downgraded for appearances that are there based on how Kirk Ferentz uses his corners.  

Given the way college football works, it is not unusual for players to have to wait their turn.

I agree we should wait to evaluate them, but I think they are both having a good pre-season and I am hopeful that they will go on to being very fine players for Green Bay.

1 hour ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I don't mean to be disagreeable, but I don't think you can compare Jackson and Rollins given that Rollins wasn't even a football player.  At least Jackson was a football player, and the wide receiver experience translates a lot better than point guard.  IMO, Jackson gets downgraded for appearances that are there based on how Kirk Ferentz uses his corners.  

Given the way college football works, it is not unusual for players to have to wait their turn.

I agree we should wait to evaluate them, but I think they are both having a good pre-season and I am hopeful that they will go on to being very fine players for Green Bay.

Don’t disagree. Just stating based off Lodestar’s original premise that Jackson is also relatively new to the corner back position. He really only had a year at that position in college football and like Rollins it was highlighted by many INTs.

I mean of course the similarities kind of stop there. Jackson did it at bigger school, against bigger competition, background in football not basketball, etc.

Look I love Jackson... was saying the packers should take him at 16. I believe in the kid, but he is also raw at the position. It’s why when everyone was saying he can’t back pedal, can’t do corner back transition techniques, can’t play press man, etc. I was like well give the kid time... only really played the position a year. So he hasn’t had time or exposure to all those things.

Archived