V. williams 4 yrs, Boz 4 years

3rivers

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8605/vince-williams

if this is accurate, what do you think? I thought he was under contract, so I also thought we had needs elsewhere that we could spend on.  CB, ILB, Safety for examples but appears the team is set and signing who they want to keep.  No cap space left to  sign Mack if we traded bell and dupree for him :ph34r:

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I like both the signings. The amount of hate Vince gets on here is ridiculous. 

boswell is a top 5 kicker and now gets paid as the 6th highest kicker if i saw that correctly so not bad at all for us.

I agree entirely that williams gets way too much hate on this board. I get it he is not shazier and will never be shazier but this deal added to his 2mil this year makes it a 4 year deal for just over 20 mil. anyone want to name me another lb who had 8 sacks and signs an extension that cheap? He is a very solid player with some strengths and some weaknesses. He is not our problem and always talking of replacing him is not the answer. He paired extremely well with shazier because what he lacked in athletic ability shazier had in spades. I do think a plus athlete ilb is on the priority list for this team but there was none to be had at our picks in the draft and the ones we could have signed would have cost way more than we can afford.

6 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I like both the signings. The amount of hate Vince gets on here is ridiculous. 

He’s a 2 down thumper...good in that regard but $$$ seems kinda steep....wanna see guaranteed part

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

VW is a very well paid backup. 

I like VW as a reserve , and agree  with this statement . The team forgot what the ILB standard "was".  VW is a good reserve as Foote was, but when are we getting players like Timmons or Farrior? I am not asking for another shazier or Lambert, I am being reasonable.  Could we have signed Bowman for a similar amount?

@steelcurtain29  agreed .  I would pay that for Ray Guy type punter because ST is underrated and really helps field position.  Along with new rules/penalties, it could go a long ways in changing the outcome of close games .

I don't believe in paying kickers unless you have someone like the guy in Baltimore. Someone with unique talents. Boswell supposedly being clutch doesn't cut it for me. Especially when you look at the fact that he was an unknown who replaced a guy who people talked up as Mr. Clutch. Do people even remember Suisham?

Yes i remember Suisham. He declined, wasnt healthy. Boswell isnt nearly as unknown as youre making it seem. Boswell was among the best kickers in his final year at Rice and consistent through college. He is kicking 89% siccessfully. 85/95 in his career. Thats pretty darn clutch imo. I wanted us to draft him, people called me nuts for wanting to draft a Kicker, its ironic we ended up with him anyway.

2 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

I don't believe in paying kickers unless you have someone like the guy in Baltimore. Someone with unique talents. Boswell supposedly being clutch doesn't cut it for me. Especially when you look at the fact that he was an unknown who replaced a guy who people talked up as Mr. Clutch. Do people even remember Suisham?

Boswell has 4 out of the 5 longest kicks made in Hienz Field history and won us 6 out of 8 at one point. That’s not special to you?

3 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Yes i remember Suisham. He declined, wasnt healthy. Boswell isnt nearly as unknown as youre making it seem. Boswell was among the best kickers in his final year at Rice and consistent through college. He is kicking 89% siccessfully. 85/95 in his career. Thats pretty darn clutch imo. I wanted us to draft him, people called me nuts for wanting to draft a Kicker, its ironic we ended up with him anyway.

He didn't decline. He  got a contract extension and was injured in the HOF game. Never played again. The team had just given him a 4 year contract extension. Just like Boswell. I could go back and find the old threats of people on this forum talking about him. It's pretty similar to how they talk about Boswell.

Boswell was on his third team, and unemployed weeks into the season when the Steelers brought him in off the couch. Yea, he was some guy. Like nearly all kickers are.

Boswell has 4 out of the 5 longest kicks made in Hienz Field history and won us 6 out of 8 at one point. That’s not special to you?

I'd like to see a source on 4 of the 5 longest kicks made at Heinz. But regardless, his main competition are previous kickers. The two longest stints at Heinz pre Bos were Reed and Suisham. Two guys that people also thought were super clutch, but who lacked leg strength. Boswell himself isn't a guy you go into a game every week and say to yourself he's a weapon. If we get within 55 yards, I'm going to kick it. The previous two seasons, Tomlin actively avoided having Boswell even attempt from 50+.

People are going to sit here and malign paying Vince Williams the absolute minimum you pay a starting veteran ILB, then clap and applaud that they signed a replaceable kicker at top dollar.

Archived