PHREAK'S Dynasty League (Discussion Thread)

WE-R-Lions

39 minutes ago, Foooooooootball said:

Usually hits a lull right around now in the draft. People are busy during the weekend too, so hopefully things will pick back up tomorrow.

Ya, weekends always seams to be a tad slow that's why I started starting the drafts on Monday 's

2 hours ago, WE-R-Lions said:

Ya, weekends always seams to be a tad slow that's why I started starting the drafts on Monday 's

This is also a less exciting period.  People are going to have to start drafting kickers and defenses soon, which isn’t fun. 

I still wish that we could expand the rosters/keepers a bit. It’s hard to develop some players that aren’t good right away with our limited keeper slots, and it’s just not fun to almost always have to spend 2/6 rookie picks on a kicker and defense. Of the guys I got this year I’ll probably only get to keep 1 or 2.  I’d love to keep a few more players or have a taxi squad or something. 

Edited by Lions017

11 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

On the opposite side, my roster wass super top heavy and extremely bad. I'll probably keep at least 4 of the guys I draft. xD

Does that mean you will be keeping Josh Jacobs or your k'er?? :D

On a serious note: I see both sides, But as a LM/GM I do like having to make tough choices on Keepers for the better teams and it helps other teams that have bigger holes to fill making the league more competitive overall. 

That said, I am open to the Idea of an extra roster spot because we are Dynasty league, but just not 100% sold on the Idea unless we had 100% buy-in from the GM's

If we added one,  I feel we would need to do it in the proper order so all teams can plan for it, to make it fair to all, something like:

Next year we would keep 12 as normal, then add a roster spot, do a one time 7-Rd draft. The following year we would keep 13. W/ a 6Rd draft.

This would make our FA selections throughout the year extremely thin but would add a roster spot & keeper to each team. 

Edited by WE-R-Lions

2 hours ago, WE-R-Lions said:

Does that mean you will be keeping Josh Jacobs or your k'er?? :D

On a serious note: I see both sides, But as a LM/GM I do like having to make tough choices on Keepers for the better teams and it helps other teams that have bigger holes to fill making the league more competitive overall. 

That said, I am open to the Idea of an extra roster spot because we are Dynasty league, but just not 100% sold on the Idea unless we had 100% buy-in from the GM's

If we added one,  I feel we would need to do it in the proper order so all teams can plan for it, to make it fair to all, something like:

Next year we would keep 12 as normal, then add a roster spot, do a one time 7-Rd draft. The following year we would keep 13. W/ a 6Rd draft.

This would make our FA selections throughout the year extremely thin but would add a roster spot & keeper to each team. 

Isn't that the point of dynasty, though? I know that it's just semantics, but this isn't a dynasty league. It's a big keeper league. Which is fine, I still have a lot of fun with it, it's just not a dynasty league. In a true dynasty league most of your roster has to come through the draft and trades. Waivers are supposed to be super thin. You're supposed to be able to draft guys and develop them on your team. It does make it harder for teams to rebuild, but that's the point. I shouldn't have been able to add guys like Robert Woods to my team through free agency, but in this league I was able to. You're kind of discouraged from taking any project type of players because you can't hold onto them long enough to watch them develop unless you're rebuilding. Looking back through the years I've had to let guys like Kenyan Drake and George Kittle go way before the peaked just because there wasn't room for them on our rosters. 

Edited by Lions017

19 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

Isn't that the point of dynasty, though? I know that it's just semantics, but this isn't a dynasty league. It's a big keeper league. Which is fine, I still have a lot of fun with it, it's just not a dynasty league. In a true dynasty league most of your roster has to come through the draft and trades. Waivers are supposed to be super thin. You're supposed to be able to draft guys and develop them on your team. It does make it harder for teams to rebuild, but that's the point. I shouldn't have been able to add guys like Robert Woods to my team through free agency, but in this league I was able to. You're kind of discouraged from taking any project type of players because you can't hold onto them long enough to watch them develop unless you're rebuilding. Looking back through the years I've had to let guys like Kenyan Drake and George Kittle go way before the peaked just because there wasn't room for them on our rosters. 

Ok, did some quick research:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=how+many+players+do+you+keep+in+a+dynasty+league

All FFPC Dynasty League standard format rosters must be cut-down from 20 players to 16 players by 11:59 pm PT, on March 31st of each year.

So, assuming a Std. Dynasty league is 12 teams, a 20 player roster would equal 240 players used to fill all the rosters. (A 14 team league would use: 280 players)

Our current 16 team league with 18 players uses 288 players to fill all the rosters. 

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&ei=JlZIXfySIYqPtAaXo4W4Cg&q=how+many+players+do+you+keep+in+a+keeper+league&oq=how+many+players+do+you+keep+in+a+keeper+league&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0.5904.7478..14578...0.0..0.88.499.6......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0i7i30j0i8i13i30..11%3A1j12%3A1j13%3A0.QViS6jFA2Jk

Common keeper league rules

For example, a league might have rules that simply state “All teams can keep up to five players, but no player can be kept for more than four seasons in a row.” Team tenure is a concept that increases cost the longer a certain player is on the team.

So our league is defiantly not even close to being a keeper league.

But there is a small argument about the percentage of keepers we keep -vs- the percentage  of keepers that a Std league keeps for dynasty leagues.

A Std dynasty league keeps 80% of there roster. 16 of 20

We currently keep 66% of our roster. 12 of 18

if we changed our keepers to 13 & kept the roster size at 18,  72% of our roster would be keepers. (That would mean our draft would be 5 Rd's moving forward)

That being said, It's our League & Our Rules, & Std rules don't necessarily mean there better or worse than ours.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WE-R-Lions said:

Ok, did some quick research:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=how+many+players+do+you+keep+in+a+dynasty+league

All FFPC Dynasty League standard format rosters must be cut-down from 20 players to 16 players by 11:59 pm PT, on March 31st of each year.

So, assuming a Std. Dynasty league is 12 teams, a 20 player roster would equal 240 players used to fill all the rosters. (A 14 team league would use: 280 players)

Our current 16 team league with 18 players uses 288 players to fill all the rosters. 

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&ei=JlZIXfySIYqPtAaXo4W4Cg&q=how+many+players+do+you+keep+in+a+keeper+league&oq=how+many+players+do+you+keep+in+a+keeper+league&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0.5904.7478..14578...0.0..0.88.499.6......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0i7i30j0i8i13i30..11%3A1j12%3A1j13%3A0.QViS6jFA2Jk

Common keeper league rules

For example, a league might have rules that simply state “All teams can keep up to five players, but no player can be kept for more than four seasons in a row.” Team tenure is a concept that increases cost the longer a certain player is on the team.

So our league is defiantly not even close to being a keeper league.

But there is a small argument about the percentage of keepers we keep -vs- the percentage  of keepers that a Std league keeps for dynasty leagues.

A Std dynasty league keeps 80% of there roster. 16 of 20

We currently keep 66% of our roster. 12 of 18

if we changed our keepers to 13 & kept the roster size at 18,  72% of our roster would be keepers. (That would mean our draft would be 5 Rd's moving forward)

That being said, It's our League & Our Rules, & Std rules don't necessarily mean there better or worse than ours.

Dynasty leagues typically have larger rosters, like you mentioned, and allow you to keep most or all of your players. Some even have taxi squads where you can stash some players to let them develop. 

I do think that it would be fun to keep more players. I would be for increasing the roster a bit and adding 1-2 keepers. Rolling it out in a year or two would of course be necessary, but I'm not sure if everyone wants to play in that sort of league. It's a bit more intense and involved. 

1 minute ago, Lions017 said:

Dynasty leagues typically have larger rosters, like you mentioned, and allow you to keep most or all of your players. Some even have taxi squads where you can stash some players to let them develop. 

I do think that it would be fun to keep more players. I would be for increasing the roster a bit and adding 1-2 keepers. Rolling it out in a year or two would of course be necessary, but I'm not sure if everyone wants to play in that sort of league. It's a bit more intense and involved. 

The ESPN site doesn't provide accommodations for a taxi squad, & I'm not keeping track of that.

I don't know It would be more fun to have more keepers necessarily for me, As a GM, I do like the challenge of drafting/trading & picking my keepers.