PHREAK'S Dynasty League (Discussion Thread)

WE-R-Lions

3 hours ago, WE-R-Lions said:

It intrigues me, but just not sure, our current waivers are more similar to the NFL's. The difference between ours & the NFL's is the NFL's is stationary ( a team @ 3 stays at 3), and ours moves you to the back if you use it.

In theory the NFL format is helping the bad teams get better and become more competitive.

There is a third option that's also available: (To reset the wavers each Wk to inverse order of standings)?

I saw the new option (FAAB) & that's why I was asking for input/thoughts about changing it. 

I think I would prefer the new option (FAAB).  It seems like a better system in that it requires GM's to make more strategic decisions with regards to who they go after on the waiver wire and how hard.  I think that the current system adds an element of luck to the mix, where you just happen to be first because of others claiming players prior weeks and then a guy just blows up.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, WE-R-Lions said:

It intrigues me, but just not sure, our current waivers are more similar to the NFL's. The difference between ours & the NFL's is the NFL's is stationary ( a team @ 3 stays at 3), and ours moves you to the back if you use it.

In theory the NFL format is helping the bad teams get better and become more competitive.

There is a third option that's also available: (To reset the wavers each Wk to inverse order of standings)?

I saw the new option (FAAB) & that's why I was asking for input/thoughts about changing it. 

Faab allows any player to be acquirable if you pay the right price. You can sell out to get that one guy you really want. 

In our our current system, there are team and player combinations that are impossible. I’m sure a lot of people in this league would favor FAAB.

I guess it comes down to what you think the point of the waiver wire is. In the NFL the point is to improve competitive balance and help the bad teams get better if they're interested in doing so. Faab and rolling waivers do the opposite because the teams that are already good do not need to make as many claims as bad teams. 

If we're not even considering weekly inverse order reset it doesn't really matter. That always would be my vote for dynasty leagues.

Also: the reason I had five players on IR is because my bench was awful and other teams had to cut guys, so I picked them up to get better this year. By upping the IR number you're creating a situation where GMs don't have to make that choice going into the playoffs. Adding an IR spot just decreases the player turnover in a league with precious few opportunities to improve your roster. 

I'll go with whatever you decide, but that's my $0.02

1 hour ago, nagahide13 said:

I'm good with it. Also, did we ever decide on whether we're expanding QBs etc?

I don't remember that being brought up? but if so, I don't see that working in a 16 team league with bye wk's and only 32 QB's available.

On 3/8/2019 at 8:29 AM, jollyninja said:

I guess it comes down to what you think the point of the waiver wire is. In the NFL the point is to improve competitive balance and help the bad teams get better if they're interested in doing so. Faab and rolling waivers do the opposite because the teams that are already good do not need to make as many claims as bad teams. 

If we're not even considering weekly inverse order reset it doesn't really matter. That always would be my vote for dynasty leagues.

Also: the reason I had five players on IR is because my bench was awful and other teams had to cut guys, so I picked them up to get better this year. By upping the IR number you're creating a situation where GMs don't have to make that choice going into the playoffs. Adding an IR spot just decreases the player turnover in a league with precious few opportunities to improve your roster. 

I'll go with whatever you decide, but that's my $0.02

I'm struggling with competitive balance vs FAAB for the league, From what I've read and believe, both could be good for the league for different reasons. Rolling Wavers and Inverse Order both offer competitive balance. Rolling Wavers allows the worst teams from the previous year to have the first crack at the best waiver pk after that it becomes a balance/strategy between who & when you use a waiver pk. Weekly inverse order helps the weaker teams the most but offers no strategy throughout the year. FAAB could be the most fun and offers balance/strategy between teams for waivers, but doesn't do much for competitive balance for the overall league top to bottom.

Personally I like the idea of using FAAB as it could be fun to see the bidding & $$ spent on players week to week. but as LM prefer competitive balance for the overall health of the league year to year.

Ideally, I wish we could do inverse order of our draft order after the first wk and then change it to FAAB. but that's not an option.

As far as the IR spots, it's a balance between...Remembering were a dynasty league and wanting to keep our players and able to fill a full roster week to week -vs- having to drop a good player you have to drop do to an injury.

I see your point, but I would rather add an IR spot and use it if you need it -vs- adding an additional bench spot to help with filling a roster week to week.

Overall some of those same players will be dropped at the keeper deadline which helps create the competitive balance year to year. 

8 hours ago, WE-R-Lions said:

I'm struggling with competitive balance vs FAAB for the league, From what I've read and believe, both could be good for the league for different reasons. Rolling Wavers and Inverse Order both offer competitive balance. Rolling Wavers allows the worst teams from the previous year to have the first crack at the best waiver pk after that it becomes a balance/strategy between who & when you use a waiver pk. Weekly inverse order helps the weaker teams the most but offers no strategy throughout the year. FAAB could be the most fun and offers balance/strategy between teams for waivers, but doesn't do much for competitive balance for the overall league top to bottom.

Personally I like the idea of using FAAB as it could be fun to see the bidding & $$ spent on players week to week. but as LM prefer competitive balance for the overall health of the league year to year.

Ideally, I wish we could do inverse order of our draft order after the first wk and then change it to FAAB. but that's not an option.

As far as the IR spots, it's a balance between...Remembering were a dynasty league and wanting to keep our players and able to fill a full roster week to week -vs- having to drop a good player you have to drop do to an injury.

I see your point, but I would rather add an IR spot and use it if you need it -vs- adding an additional bench spot to help with filling a roster week to week.

Overall some of those same players will be dropped at the keeper deadline which helps create the competitive balance year to year. 

You can manually set waiver order as LM, which makes your idea possible

On 3/11/2019 at 6:02 PM, chisoxguy7 said:

You can manually set waiver order as LM, which makes your idea possible

I'm not sure you can do that mid year, but even if you can, as a LM I prefer to set it one time and be done with it so I can focused on my team the balance of the year.